MGS01 is racing at Daytona!

Paul Minnaert

I read in the anima guzzista forum that Gianfranco Guareschi is coming to Daytona, with the 4v mgs01 sponsored by piaggio usa and moto guzzi italia.

The original text:

Volevo solo comunicare agli amici del Forum che Gianfranco "Guaro" stà impacchettando la sua MGS per spedirla negli USA, in quanto il 7 marzo parteciperà alla gara di Daytona.

Essì, Guaro porterà in gara la MGS in versione 4V "originale" sostenuto da Moto Guzzi Italia e Piaggio USA !

GRANDE GUARO! SIAMO TUTTI CON TE!

E le novità non sono finite...

Quest'anno Gianfranco parteciperà al campionato Supertwin, ma, UDITE UDITE, non con il 4V originale, bensi con il propulsore raffreddato a liquido che papa Claudio stà mettendo a punto.

Non si chiamerà più Big Bore, bensì Guareschi Racing (o qualcosa del genere), in quanto mi ha detto che lo stanno mastruzzando pesantemente.

Saluti tutti gli amici e invito gli amministratori a dare risalto all'evento.

Ciao

Let not get too excited...this must've come from the rumor mill. Moto Guzzi hasn't homologated 50 MGS01's so I don't see how it could race in AMA events. I'm not saying a MGS01 won't be AT Daytona as there was one for viewing last year. Until I see it with my own eyes I'm calling it a rumor! :blush:

I cannot say for certain but perhaps Goffredo or RacerX might know. I'm only going by what the local dealer was told by the importer so we know how valid that could be.

My VIN # ends with 0041 so perhaps at least 41 were made. There are supposedly a few still at the factory as well, being held back for competition use but that sounds pretty vague.

It certainly would be bending the rules completely out of shape but then it worked for Buell and then there are the elusive Petronas bikes in WSBK but seemingly never seen on the road. How about the Harley superbike? Based on what production bike?

I hope to see the MGS race in any class at Daytona and I am very curiuos to see hope it fares. Only time will tell ......

then there are the elusive Petronas bikes in WSBK but seemingly never seen on the road.

79576[/snapback]

The WSB homologation rules say, I think, that the manufacturer must promise to build the appropriate number of road bikes within 2 years of a certain date- like Jim says, Petronas have yet to do this and Foggy predicts they will probably be kicked out of WSB next season as they have pushed it too far already.

Not sure what the rules are in the different US classes, but if there are similar rules then let Guzzi tell fibs!

Guy :helmet:

P.S. There are at least 2 MGS01s unsold in the UK plus the used one on eBay, in case anyone is interested in buying one.

I cannot say for certain but perhaps Goffredo or RacerX might know. I'm only going by what the local dealer was told by the importer so we know how valid that could be.

My VIN # ends with 0041 so perhaps at least 41 were made. There are supposedly a few still at the factory as well, being held back for competition use but that sounds pretty vague.

It certainly would be bending the rules completely out of shape but then it worked for Buell and then there are the elusive Petronas bikes in WSBK but seemingly never seen on the road. How about the Harley superbike? Based on what production bike?

I hope to see the MGS race in any class at Daytona and I am very curiuos to see hope it fares. Only time will tell ......

79576[/snapback]

I was just curious Jim, how do you like your MGS so far? I havent seen you post very much info about it lately. Have you been working too much to ride it lately, is it just the weather or both maybe? Would you buy it again given the chance? I would love to own one of those someday but I'm willing to wait for a mass production bike to emerge from Mandello.

I wish I could tell you how great it is but I only got riding it 3 times last year and none of it was track conditions. It certainly does have power and the suspension as factory set is incredibly harsh. I expect to have it out again in March at a track day. I will post lots when I get a thourough ride on it.

I have absolutely no regrets about buying it and perhaps I'll put together a lighting lkit for it and do a little road time as well.

I wish I could tell you how great it is but I only got riding it 3 times last year and none of it was track conditions. It certainly does have power and the suspension as factory set is incredibly harsh. I expect to have it out again in March at a track day. I will post lots when I get a thourough ride on it.

I have absolutely no regrets about buying it and perhaps I'll put together a lighting lkit for it and do a little road time as well.

79585[/snapback]

Thats cool Jim! I'd want to have it street legal too. I can imagine the setup is just where its supposed to be considering what it is. Maybe you should take a pic like with your RM of a wheelie on the same street :pic::grin: