Ducati Sportclassic

big J

I had a wee spin on one of the new Ducati Sportclassics today.

I've been curoius about them since seeing pictures of them and wanted to try one out to see how it compared to the V11.I would not get rid of my Guzzi,but I just wanted to have a bit of perspective about it.

First impressions- the Duke doesn't look as good in the flesh as it did in the photos. Somehow the proportions seem wrong,I'm not sure I could exactly put my finger on why,but it doesn't seem to have the elegant lines of the old bevel drive bikes.Maybe I was just expecting something different to what I was seeing, but something seemed to be lacking in the looks dept.

Anyhow,got on and fired it up.Very quiet,no Conti's here!

Christ,the clip-ons are low!

The bars seem to be on a level with your knees with a lot of weight on your wrists. The controls all work ok,but there isn't a lot of torque low down.Through town the riding position was awful,absolutely appalling.I've got sore wrists and back after 25 minutes,the neck's going stiff too.(this may be a reflection of the state of my body after many years of abuse,but it's much more extreme than the V11.)

Onto the open road,it's a bit better,but you need to be above around60 or so before the wind pressure lifts you a bit. Handling and roadholding are ok-certainly not a quantum leap forward over the Guz,maybe a bit more composed,but not enough to be significantly quicker.

Power wise,it's about the same,though the Guz has a good bit more torque lower down,the Duke needs quite a bit of revving to get a move on,even needing a downshift in places where simply rolling on the gas would normally see me overtake.

Brakes were very good,about the same as the V11.

All in all,I was a bit disappointed with the Duke.It seems slightly awkward at times,lacking that kind of fluid feel and ease with which the Guz can be belted about.

Still,they'll probably sell shedloads of them,but I wonder if the riding position isn't a bit extreme for the kind of cruising/posing market they're intended for.

Maybe I should develop a handlebar conversion kit. :D

Anyway, just thought I'd pass on a few impressions.

For me,the V11 is a better bike in just about every way, especially styling. I dont know why exactly,but I just dont think the Duke has the classic lines I was expecting,almost as if a non-motorcyclist had seen pictures of an old one and had restyled it.

All the above is of course subjective,others may think it's beautiful. One mans meat,etc,blah,blah,blah..................

I dropped by the shop (ATD) this morning and they had several in there -- including one Sport with the aftermarket Termignoni exhaust on it. Haven't ridden one yet -- don't know that I'll get the chance -- but I personally LOVE the looks of all of them.

A friend just sold his MH900E and got the orange Sport. I'll check with him when he can really RIDE it (he's just breaking it in now) and see what he has to say.

They'll sell all they can make -- I think.

Also saw my first Breva 1100 -- complete with plastic chrome trim. Yuck. A big, homely dog of a bike -- in my (not so) humble opinion. As I hate it, it'll probably be a stellar sales success. :P

v50

Also saw my first Breva 1100 -- complete with plastic chrome trim.  Yuck.  A big, homely dog of a bike -- in my (not so) humble opinion.  As I hate it, it'll probably be a stellar sales success. :P

v50

77249[/snapback]

Mmmm, know what you mean about the Breva's chrome trim. I've grown to like the funky front end/petrol tank styling - sort of reminds me of 1950's American cars :whistle:.

Breva.jpg

Mmmm, know what you mean about the Breva's chrome trim. I've grown to like the funky front end/petrol tank styling - sort of reminds me of 1950's American cars  :whistle:

Breva.jpg

77255[/snapback]

Do you still like it, Chris? My dealer says I can ride one when I'm ready, so I'm looking forward to that.

Going back to Ducatis, I have fond memories, spanning almost 20 years, of this beast. It looked right and by Christ it tramped along! I had the inlet ports opened, ran it on 40mm pumper Dellortos and stainless Conti replicas. It was an animal if you got corners wrong, however, despite all my experiments with shock absorber/tyre combinations/fork spacers and oil weights.........and I fell off it twice. A proper bike, then.

DarmahGilera_crop.jpg

Mmmm, know what you mean about the Breva's chrome trim. I've grown to like the funky front end/petrol tank styling - sort of reminds me of 1950's American cars  :whistle:

Breva.jpg

77255[/snapback]

That's the exact color combination of the one I saw this morning. The bike is just too BIG and the styling too DISJOINTED for me.

Dig the centerstand, though -- and can't wait to see a Griso in the flesh.

Since I have both the new Ducati Classic Sport 1000 and have Moto Guzzi's, here is my take.

Compared to my 2000 V11 Sport, the Duc. Sport 1000 runs flawlessly. No coughts, hickups, flatspots, it just runs. My 03 Rosso ran the same way from the dealer. Meaning, the 03 Guzzi's were more dialed in.

The Ducks bars are low, but that is what I like (yes, I was the one with aftermarket clipons on my new V11 Sport). Hard on wrist, yes, but you will get used to it. Does it need any type of fairing, NO, the bar position is low enough to keep you out of the wind.

On a ride, you will notice that the Duck feels lighter, infact the Duck is at least 100 lbs. lighter. Shifting of the six speed is click, click, click, No false neutrals as of yet. The bike feels smooth as a babies behind, which could be a bad thing, cause I miss the Guzzi's throbbing character! :mg: Steering is noticeably quicker, which I don't know if it is any better than the Guzzi. Looks wise, I like the more NAKID bike look (seeing more frame, wire wheels, vintage look).

So, my gut feeling is: You need a bigger garage to fit your Guzzi and Ducati Classic Sport 1000.

Mike

My 2 local dealers have sold out every one, and they havn't all arrived yet. They will save Ducati from hitting the financial wall in the short term [the other bikes are selling poorly, except the Monster of course].

They are of course lovely looking things to most everyone who grew up around the old bevel drive machines, which to me are pure Ducati. I've probably brought this up before, but I can't help thinking that Moto Guzzi with the V11 was perhaps 6 yrs ahead of Ducati in this new trend of making retro machines with cosmetic characteristics from older models. Makes you wonder which road Moto Guzzi is going down with the complete departure of this trend, with the baby boomers just now starting to spend huge money on grown up toys that call from their youth.

Ciao, Steve G.

So, my gut feeling is:  You need a bigger garage to fit your Guzzi and Ducati Classic Sport 1000.

77315[/snapback]

i love ducatis. I had a '89 750 Sport and a '93 Superlight and they were delighful. The 900 was more fragile but geen what a bike :)

The only reason i didn't get a third ducati is i didn't like the SSie line at all and didn't want to go into 4 valves territory as I'm more interested in developping my ability as a rider than having a bike that develops 120 Hp at the back wheel...(So, one of the reason i choose the Ghezzi-Brian is it's the ultimate 2 valves twin cylinders italian machine).

The classic line looks too nostalgic to me. I hate anyone to remind how "old" i really am ;) and i've always found the duc 2 valves frame a bit flimsy when ridden hard. Is that still the case ?

Do you still like it, Chris? My dealer says I can ride one when I'm ready, so I'm looking forward to that.

Yes I still like it. I don't regret buying the Breva, it's everything I'd hoped it would be. Once the better weather arrives I can continue my 'intensive mileage program' :bike:

Back to Ducati's :blush::whistle:..... my little bruv had a black/gold Darmah just like yours. He currently owns a 916, Monster 900 and a 860GT - but no Guzzi's....

I went to have a look at the sport classics too, and had a sit on the Smart and a go on the Sport 1000. On both bikes I could tell the bars would be uncomfortably low, particularly on the Smart. The 1000 was painful on the wrists riding it and that the one with higher bars. Yes, they look great to be sure, but there is no room for a pillion and I decided the Buell would more suit my needs. I didn't think the Duke would really complement the V11.

I went to have a look at the sport classics too, and had a sit on the Smart and a go on the Sport 1000. On both bikes I could tell the bars would be uncomfortably low, particularly on the Smart. The 1000 was painful on the wrists riding it and that the one with higher bars. Yes, they look great to be sure, but there is no room for a pillion and I decided the Buell would more suit my needs. I didn't think the Duke would really complement the V11.

77349[/snapback]

yeah thats what I'm thinking I need a different bike for different occasions not 2 of a kind. :huh2:

I'm leaning towards 1200GS(had only read about it sitting on it opened my eyes) but the $5,000 over the Ulysses makes me think buell. both are tasty to me growing up on a farm and learning/thrashing on a dirt bike. ultimately the HP2 would be really awersome but NOT for $20,000.

I sat on the sport 1000, and the paul smart. I liked the paul smart in person a lot more than I thought I would and the bars were so low it hurt my wrist just sitting on it. The most comfortable bike I sat on was actually the Breva 1100, and most uncomfortable was Ducati 749/999 how would you ride that for more than 10 miles I dunno :huh2: Its obvious that Ducati only cares about one thing and I am sure they do it well, but it needs to be rideable to.

The ural patrols were interesting to say the least I didn't know they were $10,000 abouts with 50 year old technology but 2wd doesn't hurt right? thinking about it the Guzzi is kinda in the same boat 50 year technology for about $12,000

the griso, was very heavy-from just getting off the R1 aniversary to the griso might have tainted my views.

thats all from me. :ninja:

I can't remember how tall Ingrid is, but the seat height of the Classic Sport is very tall at 31 inches. This makes the bars feel even lower.

Mike

Glad you like yours ! We just our phone call to say that Ingrid's Paul Smart arrived at the dealer, so i'll be excited to pick that up.

77320[/snapback]

yeah thats what I'm thinking I need a different bike for different occasions not 2 of a kind.  :huh2:

I'm leaning towards 1200GS(had only read about it sitting on it opened my eyes) but the $5,000 over the Ulysses makes me think buell. both are tasty to me growing up on a farm and learning/thrashing on a dirt bike. ultimately the HP2 would be really awersome but NOT for $20,000.

77372[/snapback]

I have ridden a BMW Rockster which I guess would be similar to the GS. You will find the engine harsh. Much more so than your V11, and BMW servo brakes are a bit odd. If you do get one, the ABS option is essential. In the UK the Buell doesn't have the price advantage over the GS so much, the GS is only about £500 more. The Buell got a bit of a panning in tests up against the R1200GS, but some of that might be down to anti American sentiment. I don't doubt Buell tested the Uly pretty extensively both physically and market wise. If you try one, let me know what you think. I think it looks good, but none of these "giant trailies" are really practical on the rough stuff.

I prefer the look of the KTM 950 Adventure- BMW GS's are as common as muck round here.

Although give them their due- I have ridden every week this winter (except at Xmas when I was snowed in) and I have seen more GS's out and about in the cold and wet than any other bike.

Guy :helmet: