Isle of Man

docc

Chatting with a friend he asked if I'd seen the bike being made in the Isle of Man. ( I haven't)

We went on to debate whether the Isle is 'England ' or "Northern Ireland.' Sure it's UK and I'm sure folks there would tell you they are "Manx", but what's the real deal? :huh2:

Along with the Channel Islands the Isle of Man enjoys a largely autonomous Government even down to taxation policy. In this respect it is much more independent than NI or any of the rest of mainland UK even after devolution. I don't exactly know the arcane details of the island's legal status within the UK, but I'm sure someone will search it out.

We are part of the British Isles but not part of the UK.

We have our own government...Tynwald which is the oldest continuous parliament in the world....Kicked off around 970AD IIRC.

It does give us some protection against the worst excesses of the Westminster Government, which we do not elect.

We are not full members of the EEC which appears to equate to reaping all the disadvantages and costs and next to bugger all benefit.

I like it here though. :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

The company I fly for has a holding company based out of the IoM. Several aircraft are "owned" by this company and then leased back to the Canadian company. The owner liked the tax benefits and the excuse to travel to IoM every year although he could never coordinate it with the TT as the lawyers shut their offices during the TT week. I have begged to be the test pilot for that subsidiary for years but to no avail.

The great thing about the IOM is that they shut the roads for racing- would never happen in England.

Does birching still happen Nige?

Guy  :helmet:

77791[/snapback]

That is one of the great things about the place....Not just the TT, there is the Manx Grand Prix and literally a couple of miles down the road from my home we have the Pre-TT Classic and the Southern 100 on the Billown Course at Castletown. :race:

I believe it may still be on the statute books, but it has not been used for about 30 years.

European human rights legislation effectively put a stop to it.

Nige. B)

Is that coming to an end with the move to Nova Scotia?

77866[/snapback]

What move to Nova Scotia? :huh2:

The IOM TT is now run by the Manx Motorcycle Club....

Still going strong, hopefully well past the centenary next year.

Nige. :huh:

Ballacraine, I've never been to the IOM but it is on the list of trips for this summer but I don't want to come when the TT is on (way too busy) but I would like to see some racing. Which of the events would you suggest as being the best.

Cheers.