bubbling engine paint

Guest john needham

Guest john needham

Can anyone can help? I`ve bought a mint 02 V11 with only 1700 m on the clock. On closer inspection the paint on the engine block has some bubbles (has not flaked yet!). Until reading issues on this site I thought the bubbles were actually part of the effect!

Do I just let it flake off? What`s underneath - will it rust? Can I repaint? Have I any recourse to MG or dealer?

Cheers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John

Its a well known problem which I believe is caused by the motors at the time not being degreased properly at the factory before being painted.

If it was still under warranty, your dealer would have taken out the motor and got it stripped and resprayed for you. I presume the warranty has expired by now if it is a 2002 model.

Did you buy it from a dealer or was it a private sale? If it was from a dealer you could try and persuade them to sort it out.

Helen's bike is a little flaky (well so is she!) and we don't worry about it.

P.S. Are you in the Guzzi club? If not please feel welcome to come along next Monday night to the Pennine branch meeting. Several other V11 owners will be there if you want to chat- details on www.penninebranch.co.uk.

Regards

Guy :helmet:

Can anyone can help?  I`ve bought a mint 02 V11 with only 1700 m on the clock.  On closer inspection the paint on the engine block has some bubbles (has not flaked yet!).  Until reading issues on this site I thought the bubbles were actually part of the effect!

Do I just let it flake off?  What`s underneath - will it rust? Can I repaint?  Have I any recourse to MG or dealer?

Cheers

77734[/snapback]

bubbling paint threads

:bier:

Here is what I did as the bubbles were mostly at the ribbing on the engine cases on the right side.

1) Remove the bubbles/flakes of paint with a screwdriver.

2) Clean up the remaining paint edges with a dremel and small grinding bit.

3) Clean with a chemical spray (such as a brake cleaner).

4) Mask off the rest of the engine and respray the offending with Harley Davidson engine wrinkle paint (spray can, available at the dealer, reasonably prices).

It now looks superb and has remained bitchin'! I have pics posted in the thread on the powdercoating of the porkchops in the how-to section.

OR.... tie up the bike in the shop for 6 months in the shop for (hopefully) warrantee work.

Carl :)

Take pictures, go to your nearest dealer, put in a claim with MGNA. Make sure you call MGNA and send them a copy too and try to get some free stuff from them instead of the engine cases. I know it is out of warranty, but they might give you a jacket or something. If you have a dealer like the one in the Livermore C.A area, (worthless as tits on a boer hog) then you really need to follow up constantly. It took 6 months under warranty for me.

Can anyone can help?  I`ve bought a mint 02 V11 with only 1700 m on the clock.  On closer inspection the paint on the engine block has some bubbles (has not flaked yet!).  Until reading issues on this site I thought the bubbles were actually part of the effect!

Do I just let it flake off?  What`s underneath - will it rust? Can I repaint?  Have I any recourse to MG or dealer?

Cheers

77734[/snapback]

Its no big deal, I just touched mine up with the harley wrinkle black paint as stated here, and put in a warranty settlement claim with MG. I got the gorgeous carbon fiber kit for free, ( fairing, front fender, instrument mount, and starter cover) great deal as far as im concerned. the bubbles can be popped and its just a glossy black paint underneath. get your "freebies " from MG, dont worry too much about the paint, Ride on, and enjoy! :D:thumbsup:

Paul. I noticed the location. Thats why I said A DEALER LIKE the one ..... I am sure they might have worthless dealers that will not follow up on issues even in GB.

Here is what I did as the bubbles were mostly at the ribbing on the engine cases on the right side.

1) Remove the bubbles/flakes of paint with a screwdriver.

2) Clean up the remaining paint edges with a dremel and small grinding bit.

3) Clean with a chemical spray (such as a brake cleaner).

4) Mask off the rest of the engine and respray the offending with Harley Davidson engine wrinkle paint (spray can, available at the dealer, reasonably prices).

It now looks superb and has remained bitchin'! I have pics posted in the thread on the powdercoating of the porkchops in the how-to section.

OR.... tie up the bike in the shop for 6 months in the shop for (hopefully) warrantee work.

Carl  :)

77760[/snapback]

Say Carl, did you paint the complete engine with the HD paint, or just touch up the peeling sections?

No, I didn't paint the whole engine, just the small area where the bubbling was. After I took it on a ride and the paint cured, the only way you can tell it was touched up is if you're told. Another product for Harleys is Pig Snot or S100. Both bring the wrinkle paint back to life.

Carl

No, I didn't paint the whole engine, just the small area where the bubbling was. After I took it on a ride and the paint cured, the only way you can tell it was touched up is if you're told. Another product for Harleys is Pig Snot or S100. Both bring the wrinkle paint back to life.

Carl

78477[/snapback]

Yepper, Carl Ive used the S 100, with the precision spray tip, awesome shit, made in germany,and pricey, but worth it, It maker the wrinkle finish on my guzzi rear drive , and tranny look brand new again! Thanks ,Rick.

what if the paint DONT bubble?! on my greanie it just sighs, gives a shudder and lets go.....

i guess yall talk about black wrinkle finish, what about silver? harley paint for that too?

Once you smash enough bugs on it, no one will notice. It has no effect on performance or bug-smashing potential whatsoever...Ride it! k

Once you smash enough bugs on it, no one will notice.  It has no effect on performance or bug-smashing potential whatsoever...Ride it! k

78546[/snapback]

yes indeed, I will. but theres also been said that this specific aluminium alloy dont have much corrosion resistance (different from the old engines, with a different alloy), so it wont hurt to cover up the nekkid spots.