Bill Toots His Own Harmonica

Bill Hagan

Don't read too much into that title!

As you may recall, I have had an "issue" with my Ballabio's rear crossover after the dealer replaced the original with a Stucchi one and swapped out stock pipes for oh-so-fine ones.

I posted about this before here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7039&hl=

The basic problem was a very noticeable, annoying, and occasionally embarrassing (reminded me of my old VW 411 add-on AC; so loud at stop lights, folks turned and looked) vibration. The cause appeared to be the "floating" crossover, which had no connection with the frame with the Cal canister gone. This disharmonic vibration was especially noticeable in the just-under and -over 4K range, i.e., it soured the sweet spot.

So, I took pics of a used Scura at ADT that had a solution for this, used a coathanger to "fix" mine while I looked around for a similar setup as the Scura, and, mostly, felt sorry for myself.

Having posted my plight here before, Mike Stewart said he thought he could help. So, as Mike lives in the Bay Area, I obviously wanted to talk with him when I visited San Francisco this past weekend. Pics at http://snipurl.com/nj4j

Well, imagine my surprise when I showed up at dinner and Mike presented me with the hanger!

When I got home, I wandered around Pep Boys, Napa, etc., looking for the right rubber (so to speak). Bingo.

Then went to my local Ace "Intown Hardware" (a great neighborhood store in the Virginia-Highland area so good that neither a nearby Home Depot nor Lowes can dislodge). Picked up some stainless metric hardware (no need to get onsies-twosies from McMaster) and headed home.

The result is here: http://snipurl.com/nlmh

No, is not a engine rebuild, but it is odd how even a minor thing like this can be inordinately satisfying, especially to tyro-class wrenches like me.

Ah, but does it work? Seems to, but I only did a quick run down the street. Will know for sure soon, but, heck, sure looks better than that baling wire!

Thanks, Mike ... and Janice.

Bill

Guest ratchethack
Well, imagine my surprise when I showed up at dinner and Mike presented me with the hanger!

When I got home, I wandered around Pep Boys, Napa, etc., looking for the right rubber (so to speak). Bingo.

No, is not a engine rebuild, but it is odd how even a minor thing like this can be inordinately satisfying, especially to tyro-class wrenches like me.

Ah, but does it work? Seems to, but I only did a quick run down the street. Will know for sure soon, but, heck, sure looks better than that baling wire!

Kudo's to you and Mike both, Bill! Unfortunately (or otherwise), it's far too professional-looking a job to pass for a bodge... :P

Now the coathanger - THAT was a bodge! :homer:

Guest WildJackal

I like your solution better! I used 1/2 inch nylon spacers that can be found at Lowes Hardware or Home Depot. I used the bakelite spacer from the original mounting against the hot crossover and about 2 and 2/3 of the nylon spacers.