A little help

docc

I just got some new dirt bike boots from Gaerne. (Having dropped the bike on my leg again yesterday I'd say they work pretty well.)

Telling a friend about the boots we could not agree on how to say 'Gaerne.' It occurs to me that we here in the US are not very colorful in our flare for pronouncing much of the gear we wear. So I figured I'd come to the Fountainhead and get the real skinny on some of these mysteries:Help me out here:

Gaerne - gar-NAY? gern as in 'earn?'

Diadora - dee-uh-DOR-uh? dee-ADD'ruh?

Dainese - DANE-eze? DIE-uh-neet-see?

Guzzi - GOOT-zee? GOO-zee?

I just got some new dirt bike boots from Gaerne. (Having dropped the bike on my leg again yesterday I'd say they work pretty well.)

Telling a friend about the boots we could not agree on how to say 'Gaerne.' It occurs to me that we here in the US are not very colorful in our flare for pronouncing much of the gear we wear. So I figured I'd come to the Fountainhead and get the real skinny on some of these mysteries:Help me out here:

Gaerne  -  gar-NAY?  gern as in 'earn?'

Diadora  -  dee-uh-DOR-uh?    dee-ADD'ruh?

Dainese  -  DANE-eze?    DIE-uh-neet-see?

Guzzi  -      GOOT-zee?  GOO-zee?

77362[/snapback]

Dropped you bike on you leg "again?" Damn, what's with that? :( That kind of behavior will eventually take its toll man...my advice it to stop doing it. ;)

Well, I've got no inside info on any of these pronounciations but favor the GOOT-zee (with the "t"), dee-uh-DOR-uh, die-uhn-ESE (another option?) and gar-NAY. But like I said, that's just me.

And while we're on the topic...any thoughts about how to pronounce Givi?

Last time I dropped a bike, it was my Gootzie 750S3, it was my fault, the Gootzie was not as badly hurt as my pride AND I avoided damaging my comfortable Gay-earn boots. Dropping your Gootzie on your bootzie is a double whoopzie. What were you thinking of, Docc?

I once dropped a Hinckley triple on my wife. She wasn't impressed, but her bootzies were OK.

Not as bad as a former girlfriend, though, who reversed her car over her mother. I saw the signs, here, made excuses, and didn't see her again.

Help me out here:

Gaerne  -  gar-NAY?  gern as in 'earn?'

Diadora  -  dee-uh-DOR-uh?    dee-ADD'ruh?

Dainese  -  DANE-eze?    DIE-uh-neet-see?

Guzzi  -      GOOT-zee?  GOO-zee?

77362[/snapback]

Guzzi is "Goot-see". Just like pizza is "peet-suh".

Dainese is "Day-uh-nee-see" or "Day-in-easy".

Diadora is "Dee-uh-dora".

Gaerne is "Gar-nay".

Damn, what's with that? ...my advice it to stop doing it.  ;)

And while we're on the topic...any thoughts about how to pronounce Givi?

77364[/snapback]

It was , once again, one of my Maneating Honda XRs that I washed the front out on a muddy downhill and WHUP-SLAM onto the right leg. They say riding dirt will make you a better street rider. I'm coming around more to your advice, "Hurts when you do that?. . . . Don't do that." :cheese:

Givi? I'm thinking 'ZHEE-vee.'

And what about:

Stucchi - STEW-chee? or STEW-kee?

Marchesini - MARCH-es-EEN-ee? MAR-shes'nee?

It's nightfall here now. By breakfast our Euro-brethren will have enlightened us with a language lesson. But not before the Aussies have their way with it. God, I love this stuff. :notworthy:

Oh, also:

Acerbis - uh-CHER-bis? uh-SHARE-bus?

I realize this enlightenment may be rather superfluous here in Lower Middle Muletown, or what BFG liked calling the Tenni Sea. Not long ago I was parked in front of theHarley dealer ( picking up some lenses for the Sport) when an unsuspescting lass asked "Who makes that?"

" MOH-ta' GOOT-zie", I sez in my best Italian lilt. The Asian looking chick rolls her eyes and disappears into the boutique. :rolleyes: I was hoping she'd ask if my leathers were real DIE-neet-zee and would I mind if she copped a feel. Alas, I was dreaming. This is Tenni Sea. :blush: