Gianelli mufflers

mikie

I'm about to spring for aftermarket silencers, and the ones I'm leaning toward are Gianelli's. I've heard, however, that the rear passenger pegs need to disappear if I use these, and as I sometimes take passengers with me, that would not be a good thing. Both of the local dealers that carry these do not know the answer. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who uses these mufflers as to whether they were able to retain their passenger pegs, and if so, whether the position had to be altered much.

...sorry, can't answer your question about Gianelli's, but just as an aside, I'm still surprised someone hasn't come out with an underseat exhaust to show off the swing-arm/bevel/etc...

I'm sure there are a lot of folks that might have aesthetic issues with it, and think it's something of a fad ala Ducati... but I'm still surprised, as I'm sure some folks would think it was fairly nifty. Although there are no doubt all sorts of engineering issues with clearance, heat, etc... I'm sure it could be done.

BTW, moto-italiano is sorting out EFI issues with my ECU after reinstalling the ported heads. It seems that they have finally realized that "something is amiss" and are "zeroing out" all the settings and starting over :P duh!

Oh, and it seems that the rear brake lever is hitting the Leo Vince's no matter what they do to adjust it. They're supposed to let me know on that one.

Apologies for hijacking your thread there!

...back to our regularly scheduled programming :lol:

al

Last year I saw a german V11 rider who had made an underseat solution himself. :wacko: Of course I didn't bring my camera then. (I always do...)

Looked spaghetti-like, but very neat. He had used Supertrapp mufflers.

Somewhere I have the address of the guy that produced it for him (one off) but where... :(

mikie, I have oval Ti-gianelli's under my 2003 v11 lemans rosso corsa and I used the original brackets.

That doesn't fit because the brackets should be wider so at first I used 4 SS spacers M8 per bolt and with a little muscle help it fitted nicely.

But I didn't like the spacers, am still looking for a piece of aluminum thick tube with outerdiam 16 and inner 8 so I can make myself some nice spacers (you'll need 5 mm)

for now I used 4 ss hex nuts m8 but drilled out the thread so theyre used as spacers.

I used 4 new M8 ss bolts (L=35mm / allen type) to get enough thread in as the originals are 30mm.

Now my bro has the same bike but he has mistral oval cans and they fit instantly, they also end a bit higher than mine.

Obviously the giannelli's would fit perfect with their original brackets but

1: they're ugly

2: I sometimes take my wife with me so either I have the passenger pegs or have to invest in a new wife :wub:

so there's the story

If I ever can find a cross over I'll give you an update :P:

Mikie, Hello. I have no direct experience with Gianelli's . On p. 1 of the "Muffler Choices" thread Chris states that "passengers suffer because the rear pegs are mounted higher". So, are rear pegs compatable? Maybe a "private message" to Chris might help you decide. FWIW I really like the look and sound of my Leo's. Joe :sun:

I read my last post about the giannelli's and I saw it's a bit confusing, note when I wrote the original brackets I meant the moto guzzi brackets, I didn't use the giannelli brackets.

hope it clears stuff a bit

chears , rudi

The way I interepret your post, Rudi, is that the Gianelli mufflers won't allow the use of passenger pegs if they are mounted the way nature intended; however, if they're mounted with the Guzzi's bracket rather than the Gianelli's bracket, and a lot of jerry-rigging and futzing around, the passenger pegs can remain. Is that correct?

Thanks to all (excepting the "thread hijacker", of course ;)) for the replies thus far.

Mike

hello mikie

well my answers are actually longer than the work it takes to fit giannelli's

wish I had a dig.camera now although I'm old fashioned so i still use my nikon..

Simply: yes I used the moto guzzi original brackets, you just need to add 5mm space in between the moto guzzi muffler bracket and the bike's frame.

This means on the top of the bracket, not where the muffler comes....

Like I said, at first I used 4 washers but that's plain ugly, now I use a s.steel hex nut size m8 which I drilled out with 8mm so it can act like a thick washer.

but I'm still triyng to find a piece of thick s.steel or aluminum pipe of the right dimensions so it will look nicer.

Actually you don't see anything of the nuts but I know they are there and I lean towards perfectionism :P

if you use the giannelli brackets then you'll have to buy new footpegs for the passenger , the holes are there but the originals won't fit. (besides it's a piece of ugly plain aluminum)

cheers from :nl:

Forgot something:

My bro has the same bike / colours etc (I was the first to own one :angry: )

but he mounted mistrals (oval, carbon type)

If we run the bikes together you'll don't hear any difference in sound , at least we don't but it's a nice deep guzzi sound, not overdone.

and performance, well he's a better driver than me so that's hard to tell. :not: unless with all kinds of machineries.

but who cares, if they catch you with 195km/hr overhere they take your licence and bike so all these extra horses are just for statistics...

see u