Helmet Painting

DeBenGuzzi

Could someone tell me a good brand to look for? or at least where to get it? something durable and easy enough to use. I'd like to go spray can on this one. The helmet is old and not worth a sweet paint job I'm thinking 1-3 colors and a moto guzzi emblem under a clear coat on it somewhere. Nothing spectacular I just hope I don't go spliting any padding. :grin: Actually I'm just going to remove the lens and tape off from there, no foam removal.

Ben, you probably already know this but some helmet materials suffer structural disintegration, which isn't always visible, when solvents are used on them: be careful; you could end up with a pretty helmet which will shatter at first impact!

structural disintegration... when solvents are used on them: be careful; you could end up with a pretty helmet which will shatter at first impact!

84258[/snapback]

Come on, a bit of paint on the noggin never did Dame Barbara any harm :luigi:

cartland_narrowweb__200x344.jpg:wub:

Frenchbob is right, don't paint polycarbonate helmets. The paint solvents will "melt" the plastic. OTOH glassfibre / composit helmets can be painted, no problem.

84264[/snapback]

Well I have a Nolan that appears to have been painted from the factory Well its flaking off like paint anyway. Can I paint a Nolan? is there any kind of paint that Can paint a poly helm?

I bet I could airbrush the thing with the right paints. <_ don have a compressor an airbrush>

Well I have a Nolan that appears to have been painted from the factory Well its flaking off like paint anyway. Can I paint a Nolan? is there any kind of paint that Can paint a poly helm?

I bet I could airbrush the thing with the right paints.  <_ don have a compressor an airbrush>

84268[/snapback]

that Nolan may have been polished & then had stickers placedfor the design from the factory.

I know that some Polys can get away with Acrylic with an Acrylic clear over the top... BUT enamel out of a can is a no no no...

it would be is safe as :cheese: on your head.

n_s_S!

that Nolan may have been polished & then had stickers placedfor the design from the factory.

I know that some Polys can get away with Acrylic with an Acrylic clear over the top... BUT enamel out of a can is a no no no...

it would be is safe as  :cheese: on your head.

n_s_S!

84294[/snapback]

Dang it. I'm glad I Asked b4 I went off and bought some rattle can crap. Well what if I put on some (who knows what) paint nice and thick with an airbrush then a hard top coat? rattle or not. still a bad idea? The helmet I want is currently unobtanium because I haven't seen ANYplace outside of italy that has them and I would need to AT least try that style on that I've only seen in the MG helmet. :angry: I'm almost positive its made my suomy. :huh2:

There doesn't seem much point. It'll just scrape off again.

84308[/snapback]

Point taken. I just need a NEW one. This one will be my backup/spare or used for possible off roading? who knows I guess I'll be trying on lots of helmets this spring. :doh:

Ben, you don't live in the Black Mountain Hills of Dakota, do you? Girlfriend called Magill, first name Lil, but known to everyone as Nancy?

This could be the helmet for you.

Watch out for guys called Dan, though....