Polishing Alternator Cover

Dr Gil

Can anyone give me some tips on polishing my alternator cover. I'm sure the thing wasn't pretty when it was new (crinkle paint) but it's pretty horrible looking now what with all the ingrained dirt and chips. :o

I read a couple of old threads and some of the solutions people used...I think I like the idea of just taking the paint off, buffing it up and maybe putting a clear coat on it. The trouble is I've never done anything like this before and haven't a real clue on how to go about taking off the old paint. :huh2:

I know this simple a question makes me look somewhat retarded buy you guys have been kind and patient with my ignorance in the past... ;)

Mine is horrible too, but it goes with the rest of the silver paint on the bike. I knew I shouldn't have ridden it through the winter.... :homer:

I think my Guzzi is going to end up my winter bike......

To get the paint off: in UK we have Nitromors which is liquid stripper - does most things... slop it on, wash it off. there must be an equivalent there.

To polish: you can get polishing kits (mops/polish coarse-smooth) that'll fit on a bench grinder - would do the job. Failing that a mop on a mini grinder or, if you got the time an electric drill. Keep up finish with Autosol or other metal polish.

Or paint.

Wonder if the old Tonti covers would fit? Apparently the metal is better. They also had plastic ones....

KB :sun:

Guest ratchethack

Gil, now that y'er a genuine, bone fide "hands-on" Guzzisti, and you've established that "special" man-machine bond :wub: , and experienced well-earned great pride in being hands-on with y'er LeMans :sun: - and assuming you can't get enough of this - you could put a whole bunch of hours into it and have a fairly mediocre-looking thing that won't match any part of the engine that'll get as beat-up as the original. But at least you'll have that "I did it myself" satisfaction... :whistle:

OR,

If you think y'er time's worth more than the satisfaction derived therefrom above,

You could take it to any plating shop that's known for doing top-notch motorcycle part work. You could either have 'em do a "turn-key" buff and clear-coat job, or have 'em triple-plate it for a far more durable end result. I expect this might cost somewhere around ~3X the cost of a new cover. <_<

Me, I'd prep it carefully with 250-grit, scrub with degreasing solvent, and shoot it with the toughest rattle-can silver (or in your case, black?) I can get my hands on, and forget about it for at least another couple of years, and not worry if it doesn't match anything. ;)

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

The best way to strip the paint is to let me ride it for two years.

79086[/snapback]

Martin are you suggesting some sort of "bike swap?" If so I might consider it...I lust after your ride. :P:

Dr. , after you spend the $ on stripper , sandpaper, buffing pads ,jewlers rouge , dust mask, & time you're better off to order one from MG cycle. Unless you just want to kill some time :huh2:

http://www.mgcycle.com/charging.html

79119[/snapback]

Doh, I didn't even know such a thing existed...note to self, "spend more times haunting those online Guzzi parts sites." Thanks TX, this may very well be the way I'm heading. :thumbsup:

Gil, now that y'er a genuine "hands-on" Guzzisti, and you've established that "special" man-machine bond :wub: , and experienced well-earned great pride in being hands-on with y'er LeMans :sun: - and assuming you can't get enough of this - you could put a whole bunch of hours into it and have a fairly mediocre-looking thing that won't match any part of the engine that'll get as beat-up as the original.  But at least you'll have that "I did it myself" satisfaction... :whistle:

OR,

If you think y'er time's worth more than the satisfaction derived therefrom above,

You could take it to any plating shop that's known for doing top-notch motorcycle part work.  You could either have 'em do a "turn-key" buff and clear-coat job, or have 'em triple-plate it for a far more durable end result.  I expect this might cost somewhere around ~3X the cost of a new cover. <_>

Me, I'd prep it carefully with 250-grit, scrub with degreasing solvent, and shoot it with the toughest rattle-can silver I can get my hands on, and forget about it for at least another couple of years, and not worry if it doesn't match anything. ;)

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

79121[/snapback]

Thanks RH, also not a bad idea although I've no experience with local plating shops (or even knows if such things exist in my local, rural area). It also sounds like some "down time" would be involved while the shop deals with it, something I'm loathe to do given my recent forced sabbatical...I may just go with the MG cover and save my old one for a backup (or simply give it away to some deserving Guzzisti...it still has the eagle).

:thumbsup: to all who contributed in a positive fashion.

:bbblll: to all who mocked me.

Gil

For polishing, TX had a great suggestion one time which was to take the part to a truck stop and employ the local polishers. I haven't tried this, but it makes sense considering the work done to trucker's rigs.

You might also consider a 'fenda extenda' to reduce the amount of road grit thrown up onto the alt. cover. The cover takes the brunt of the hit- why should it?

...it still has the eagle).

:thumbsup:  to all who contributed in a positive fashion.

:bbblll:  to all who mocked me.

Gil

79123[/snapback]

A rare bird mine flew south a long time ago.

-_- not my most helpful post. :) But not mocking. (other than the quality of paint and length of mudguard)

I'm always amazed by the cleanliness of everyone's bikes when they post pictures of theirs, puts me to shame.

But Gil you're only just back on the road after 6? months. ride the bloody thing and get one in the post.

You might also consider a 'fenda extenda' to reduce the amount of road grit thrown up onto the alt. cover.  The cover takes the brunt of the hit- why should it?

79126[/snapback]

Sheesh, everyone's suddenly so sensitive. I was just joking about the "mocking" stuff. Actually I'm delighted that people take the time to reply to my requests and find I enjoy any attention I can get even if it is somewhat unprovoked and abusive. ;) (please notice I included a "winkie" emoticon there to indicate further kidding)

Actually I have been riding "the thing" and have put a "fenda extentda" on it...I went with the SV650 version. It's not perfect but close enough (hmmm, although I do see some "leakage" there).

guzzi-extenda.jpg

Can anyone give me some tips on polishing my alternator cover.

79077[/snapback]

Doc,

I have used Orrin Meyers a few times and is very quick and resonable. He has done my valve covers, sliders and other bits. 100% satisfied. He'll strip, polish, etc.. He'll give you a quote if you need before you ship. :food:

http://home.mchsi.com/~jdm366/wsb/html/vie...home.html-.html

Doc,

I have used Orrin Meyers a few times and is very quick and resonable.  He has done my valve covers, sliders and other bits.  100% satisfied.  He'll strip, polish, etc..  He'll give you a quote if you need before you ship.  :food:

http://home.mchsi.com/~jdm366/wsb/html/vie...home.html-.html

79138[/snapback]

Thanks edge, this is more what I'm looking for...

...and Daniel, your "parafango anteriore" just ain't gonna cut it on my bello Le Mans. Sorry, I need something much more "de modo." (but thanks for coming to my rescue) :thumbsup: