I'm a rider not a cleaner

Jock Guzzi

I'm sure all purchasers of brand new bikes start with the best intentions of keeping their new stead spick and span but you know how it goes, after a long day in the saddle there's always tomorrow to give the thing a thorough clean. Guilt is quickly dismissed as we lie to ourselves that a bit of road grime adds character.

Now I know that I will once again be going through this routine soon, so in preparation, I'm seeking advise on cleaning regimes and products so that I can prepare myself for the guilt ridden "I'll do it next weekend " game I always play with myself.

When pushed, I prefer to hand wash and then hose down with a garden hose rather than use a power hose but you can't beat the clinical effeciency and speed of those bad boys. Should I buy a power washer ?

I'm sorely tempted so I need some good solid cleaning tips designed for those of us who are somewhat lacking in the cleaning skills department.

I was once as obsessive about this as one could be. Having clean automobiles was (once) very important to me; now, in my m/c state, I don't even care about cars. :mg:

But, when I bought the EV, almost 6 years ago, I followed my car approach and washed it ... lots. It is a chrome queen, and gets dirty easily. Soap, water, hose, the works. I now believe that Luigi didn't cause several of my electrical and other problems along the way; I did.

Even after I bought the Ballabio in the summer of 2003, I washed it "traditionally." Sure was easier to do than the EV, too.

Sometime, tho, relatively soon into that new love affair, I realized that I could accomplish the same thing with far fewer washings, and with soakings almost never--if ever--needed.

The number of "products" out there is astonishing. One can, without resorting to soap and hoses, or using caustic chemicals, get great results. Plexus is my mainstay right now, tho Pledge is a close second, for the paint and plastic. I like WD 40 for the black engine casing, and use UV protectorant and silicone spray for cables, hoses, and saddle (well, not silicone for the last!),

Anyway, I suppose I'd counsel against much water, and, especially, on a pressure washer. You do have weather issues I don't, but best wishes on what you do. Mine is also unlikely to be Jaap's BOTM, so, if being a foldout playmate is your goal, spray away. :D

Bill

The only downside to pressure washers is that you mustn't get too close with the nozzle and squirt hard on sensitive areas like wheel bearings. A cheap one is better as their pressures are lower.

The advantage to them is you can clean your bike with about 20% of the water you will use with a conventional hose, so if you are environmentally conscious, or on a water meter it's better.

Ha!

Thats the problem when you love the road

more than the parking lot @ the hangout.

We wear the mud of a 3000mi trip like a badge of honor

just dying for an infidel to fall into the trap. "Ever wash that thing?"

My cleaning routine is usually a frantic rush before the traditional

week end ride. Luckily the LeMans is a matter of a quick spray,

wipe, armourall ...I like my seat slippery 'cause I move around on it.

and simple green on the greasey parts and black engine paint.

20-30minutes. It gets extra attention before a rally or long trip.

6-7 times a year.

S100 bike cleaner, spray with garden hose and rinse with rain water, let it dry, ready. 20 minutes in all

80156[/snapback]

I've seen incredible things from the use of S100. I used to love it, but after seeing it's effects on all things from clear coat removal of parts, factory cadmium plating of nuts/bolts, and deterioration of electrical connections, I avoid it at all costs. It is a very agressive detergent, and even when thorough rinsing of all areas, it's effects are seen.

You can't replace good old 'elbow grease' when cleaning a machine. As they say, it's all in the details, and detailing the little areas is what counts. I've won 2 'show & shines' simply by spending an afternoon cleaning the little areas that normally would not be touched. Products from Meguirs help alot, with their Final Inspection product being the easiest to use.

Power hoses on bikes of any kind are not advised. Your local wheel bearing supply house will love you though. Even direct shot from a garden hose can compromise a wheel bearing seal. Mist is best.

Ciao, Steve G.

I use a nozzle on the hose that causes the water to be at low pressure, but good volume- get one

(for watering plants) at a garden store. Rinse to your heart's delight.

S100 worries me because it is so aggressive. I use it, but sparingly on the cases. (Dilute) simple geen is a pretty reasonable agent.

Hardly ever use water, except on the trail bike or on a bike that has accumulated serious road dirt, and then I only use soap, not detergent, and a soft sponge, and I never use the power washer on bikes. Mainly oily rag, paraffin brush and Scottoil spray. I always try to keep plated surfaces and exhaust systems clean. A layer of road dust helps you spot oil leaks!

