Why Won't it start

Guest redguzziv10

Guest redguzziv10

i recently had the tank, headlight and other parts off my 2001 V11 sport, although i didn't touch any of the electrics it just won't start now. :(

i get the fuel pumping when i turn the key, b ut that's all. The lights and indicators all work, so it's not the battery.

I've switched the relays - not them

Fuses all ok

No loose or undone wire connectors anywhere.

Only thing i have noticed is the oil and battery lights don't come on when the ignition is on. is this a clue?

anyone got any ideas?

Nb. the last owner did away with the side stand micro switch, so it's not that either.

Try turning on the key, make sure you are in neutral, hold the starter button in and repeatedly activate the clutch.

If that does not work hold in the clutch and starter button and move the handlebars back and forth.

If that does not work, I'd take another look at the relays and connections.

If in addition to the warning lights not working, the horn does not work, that would be a clue.

i recently had the tank, headlight and other parts off my 2001 V11 sport, although i didn't touch any of the electrics it just won't start now.  :(

i get the fuel pumping when i turn the key, b ut that's all. The lights and indicators all work, so it's not the battery.

I've switched the relays - not them

Fuses all ok

No loose or undone wire connectors anywhere.

Only thing i have noticed is the oil and battery lights don't come on when the ignition is on. is this a clue?

anyone got any ideas?

Nb. the last owner did away with the side stand micro switch, so it's not that either.

80069[/snapback]

Yep, had the same circumstances...kill switch. I was in the DMV parking lot getting the Guzzi's VIN #'s certified when it happened . I had even called a tow truck to haul me out of there. :whistle:

80069[/snapback]

Sorry, can't really help you with your starting issue, but it should be not to big a problem.

But, do reinstall the sidestand switch! This sidestand isn't comparable to what you may have had before on other bikes.

The constellation you ride actually does kill!

Hubert

Guest redguzziv10
Try turning on the key, make  sure you are in neutral, hold the starter button in and repeatedly activate the clutch.

If that does not work hold in the clutch and starter button and move the handlebars back and forth.

If that does not work, I'd take another look at the relays and connections.

If in addition to the warning lights not working, the horn does not work, that would be a clue.

80075[/snapback]

just tried that...no joy

the horn works, so does full beam etc.

Dr Gil - if it's a problem with the kill switch, can i expect springs and tiny ball bearings to pop out all over the place if i take it apart? :grin:

You said you had the tank off? When the PO removed the sidestand switch, he probably tucked up the wires under the tank. Did you accidentally jostle them...or some other wire? I'd pop the tank off and give it a look.

just tried that...no joy

the horn works, so does full beam etc.

Dr Gil - if it's a problem with the kill switch, can i expect springs and tiny ball bearings to pop out all over the place if i take it apart? :grin:

80095[/snapback]

Now I'm embarrassed. My kill switch problem was that I had accidently hit the kill button while screwing around looking for the VIN numbers and didn't realize it. I don't generally use the kill button and just start and stop with the ignition switch. I simply didn't ever think that it may have been off. :whistle:

I can't help with the inner workings of it...sorry.

I always like to go with the simple fixes first on a thing like this though. If it's not that your kill button is engaged I would certainly try cleaning, lubricating and manually manipulating the sidestand kill button a bit...if not that...well, you see where I'm going. Easy stuff first. ;)

Does the headlight turn off when you hit the starter?

If yes

Then there it is likely a bad solenoid or the wire between the relay and solenoid has a bad connection....or a bad starter.

Although the battery could just be too weak to activate it,

If No,

Then it is likely one of the following.

Bad clutch switch or the connectors to it. (usually it becomes intermittent before completely failing, so not likely)

Bad starter button switch (never heard of one going bad)

It could be when the kickstand was bypassed, previous owner did a bad job, but if (s)he did it is more likely the bike would have stopped on you while riding.

Neutral switch should not be a problem if kickstand is up or in your case is by-passed.

But the bypass still could be bad (it is just so easy to blame previous owner)

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is a bad contact in the key switch(also known to be very reliable)

Or go back to trouble shooting relays and connections.

redguzziv10

When the lights work well try first the Micro switch on the clutch lever. This is more likely to fail than second the kill switch.

Next step: reinstall the side stand switch - it is for your safety! So you can also check the faults the previous owner may has installed when bypassing it. Everything not in original condition is suspicious.

Good luck

Ernst

What is your battery voltage.  I had a stock battery in my 03 LeMans and all the lights and stuff worked, but it didn't have enough voltage to start the darn thing.

Know the Rules :2c:

80262[/snapback]

Yah, my bike needs something like 12.5V or it won't crank. Meanwhile today I fired up my mother's car with 12.1V before going out to buy her a new battery.

Guest redguzziv10

thanks for all your reply's, i think i got it sorted

at first i dismissed the possibility of a duff battery as i had it on trickle charge for about a week. Tested it, and it showed full charge

However it must be a wrong 'un because in the three weeks it took me to rebuild the bike, the battery went completely flat again. Stuck it on trickle overnight, connected it up again, and did that little trick of turning the kill switch on and off, and i got it to turn over. Though not enough to fire her up

.... new battery needed now i guess.

Looking at the bypassed side stand connector.... the PO has it all taped up under the tank...looks like it's taped to permanently make a connection, at the moment i'm not touching it as it all seems to be working good, although i take everyone's opinion into consideration and probably will reconnect it later. For safety (i still remember going ass over tit on my Mk IV Le Mans becaused of a forgotten side stand :blush: )

I'm still amazed at the difference in the Sport's running with the new battery. Stronger throught he rev range, higher idle.

Now I've noticed it's running richer ( higher TPS voltage?) and the fuel lght comes on MUCH sooner and much more brightly.

I'm still amazed at the difference in the Sport's running with the new battery. Stronger throught he rev range, higher idle.

Now I've noticed it's running richer ( higher TPS voltage?) and the fuel lght comes on MUCH sooner and much more brightly.

80319[/snapback]

If this is true it is odd and should give cause for concern. With engine running, the battery OCV shouldn't affect unregulated voltage at the alternator, and provided the battery isn't such a short circuit that the generator output is pulled down (and if it was the battery would be fried dry) the charging regulation and secondary signal supply regulation within the ECU should hold the sensor voltages stable. Hence I can't see how fitting a new battery could affect mixture, fuel consumption or the appearance of the idiot lights if the electrical system was healthy. :2c: