Perpetual Paint Problems

Guest IanJ

So, I was checking the pressure in my rear tire this morning, when I saw a big piece of thin plastic fall down from somewhere. It didn't look like anything that should have come out of my garage, or off my head, so I looked around a little bit under the bike (2002 Le Mans). Sure enough, a huge (more than 1" square) piece of paint had flaked off the final drive.

When I arrived at work, I took a quick snapshot of the missing paint to send to my local dealer, and noticed that there was another spot that had already flaked off several months ago (confirmed in another photo from February 27). You can see a picture of the missing paint here:

Flaky final picture

So, has anyone else seen this happening? This area of my bike has had oil and brake cleaner on it (the brake cleaner having been applied by the dealership, so I hope they knew what they were doing). I just went to confirm that the second chip I saw was really a chip, and in poking very lightly confirmed that a huge swath of this paint will be gone in a month or two, and look like utter crap. Of course I'll be talking to my dealership about a warranty exchange or repaint, but still. Was MG so cheap they couldn't even use decent paint or surface prep? Anyone know what the story is here?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian,

Interesting that you just started this thread, as I had just brought this up yesterday in another thread...

But WOW! ... that is most extreme example I've seen yet of this problem. Most of the problems I've so far have been little "bubbles" that seem to "pop" when you hit them with anything hard, exposing the metal beneath.

But in any case, I have heard(but not confirmed) that MGNA has a bulletin covering this, and the only recourse I've heard is that they'll have you send the cases/bevel/trans *back* to Italy for the new paint... UGH! I can only imagine how long this would take. Does anyone else have any more info on this, and how MG is addressing it?

So in fact, I just commented on this, in the following thread yesterday:

Black versus Silver

I was curious if anyone else has pursued a remedy with MG, and if so what their experience was.

Toward that effort as well, I was asking if Jaap would/could take a moment to "photoshop" a 2002 Champange LeMans with a silver engine/bevel/trans like he did for his Red/Gray 2002.... so that if I need to have the cases repainted under warantee, I can have a good idea what silver might look like... so I can make a good choice... if MG would even honor painting them silver instead of the new black :rolleyes:

al

Does anyone else have any more info on this, and how MG is addressing it?

Since the bubbling engine paint is one of the *MANY* problems on my 2002 Le Mans, and since I have been discussing a possible lemon law situation with Moto-Guzzi I can tell you what Moto Guzzi NA has to say about it so far (this is not a quote, but close to it):

We know we are having problems with bubbling and peeling wrinkle-black engine paint. We had worked on a solution for about the last year that would have enabled our dealers to fix the problem, but the solution didn't work out. Currently we are working on another solution, but I cannot tell you when repairs will be available.

Kinda makes you feel warm & fuzzy all over, doesn't it? My Le Man's engine looks like the elephant man! I responded by telling them that I do love my 2002 Le mans, and I'm sure it would be a great bike if it just weren't such a piece of $hit :)

I just talked to Moto International regarding the flaking final drive, and they said that the preferred option would be to order a new final drive casing (with fresh and presumably well-primed paint), and stuff the innards from the old final drive into the new case. Sounds like a lot of labor to me, but MGNA probably gets a better deal on labor than they do on parts when doing warranty repairs. I'll be getting mine done in a few weeks, when they get the new drive case in.

Guest Jeff Kelland

I too am suffering form flaking paint, pretty severely on the engine of my 2002 lemans. My dealer says that they can repaint it but it won't last or supposedly if I sign an agreement to not pursue the issue I can get a free jacket or some other item in exchange. They are supposed to get more information "soon". We shall see I guess. If I end up having to fix it myself, I'll strip it this winter and paint all the black parts silver.

My dealer says that they can repaint it but it won't last or supposedly if I sign an agreement to not pursue the issue I can get a free jacket or some other item in exchange

...WHAT?! ...a free jacket?! Is it a $10,000 jacket, because that's what it would have to be to balance a factory defective paint job on a similarly valuable bike! :lol:

What dealer is this so I can make sure never to give them my business... are they just idiots, or jerks?

Sorry to be so brusque, I'm not usually so blunt. But that's the most ludicrous thing I've heard yet. Don't sign anything.

As noted by Ian, at the very least MGNA is replacing the affected part(with what quality paint I don't know)... but never-the-less.... And if as I suspect, they are painting the replacement parts with the new smooth black paint(left to be seen), then it ought to last. This "fuzzy" black paint was just a mistake, plain and simple. The black engine paint on my FJ-1200 lasted a decade.

But oh my goodness... your report on this lack of support from a dealer on this issue really took the cake for today's MG dealer SNAFU award. IMHO anyway :angry:

If the dealership as-a-whole(versus just one mechanic's word) are really serious about this "offer," I'd write a letter to MGNA, Aprilia, and MG Italia letting them in on this dealer's "stellar service."

That's ridiculous.

al

P.S.

Sorry to hear about your peeling paint problem. I know it would be expensive for MG, but this really should be a recall issue.

Guest Jeff Kelland

Al, don't worry, I'm not signing anything. It's the only Moto Guzzi dealer (that I know of) in RI. (I live in MA). I'm new to Guzzi's but not to bikes. I traded in my 748 duck for the Le Mans last Oct. I have only ridden it about 600 miles since. I brought it to the dealer for an oil leak at the front, they replaced the front seal, it no longer leaks. I asked them about the pinging and intermittant stalling, they have no warrantable fix. I know I can fix it if I want to spend the money, and I undoubtedly will. I asked about the paint, I've posted their reply. They also replaced the tach as the prior owner (it had 2300 miles on it when I bought it) had complained about it fogging, it never fogged on me but the new one does. I have had many bikes over the years (including amf hd's) so I've learned to deal with the idiosynchrsies of many brands and I don't see this as a very big deal. I have been in the mechanic, service, dealership trade for 25 years and have found that patience and persistance are the keys to success when these things happen. I just see this as round 1 in a 15 round bout. By the way, so far I kinda like this bike, it doesn't seem to be great at anything nor does it seem to have any real negatives, just a good all around motorcycle, exactly what I was looking for. I'll try to keep you posted, Jeff

Glad to hear you like the bike, and have a patient attitude :)

..I'm just still amazed at that response though :lol:

All the other issues you've mentioned are pretty standard fare though. Once you have them resolved, they shouldn't reappear. The fogging tach will clear up over time on it's own usually, or you can drill a little hole in the back to vent it. I've found that mine fogged at first, but cleared up in a week or so.

Keep us posted :mg:

al

I believe that the option for a jacket or MG accessories worth $600 is an MG incentive, not the dealers. It's just the manufacturer or MGNA trying to slither out from warranty responsibilities.

Guest Flagon

Hi everybody !

I have a red/gray Le Mans,the flaking paint is just one of the many issues.

They should really recall all the 2001 bikes (that's what the red/gray and the champagne,crystal cuvee in official MG parlance,really are).

I am in Italy and I'm discussing the thing with MG Italy attorneys right now (just discussing for the time being.)

Also,do you really think that you have to pay any extra money to get suspensions that really work ?

By the way the gearshift lever of my bike disconnected from the command rod from the gearbox and the steering damper broke its attachment point and exploded spitting oil everywhere,both of this while moving.

Some heads are gonna roll !

Ciao,Francesco.