gearbox removal

Guest otis nz

Guest otis nz

The gearbox needs to be removed on Thursday for recall work. Dealer has never done one before so we would appreciate any information that would help. Have tried to locate a workshop manual that can be downloaded through the net but haven't had any luck.

There was discussion on this a couple of weeks back. Perhaps someone knows where the thread is?

I personally still tackle the spine frames in the same way as I do Tonti's. Support the bike on it's sump, remove the swingarm and final drive, disconnect all cables and wires, loosen the two bolts that hold the sub frames to the timing chest, take the bolt out of the frame to gearbox mounting bracket and then pivot the frame on the two timing chest bolts until it is high enough to remove the gearbox off the back of the engine.

I haven't had the gearbox out of a V11 yet but t should essentially be the same as the earlier spineframes apart from the need to disconect or remove the clutch slave cylinder from the back of the gearbox before hoicking it out!

Pete

Guest ratchethack

Otis, when I had my trans recall done I took the box out myself took it to the dealer, let him swap out the parts, and I buttoned up the whole mess afterward. I used Pete's method. It's pretty straightforward.

I think there are a couple of write-ups on this under "crabbing the frame".... You might want to do a search.

Pete was probably thinking of the thread at this link,

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7181&hl=

Coupla things:

I found it very helpful to be able to support the bike from above (taking tension on a couple of ropes from overhead) in addition to supporting it on the stand as Pete suggested. This gave a great deal of confidence when wrenching on the thing, knowing I couldn't knock it over! :blush:

The other thing I discovered is that you can save considerable time and grief IMHO by removing only the left-hand-side porkchop. This allows you to leave the rear subframe attached to the bike, obviating the need to disconnect a whole bunch of stuff, including the wiring harness. I also supported the rear subframe from above, just for saftey's sake.

Can't give you any specifics on anything inside the box, sorry.

Hope this helps! Good luck. :thumbsup: