Blown a seal

Martin Barrett

I have found that my rear brake pads last about the same length of time as the rear tyre. I changed my rear tyre in December and thought that I should do the pads. I've kept an eye on the depth and have had some left. Last week I picked up some pads from a local accessory shop. They didn't have Ferodo Platinums so I got some EBCs. They didn't have molycote so just got some 80w90. Tried the local car shop they did have "molyslip" But I think I'll go down the Shock proof Heavy for the bevel box anyway.

I checked the pads and there's still some life in them, so I decided that I'd order a set of front pads and two pairs of rears, that seemed the sensible thing to do if paying postage. Ment to do that today but with the wife ill with "man flu" over the weekend I've been just too busy :( That way I'd have Ferodos allround, and keep the EBC's as spares.

Well on the way to work I noticed that my brake was particualy inefectual.

I then noticed that the pedal wouldn't return.

On stopping I checked the brake disc was cold, a sucking noise when moving the brake pedal. check around the caliper and theres brake fluid.

I suspect that the backing pad on the Ferodos may be thinner that the standard fitment and/or that when the wear limit is stated as 2mm they really mean it, allowed the pistons to come out either too far or allowed the seals to twist. I'll have a close look in daylight tomorrow.

I did have a little search on the forum and ROTORHEAD said back in october 04 that Brembo didn't do a caliper seal kit. :(

There was also a mention that Brake cleaner was harmful to seals WTF That will teach me to clean them out when I last changed the pads.

Will I need to split the caliper to reseat the pistons and seals?

Do they do a repair kit?

I read this title and immediately thought of Tx's topic. Sorry.

Also, sorry- you'll need to split the calipers to do an R&R. Good news is that it's a pretty easy job. At least it was on the old F08/9's.

I guess the thing to do is measure the old backing plates and the new ones to ascertain whether you blew a seal or just sucked a bit of air. A visual check might tell you. The rear reservoir is pretty small- could you have run a bit low?

Brembo HAS to make a seal kit-aren't these the same brakes as on Ducati's???

I read this title and immediately thought of Tx's topic.  Sorry.

Also, sorry- you'll need to split the calipers to do an R&R.  Good news is that it's a pretty easy job.  At least it was on the old F08/9's. 

I guess the thing to do is measure the old backing plates and the new ones to ascertain whether you blew a seal or just sucked a bit of air. A visual check might tell you.  The rear reservoir is pretty small- could you have run a bit low?   

Brembo HAS to make a seal kit-aren't these the same brakes as on Ducati's???

78501[/snapback]

Definitely a bit low now, theres lots of fluid on the caliper and all around the tyre side wall. I would be concerned for the paint on the bevel box if it was on the same side and if it hadn't fallen off allready :)

I think I found who blew the seal

Click here! ***WARNING Rated R***

:lol:

C'mon, someone please vote me as funny to the Max!

78517[/snapback]

waal', rus here in Tn would be offended by that pic if'n it warnt so cool. :lol:

Leave it to you guys.

When I needed to rebuild the Brembos on my

900ss I was told in a lot of places (including the great yahoo Ducati forum)

that Brembo had put

the NIX on seal kits due to our wonderful judicial system.

(rumor was... someone put in a kit incorrectly..crashed...blamed Brembo..

won the suit. You know the deal)

I had even went to Yoyodyne....Finally got heplped out by BMC

in Laconia New Hampster...great Ducati people...who sent me a set up

for a 996 that worked but wasn't the same kit.

Here some one asks and BAM! Ol' TX comes through...

Glad to see we can get our hands on kits....thought the calipers were starting to

look cheap @ $70.00...

I've book marked that Yoyodyne page and am sending it on over to the

Ducati forum.

This place ROCKS!

NGC but i have the same rear brembo.as you .have no problem now as i've taught myself not to use as often.as it quickly dissapeared when used heavily anyhow. but have not looked like needing to replace the pads in 17500 ks. i wouldn't ever use any cleaning fluid near it, these brakes will only withstand sharp quick aplications. never drag it if you can. this is the first rear brake i've ever had issues with. the reservoir is very small.i think this is where the problem is. found that when riding with friend on his scura with same rear exactly, we would loose rear at same time in heavy braking sections of quick twisties. but yes seperate the caliper and have a look ..no big deal.cheers.

I have found that my rear brake pads last about the same length of time as the rear tyre. I changed my rear tyre in December and thought that I should do the pads. I've kept an eye on the depth and have had some left. Last week I picked up some pads from a local accessory shop. They didn't have Ferodo Platinums so I got some EBCs. They didn't have molycote so just got some 80w90. Tried the local car shop they did have "molyslip" But I think I'll go down the Shock proof Heavy for the bevel box anyway.

I checked the pads and there's still some life in them, so I decided that I'd order a set of front pads and two pairs of rears, that seemed the sensible thing to do if paying postage. Ment to do that today but with the wife ill with "man flu" over the weekend I've been just too busy  :(  That way  I'd have Ferodos allround, and keep the EBC's  as spares.

Well on the way to work I noticed that my brake was particualy inefectual.

I then noticed that the pedal wouldn't return.

On stopping I checked the brake disc was cold, a sucking noise when moving the brake pedal. check around the caliper and theres brake fluid.

I suspect that the backing pad on the Ferodos may be thinner that the standard fitment and/or that when the wear limit is stated as 2mm they really mean it, allowed the pistons to come out either too far or allowed the seals to twist. I'll have a close look in daylight tomorrow.

I did have a little search on the forum and ROTORHEAD said back in october 04 that Brembo didn't do a caliper seal kit.  :(

There was also a mention that Brake cleaner was harmful to seals WTF That will teach me to clean them out when I last changed the pads.

Will I need to split the caliper to reseat the pistons and seals?

Do they do a repair kit?

78496[/snapback]

Well had a look at the caliper today. The problem wasn't the seals but the washer between the banjo and the caliper body were badly corroded and had started to leak there*. Remove and replace the washers also cleaned up the bleed nipple.

Once bled, replaced the pads and seems to be okay.

* Perhaps in retrospect there had been a drop in rear brake performance over a couple of days