V11Sport flywheel lightening?

guzzijack

Hi all,

Before I drop the V11 engine into the LM V Tonti frame I'm contemplating any additional modifications that may be worth considering.

The engine will be mated to the LM 5 speed gearbox and although I am aware that the V11S flywheel with the twin plate clutch assembly is already a tad lighter than the 'old school' LM era assembly I wonder if there will be anything to gain from putting it on a bit of a diet? I'm sure there will be some valid opinions about this but does anyone have experience of it in the real world?

The ignition 'problem' of running the V11 lump with carbs has been solved thanks to Cliff Jeffries. He has adapted one of his earlier MyECU boxes to utilise the TDC sensor and drive the coils with software advance etc. :bike:

Graham

The engine will be mated to the LM 5 speed gearbox and although I am aware that the V11S flywheel with the twin plate clutch assembly is already a tad lighter than the 'old school' LM era assembly I wonder if there will be anything to gain from putting it on a bit of a diet? I'm sure there will be some valid opinions about this but does anyone have experience of it in the real world?

The ignition 'problem' of running the V11 lump with carbs has been solved thanks to Cliff Jeffries. He has adapted one of his earlier MyECU boxes to utilise the TDC sensor and drive the coils with software advance etc. :bike:

Graham

83727[/snapback]

I think that I asked a similar question sometime in the past & got the word that there really isn't any more lightening that can be done to the v11 Sport series steel flywheels w/o going to aluminum; they're pretty much at the "holey relic" stage as delivered. But I could be wrong. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Great news on sorting out the ignition/fueling issue! You do realize that photos of the entire process will be expected of you? Excellent...

:thumbsup:

Hello Graham,

I don't know the answer to your question but I have a question for you.

Are you using the V11 Sport flywheel/clutch assy with the LM 5 gear box?

I am thinking of doing a similar engine swap and wanted to know the compatibility between the two.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi all,

Before I drop the V11 engine into the LM V Tonti frame I'm contemplating any additional modifications that may be worth considering.

Graham

83727[/snapback]

Hello Graham,

I don't know the answer to your question but I have a question for you.

Are you using the V11 Sport flywheel/clutch assy with the LM 5 gear box?

I am thinking of doing a similar engine swap and wanted to know the compatibility between the two.

Hi Mike,

I had an exchange of emails with Todd Egan of Guzzitech noteriety about this and the clutch is apparently not an issue when swapping a 5 speed clunker for the 6 speed V11 box - Todd has done a similar job on his Jackal see Todd's Jackal. Similarly there should be no problems with changing the actuating mechanism from hydraulic to manual with the 10 spring 2 plate clutch (although there are aftermarket hydro units available for the 5 speeder setup if required).

However, there are items which will need addressing - presuming of course that you are contemplating doing the same as I am and dropping the V11S lump into a Tonti - these are:

1) Timing cover will either need replacing by a post (I think) 1993 version for a Ducati alternator equipped engine - if you get one for an EFI Cali series bike you will be OK - or get the angle grinder out and remove the spine frame's upper engine mounting lugs and drill through the lower one for the Tonti mounting point, (it's there with one side already drilled through). At first I thought I could keep the original V11 timing cover and utilise the upper mounting points to hang an oil cooler from but they just foul the Tonti's down tubes so I'm investigating the possibility of locating a very small cooler inside the LM bellypan fairing.

2) Re-jig the breather returns from the Tonti's rear frame cross rail - the rubber ones that go to the heads. On the V11S engine there is one single return to the rear of the sump. What I've done is cut off the spigots on the Tonti frame and welded one shut. The other L/H one has been modified with a thicker gauge intenally threaded spigot to take a banjo bolt for the V11 style braided return line.

3) Sparks. As alluded to in my original post, if you are going with carbs then you'll need to contact Cliff Jefferies for a black box to run the coils off of the V11S TDC sensor via the cam phonic wheel. If going with FI then no problems - not an option for me as my LM is being rebuilt as a Dr John 1985 Endurance Racer replica so I'm sticking a pair of Lectron carbs on it.

pa2302771ao.jpg

I think that's about it. Email me direct if there's anything else you want to discuss

guzzijack@yahoo.co.uk

Best of luck

Graham

I think that I asked a similar question sometime in the past & got the word that there really isn't any more lightening that can be done to the v11 Sport series steel flywheels w/o going to aluminum; they're pretty much at the "holey relic" stage as delivered. But I could be wrong. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Great news on sorting out the ignition/fueling issue! You do realize that photos of the entire process will be expected of you? Excellent...

:thumbsup:

83776[/snapback]

Yes, a bit lazy of me I should have put them both on the scales before firing that off :stupid:

I presume from the lack of replies and info on this modification on the various web boards that it's not worth considering so I'll consign it to the 'rainy day projects' section and spend the money on something else (not difficult!).

Yes, it's all being documented and all being well I should end up with a road going approximation of this

drjohnmkv1001small3gy.jpg

Graham