drive line phase

Guest jimjib

Guest jimjib

After greasing my drive shaft splines i realized I got it back togeather with the marks not aligned properly. I cannot feel any difference in the vibration so I wonder if it really makes that big a difference. I know many of the beemer guys say that the 1100's and 1150's come from the factory with no attention paid to phasing.

Jim,

Driveline phasing is very important! I am a auto tech. and when at a driveline school many years ago they showed us a driveline with just one working u joint. When at high working angles the yoke turns at a constant speed but the driveline will speed up and slow down when going through the u joint. It is very hard to picture this. The same thing happens when using a universal joint with a socket wrench and extension. With two u joints the speed up and slow down action is cancel out. This is why phasing is so important.

The marks on the driveline should line up. Mine did and when I was cleaning my bike and checking the air pressure, I noticed that now they don't. Go figure, when the bike was at the shop having the transmission repaired, the driveline got out of phase. Now I need to rephase the driveline before leaving for Prescott.

Mike back in the garage :huh:

Docc,

The marks look like paint and are lines about an inch. long (25mm.). Just turn the driveshaft and you will see them toward the rear third of the shaft where the slip yoke is. It is quite easy to reindex them, just pull the rear wheel off and remove the rear strut bolt and the final drive unit will slide off at the slip yoke. Eye ball the lines and slide the shaft back together. My marks do not align perfect but are close. It took me about 30 min. to do the job.

Mike

Hello All,

As you are talking about the alignment on the rear drive I have a related question on the nature of this beast. I have put many miles on the older model Guzzis and am new to the V11 type rear drive set up. My Sport has 7k on it now and at times when I roll it into the garage after a short ride I can hear a light clicking noise coming form the drive line. On the older bikes this always means U-joint trouble so I took a look at it. I found no apparent porblem and noticed the alignment marks you speak of. I also noticed that the entire drive box actually is able to move a few .001" on the rear axel. I am at this time assuming that this is normal. My question is how much play or "float " is normal? As well does anyone have any idea what my clicking noise is. It occours every few revolutions of the shaft. When the bike is up on the stand and the rear wheel is rotated there is no sound at all or any play in the wheel bearings.

RR