Bike won't start!

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So it turns out that the Guz sucked the oil pan gasket up - this is what turned the oil light on. Phoenix Motorsports fixed it, after waiting 3 months for the parts, and I moved BACK to L.A. So I had the bike shipped to me - and now the bike will not start. What in the world?!

- Fuel pump primes up fine

- Starter is working

- The bike appears to not be getting gas

Any ideas guys? The dealer seems to not have any ideas for me...HELP! I want to ride!

Long shot, but how about the fuel cutoff solenoid on the left side of the tank? I have seen failures of these.

Check the fuses and relays next.

Another quick way to see if it is a fuel problem is a squirt of starting fluid into each of the throttle bodies. Must use caution with this one, many singed eye brows from this method. This will tell you if it is a spark or fuel problem.

If the bike fires up and dies, the problem is fuel. Installing a fuel pressure gauge would be next. If the fuel pressure is ok then you will need to check for an injector pulse at the injectors.

Lets just hope it is something simple first.

Good luck,

Mike

So it turns out that the Guz sucked the oil pan gasket up - this is what turned the oil light on. Phoenix Motorsports fixed it, after waiting 3 months for the parts, and I moved BACK to L.A. So I had the bike shipped to me - and now the bike will not start. What in the world?!

- Starter is working

Any ideas guys? The dealer seems to not have any ideas for me...HELP! I want to ride!

84725[/snapback]

- Starter is working

84725[/snapback]

If she's been stood for 3 months I could suspect gummed up injectors.

But first the basics.

Are you getting a spark? test by holding plug against head when you turn over.

Are you sure you're not getting any fuel through, are the plugs dry? smell of fuel?

Is it fresh fuel? Is yours the one with the fuel petlock? is it open? and enough fuel in tank?

Did Phoenix run her once they'd fixed the oil light? If so I could be something done in transit. Check the fuses and relays. How's the battery? Check and tighten all connectors

Sorry not much help - I'm used to my old trials bikes not starting not the Guzzi.

I hope you can get her sorted quickly

...totally wild ass guess, but mine did a similar thing and the dealer couldn't find the problem for many months:

- dead cam angle sensor which runs the ignition timing

It's a cheap part, and as soon as they replaced it... started right up.

Al

Guest robbrugg

On doing a close visual inspection, I found that the head temp sensor was cracked (right at the base) and a little loose.

Could this be the culprit?

Guest Nogbad
On doing a close visual inspection, I found that the head temp sensor was cracked (right at the base) and a little loose.

85109[/snapback]

The only sensor that will stop the engine is apparently the cam angle one. Bad temperature sensors may mess up the fuelling but the engine should still go.

Guest robbrugg

Checked the plugs - looked black, DRY, caked and hard - cleaned them off, but still no fire up from the bike.

I did check to see if I had spark, and YES, I do.

QUESTION: How do I squirt starter fluid into the throttle bodies?

You can gain access to the throttle intake by loosening the rearward rubber intake and pulling it back off the throttle body. It will slide into the airbox out of the way.

Guest ratchethack
QUESTION: How do I squirt starter fluid into the throttle bodies?

Just an idea - if you're just trying to verify ignition, you could unscrew the vacuum barbs in the intake manifolds and give a squirt, quickly hand-tighten 'em, and give 'er a go.

Good luck! :luigi:

85109[/snapback]

If it is sending a signal that indicates a hot engine, then it will probably be too lean too start.

If it is sending a signal that the ECU sees as a "fault", anything is possible as far as I know. ie. the ECU could shutdown, run extra rich for safety, etc.

Guest Nogbad
If it is sending a signal that indicates a hot engine, then it will probably be too lean too start.

If it is sending a signal that the ECU sees as a "fault", anything is possible as far as I know. ie. the ECU could shutdown, run extra rich for safety, etc.

85271[/snapback]

Where is Cliff? He understands the workings of the ECU and should be able to say one way or the other.

Sounds like most of the basics have been covered.

Did Phoenix Motorsports have the bike running or just assembled the bike?

The fact that you see spark indicates the ECU and timing pick up are ok.

If Phoenix Motorsports didn't run the bike, could the cam timing wheel have been misaligned?

Temp sensors could result in insufficent fuel

Have you checked if the ECU is giving any fault codes?

Check all your connectors particularly the injectors.

I came across a Laverda with a fuel pump in the tank and its fuel line had come off. You could try removing the fuel line from the pressure regulator and place in a container and see if it pumps fuel when priming.