Spray cleaner (no favorite), cotton terry washcloths or hand-towels (if you "borrow" the signifcant other's...make sure it is a dark color). Spritz-on, wipe down. Use one of those spritz on waxes about twice a year on painted surfaces...makes clean up easy. Ocassionally hit wheel rims and cylinder heads with pressure washer or car wash wand...be careful of water intrusion. Otherwise, I leave it bug impacted. Agree with Ouiji, as the only proper response to "ever wash that thing?" is "do you ever ride yours?". :bike: k

Oh, yeah...and I only wipe off my leathers/wash my textiles when they start to stink from the excess bug guts--and both my jackets are yellow, so they show the impacts. :grin: k

Guest ratchethack

Wot those guys said, especially the caution about S-100. I've developed a great deal of hard-earned caution about "miracle cleaners" and "magic preservatives" that seem to give an "instant" cosmetic benefit, but in reality deliver damaging long-term results. As Steve noted, there's STILL no substitute for elbow-grease.

Today I've got my pressure washer out and ready for the annual Spring Cleaning of the Guzzi. People who're familiar with the state of cleanliness of my bike seem to think that I spend a whole bunch of time making it antiseptic and waxed. This ain't hardly the case. Once I get 'er deep-cleaned, keeping it up doesn't take much effort. This "deep cleaning" seems to last a whole year in my climate. :sun:

With the tank off, my Spring Cleaning consists of the afore-mentioned pressure wash with Simple Green. I put 'er on the shop stand with wheels off the ground to make cleaning & waxing 'em lots easier, and mask off and plug up all delicate/vulnerable areas. I ONLY shoot the lower half of the engine and trans cases as a general rule. I carefully avoid all bearing areas and electrical connectors.

After pressure-washing, I meticulously follow up with a handful of tooth brushes and other implements alternately in one hand and a hand-spray bottle of Simple green in the other to go after the tough spots. After the "detergent" phase, I give it a final rinse and hit it with a leaf blower to dry & blast out most of the rinse water. The "usual suspect" bullet connectors get cycled and re-filled with dielectric grease. Next, I use a pile of bulk-issue terrry-cloth utililty towels to do final drying & cleaning, followed by waxing & buffing of the tank, side-covers, wheels and fenders.

By that time it's usually well past time for a few brews to accompany the sinfully prideful admiration phase. :thumbsup:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Wash it once with dish soap and warm water using a soft rag. Then wash again with a little less dish soap and a wee bit of vinegar. Finally wash again with very very mild dish soap and warm water then rinse bike thoroughly but never with pressure. Towel dry, start bike and go for a very short ride with rapid accelleration and decelleration to shake water out of nooks and crannies. Towel dry bike again and then get out the plexus or 210 spray (an aviation product the same as plexus but strangely 1/3 the price) and polish up all the smooth parts. Then go get it dirty again!!

I also agree with Steve that if you take the time to use a little elbow grease and maybe some pipe cleaners and toothbrushes you will have a bike worth showing anyone. I don't do it often but maybe once a month I go over it like that and I also take the time to check all the fasteners as well. I havn't found anything major but I have noticed sidecover screws a bit loose and one of the swingarm covers screws backing out.

My cleaning is bare minimal.

I use silicone spray on metal parts, especially the fork sliders, steering damper slider, headlight bezel.

I use brake cleaner on brake disks.

Damp rag on wheels.

Detailing spray on painted surfaces, although my paint is so bad now, I just use a dry paper napkin, which is otherwise taboo.

Saliva works great in a pinch to help remove bugs.

I have completely given up on the alternator cover.

On vinyl, I use Something Better protectant, which seems better than armor all.

On leather mink oil is probably the best, but the cheaper Chelsea leather food is recommended by experts. I have been meaning to get saddle soap for the cleaning before conditioning.

I gave up on the exhaust bluing a long time ago and now it is beautiful patina.

Bollocks to all that.

Turn it round and go back out.

What are you,a housewife? It's only dirt for godssake :D

To be honest,I used to clean and polish mines too,but now I dont bother too much.

The black engine I've got is a bugger to clean cos there's a lot of lime in the water here,it always looks manky. Even right after cleaning it.

I had great plans to strip and repaint it over winter,but other things took all my time and now I'm past caring. Maybe next year.I'd rather be riding.