Fernando Alonso unimpressed by Rossi

Guest PAULSMART

Guest PAULSMART

Last sentence made me laugh.........!!!(article from BBC)

Alonso unimpressed by Rossi tests

Fernando Alonso says he is happy MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi has been testing for Ferrari as it distracts the team from preparing for the new season.

The Renault driver, who is fine-tuning the defence of his Formula One world crown, has been quick to strike the first psychological blow of 2006.

"I'm glad because that means they have lost valuable time preparing the cars for the show they put on," he said.

"Let him come and drive. It's good because there will be more attention."

Until we see him race we won't know his true potential, but it will be very difficult for him

Alonso on Rossi

Yamaha rider Rossi, 27, has won motorcycling's top category for the last five years and has been linked with a move from two wheels to four after several tests with Ferrari.

After a number of private tests, he recently had his first test along with other F1 drivers, and seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher said he thought Rossi had the ability to compete in F1.

But Alonso seemed unimpressed, saying testing was not the same as competitive driving.

"Until we see him race we won't know his true potential, but it will be very difficult for him," he said.

"He might finish fifth or even get on the podium some time, but I could do the same on the bikes if I was given a bit of time to practise." :lol::lol::lol:

Paul

Put your money where you mouth is Alonso- Michael Schumacher was crap when he had a go on Rossi's bike so lets see if you can do any better!

I reckon any decent club racer on a sports 600 would kick Alonso's arse even if he was on an M1.

Guy :helmet:

Well...... He's partly correct. The comment that a non motorcyclist could jump on a bike and be competitive based on his success on 4 wheels is pure crap I agree with you guys. But he has truth in that the tests Rossi has conducted so far are not a true indication of what it will be like for him. He tested on a fully sorted 2004 V10 Ferarri, whereas the rest of them were on brand new V8's, unsorted. And race pace, getting that last 5% consistantly, is achieved by very few. Certainly Rossi has a much better chance of doing well on 4 wheels than Alonso on 2. But this is because motorcycle racing is much more demanding, needing a much higher gift of skill and daring.

I think Alonso's comments are predictable, as in motor racing, part of being a success involves being extremely confident in ones self, sometimes to the point of arrogance.

Ciao, Steve G.

Fernandy who....???? i thought this thread was about a football player....who cares what he thinks - never heard of him. vale ain't stupid, he knows it'd be difficult...but the man's got a gift he wants to share....

I don't understand why Rossi wants to drive in procession with all the stuck up twats of F1 anyway. Maybe it's just the money and the pit tarts, sorry promotional models.

I can't figure that either. I used to be a big f1 fan, and we'd go to at least one race a year, but I'm all better now. I suppose partly because I used to be a jordan fan, the quasi irish team, which no longer exists, but mostly the racing is just plain boring.

I don't understand why anyone would have an interest in getting involved except for the money, and surely Vale isn't stuck for that.

Greetings from a cold, and frankly slightly hungover, Tokyo, by the way.

....I don't understand why anyone would have an interest in getting involved...

Rossi's a racer. He's done bikes. What's he gonna do there now? switch to WCM? Give everyone a lap start? F1 is fastest racing on tracks. It may look boring to watch but I'll bet for sure it ain't boring sat in there. Don't think it's money at all. He knows motorsport history, he's looking at his place in it. It's a big ask for him tho, right in at the deep end. He's got balls to take it on (if he does). Good luck to him.

KB :sun:

I think all the "driver's aids" in F1 along with the cookie cutter variety of race tracks these days have robbed it of its former self. The cars circulate as if by remote control.

Here's a link to the famous last lap battle between Gilles Villeneuve in the Ferrari and Rene Arnoux in the twin turbo Renault at the 1979 French Grand Prix.

Now that's racing :notworthy:

There should be no doubt after watching that race that Villeneuve was a racer's racer. A bit mad perhaps but a racer never the less :grin:

There's one place wee Val has yet to go in motorcycling, and that's the IOM. He hasn't had the balls for that. If he wants to cement his place in motorcycling, he has to give it a go. Else, he's a pretender . . .

79192[/snapback]

you are of course joking.....Rossi at TT would prove nothing. It's a different ball game.

KB :sun:

I don't understand why Rossi wants to drive in procession with all the stuck up twats of F1 anyway. Maybe it's just the money and the pit tarts, sorry promotional models.

79112[/snapback]

Gawd!!

l'm agreeing with Nogbad :D ..........and they are "pit tarts", call it for what it is!

Tarts are tasty, and because they are only small, you can sample a whole variety, promotional models, are normally just window dressing, hollow interiors/non-working/available parts. :grin:

Any of us who have ever ridden a bike fast, know that the level of skill required and the level of forgiveness between 2 & 4wheels are simply on a totally different level...Alonso has now firmlly moved himself into the PRAT catagory.

However....

Honda let an 18yr old Nicky Haden and a 39yr old Michael Andretti swop rides a few years back. Nicky was pretty damn good for a kid in a very powerful machine, but Andretti was the best of the two when it came to comparitive times,so who knows :huh2: l still think Alonso's a PRAT.

:bier:

Cheers

Van