Duck, Duck or Goose!

Guest AdamofKC

What do you think should be my next bike?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be my next bike?

• Ducati Monster 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Ducati Supersport 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
    • Whatever your Italian loving heart desires!

Guest AdamofKC

Well, I'm back again with a q about what you all would recommend for my next bike. I do like input from others, so I am anticipating some constructive comments of why one or another.

Bear in mind that all the bikes mentioned here are used. Not that I can find an example of each, readily at hand, but I'm sure I would be able to get access to one, one way or another.

I've seen prices for the Monsters and Supersports of said size going for somewhere between $3000 up to $8000 US, depending on the mods and year. Unfortunately, the only example for the Guzzi I have is at a dealership that is charging close to or more than $1000 over NADA suggested retail($5995). It is a 1997 Sport model, fuel injected I think(because of the "i") and it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Insurance for a brand new M620 has been quite reasonable compared to other quotes, so I'm sure the insurance isn't going to go through the roof if I choose the Guzzi. Since both bikes are Italian, which is where I am determined to stay when it comes to bikes, I'm sure that each bike will have the character, performance and desire I'm looking for.

The biggest advantage the Ducati Monsters have is that I had gotten the chance to ride a Monster 620 Dark at a demo day within the past 6 months, so I'm relatively familiar with the performance. The Guzzi, I have only heard, and the one I did was a V11 Le Mans.

So tell me, inform me, educate my ignorant mind and give me some ideas on which one! Thanks alot for your participation!

post-2030-1142745989_thumb.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The goose could last you forever if you take care of it. Ducati's seems to have more gremlins than ducks. Talk the dealer down as far as you can and snatch it up it looks like a nice one.

Insurance on my 2000 V11 sport is $14.50 a month. I started at $12.50 a month and For some reason its gone up a dollar a month right around the times the wife totalled a car. Hmmmmm. :homer: Still I'm 25 and I've heard of even cheaper. :huh2:

:helmet: Hi DeBenGuzzi,your is a beautiful price for bike insurance.In Italy for my Tenni i spent $380 every year :( Ciao #60

The goose could last you forever if you take care of it. Ducati's seems to have more gremlins than ducks. Talk the dealer down as far as you can and snatch it up it looks like a nice one.

Insurance on my 2000 V11 sport is $14.50 a month. I started at $12.50 a month and For some reason its gone up a dollar a month right around the times the wife totalled a car. Hmmmmm.  :homer: Still I'm 25 and I've heard of even cheaper.  :huh2:

82722[/snapback]

Something that might be a consideration in your purchase is the operating cost of the bikes.

Ducati's need the shims done every 6,000 miles and the chain and sprockets will probably only be good for around 15.000 miles. If you aren't going to do your own servicing that will cost a bit.

The guzzi otoh has a relativly low maintenance shaft drive and the valves are less of an issue :)

Maybe I've missed something here, but have you actually ridden a big Guzzi at all? If you haven't it's imperative that you do before making a decision: they're not to everyone's tastes and very different to ride from the smaller Dukes. It doesn't much matter which you ride because the essential Guzziness is there in them all, not to be found in other V-twins and you may not like it. If you know already that you like big, heavy, relatively slow, old-fashioned sports bikes that demand input and commitment and ooze character, you'll like the 1100i. One thing's for sure, you'll keep it longer than any modern Duke, as Ben said.

Good luck!

Although the Monster is a good bike, it's soooo '90's and the 600/620 is underpowered imo. Plus maintenance for a Duc is ridiculously expensive!

That's one of the reasons why my brother sold his 13 year old 900 SS Lightweight and bought himself a evenly old Triumph Speed Triple. Talk about Modern Café Racer!

Triumph-SpeedTriple-1994.jpg

I used to own a Ducati 900SS and it was a great fun bike- very zippy motor with great handling. It was also more reliable than any Guzzi I have owned.

I only had one small problem in 4 years- a slight leak from the hydraulic clutch.

Why did I sell it? It was only good for one thing- thrashing around country lanes and A roads on a Sunday morning- I returned to the Guzzi fold because I wanted a more solid feeling bike with longer legs- and yes, I missed the Guzziness.

If I could afford it and had the room, I would love a 749R in the garage to accompany the other bikes.

When chosing a bike don't worry about what other people think- go with your own instincts and desires.

Guy :helmet:

For what it's worth I had a Sport 1100 and now have a V11. While the Sport is, in my opinion, a better looking bike the V11 is way more comfortable. There are some really good deals out there on V11s which get them into the price range of a Sport. :2c:

Best of luck on whatever you decide to buy and happy riding! :D:D

Like Jaap said the M620 is pretty low on power, and depending how tall & old you are, Monsters are a pretty tight fit too. The duck is lighter & more nimble, The goose, well, is a goose, one of a kind character. What Bob said though, ride one fist. I had wanted one for years and my first ride on one was a V11 with titanium cans. The sound alone cemented the deal for me.

Ditto for most of the comments. Notice that Ben being young, he probably weighs less than us old farts weighing in at 200#... I have a 2002 V11 Scura and my daughter has a 2002 Monster 750. You can imagine that when I get on either of the bikes, the response is quite different. So fitting the bike to your body as mentioned earlier with the comfort comments and matching it to the type of riding you want to do, you'll find what works best.

Good luck.

Like Guzzirider, I too used to have a Ducati 900 SS (sp), a 1995 model. A very capable bike indeed. However, I sold it for one reason; the song of the sausage creature. It doesn't just whisper in your ear to go fast, it screams.

I was always looking to see how far I could lean into corners; could I slide it just a little into that next corner? The sausage creature always told me to do it. :blush:

I sold it before I crashed it. :notworthy:

The Goose will still whisper to me, but it doesn't make me do the evil that the Duck did.

Good luck in your decision :bier: .

As a previous Ducati owner, nothing pissed me off more than the fact it cost me money to do my own maintenance [shim replace kit] and farming out maintenance costs. And high maintenance it was, and still are.

You will find the Ducati more surefooted in corners, but aside from that [i know cornering is important] you will find the small 15 litre fuel tank of all Monsters a pain, with many stops for fuel.

The Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport is about to go through a time of value increase after a stagnant time of flat line pricing. The Monster is about to be replaced [well Ducati time anyways] as the design is long on the tooth, and when replaced, the old look will lose value noticably.

The most recent Ducati Supersport series have been a sales failure, as no-one but designer Pierre Terblanche seem to like the look. And the look of a bike is very important. Ducati will be reskinning these things, which is actually a great bike [an afternoon on one told me it's on a par with a V11 powerwise, and much better handling] , leaving the current body skinned models to wallow in the background.

The 620 Duck really has fluffy power, you'd be disapointed, they have to be spun up regularly.

Ciao, Steve G.

What Jaap said about the Speed Triple. I just sold one of my bikes (not the Guzzi) and for it's replacement I'm looking at the Ducati Multistrada 1000, Aprilia Tuono and the new 1050 Speed Triple. The 1050 will, in all likelihood, be my new bike, as the maintenance on the MTS is too frequent and too much money, and the parts availability on the Tuono will be as unobtanium as the Guzzi, and I don't need two bikes like that (although both are very reliable and don't seem to require much). Anyway, if you haven't ridden the Sport or any of the others, make sure you do prior to buying.

I'm gonna disagree with Ralph :o I found the sport 1100 to more comfortable than the V11. See if you can wrangle a test ride & not just around the block. YMMV.

I used to have a 95 Speed Triple & they're a good looking bike with a anvil for a motor but, they handle like one of my 18 wheelers :vomit:

Edited by TX REDNECK