v11 gearbox rattle

george42

Just been to look at a 2002 scura for sale .lovely looking ,even engine paint good,but on idle horrible rattle from clutch or gearbox.noise goes when clutch pulled in.I know all v11s have noisy clutchbearings giving a whiring sort of noise which goes when clutch pulled in ,but this is quite a loud pronounced knocking sound,is this a common problem,and how could it be fixed.Commonsense says walk away very quickly,So Still looking for a tidy v11 in somerset.GEORGE

The Scura has the single plate clutch which is known to rattle in neutral with the clutch engaged. I would say it's normal. By comparison the other twin plate V11s rattle when the lever is pulled in. My 2000 greenie rattles like 2 cats fighting in a bag of spanners when I sit in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

There is some evidence of problems with a few single plate clutches. Apparently these occasionally disintegrate explosively which smashes the bellhousing.

If it was me, I would look for a twin plate clutch model, these are more plentiful too.

You don't want to join the dark side with a Scura.

PS How does one tell if a v11 has a single or dual layer clutch,Is the scura model one to avoid NOGBAD ,suppose a 2004 balbaio with all the mods done would be the same price as a 2002 scura with all its faults.If only i had enough money to buy a cafe sport ,truly the most handsome beast of the range. GEORGE :bike:

Why is it my old 1978 lemans 40000miles owned for 20 years,the gearbox or the clutch has never made a rattle or a whir,yet a new version sounds like an out of balance cement mixer...

Old bikes had heavy flywheels, dampened things down. Flywheel on later bikes is v much lighter (twin & single plate), pick up is much faster.

KB :sun:

...How does one tell if a v11 has a single or dual layer clutch,Is the scura model one to avoid...

Only 3 models have single plate clutch: Rosso Mandello, Scura & Tenni. All others have twin plate.

Clutch issue is unresolved. It is not known whether failure is endemic in the model or affects only a few bikes due to bad materials/manufacture or assembly. So far I think there have been no more than 10 failures we have heard about out of, I dunno - 1200-1500 bikes? Search will show up threads. Failure can be spectacular, but appears to be preceded by warning signs.

Scura is IMV the best looking/best spec of all the V11's. Clutch works great, but flywheel failure is a concern.

KB :sun:

PS How does one tell if a v11 has a single or dual layer clutch,Is the scura model one to avoid NOGBAD ,suppose a 2004 balbaio with all the mods done would be the same price as a 2002 scura with all its faults.If only i had enough money to buy a cafe sport  ,truly the most handsome beast of the range. GEORGE :bike:

79265[/snapback]

I'm not saying avoid any of them! Just making you aware of the differences. Personally I don't like the 2002 Scura, the only ones I have seen in the UK looked scruffy beyond their years. The black crinkle finish holds dirt and is prone to blistering, and the rest of the black finish seems to show marks. I personally don't like all black bikes, but that is down to taste and you may feel differently.

I'm not saying avoid any of them! Just making you aware of the differences. Personally I don't like the 2002 Scura, the only ones I have seen in the UK looked scruffy beyond their years. The black crinkle finish holds dirt and is prone to blistering, and the rest of the black finish seems to show marks. I personally don't like all black bikes, but that is down to taste and you may feel differently.

79287[/snapback]

So  Still looking for a tidy v11 in somerset.GEORGE

79210[/snapback]

If you don't mind travelling 2 hours On Yer Bike in Aylesbury is selling an unregistered 2003 model V11 Le Mans for £5799.

Also selling new V11 Ballabios at the same price.

You may find it difficult to find the bike you want if you restrict yourself to Zumerzet.

Guy :helmet:

If only i had enough money to buy a cafe sport  ,truly the most handsome beast of the range. GEORGE :bike:

79265[/snapback]

Cafe sport on ebay right now, seller in london and it has the mg ti exhausts(sigh).

Gary :mg:

Cafe sport on ebay i have also seen ,but sadly out of my price range,wives are so unreasonable!!!!!.Have also seen the two in exeter,one very nice but overpriced(its been in their showroom for well over a year)the other a rebuilt high mileage .£5700 for a new balbaio sounds very cheap,but again to much for me.Think an early balbaio is going to be my best bet.No fuzzy paint,dogy gearselectors,clutches and flywheels,ect ect ect ect.Spring is still a couple of months away so no rush.Thanks all chaps for your input.GEORGE