Joel Robert Help Needed

Orson

Travesty of travesties...Wikipedia had no page on motocross legend Joel Robert :o

I whipped up a quick Joel Robert page using data I found on the web however, I'm lacking any records previous to the 1964 season and apres the 1972 season.

Anyone have "The History of Motocross" or any such tome in their library?

Life gets slow out here on an offshore rig and need something to pass the time :huh2:

An outake from my "Joel Robert Thesis" :

Robert is remembered as one of the most naturally talented motocross riders in history. In one of the most physically demanding disciplines in sports, he was notorious for his lack of training as well as his cigarette smoking. He even put his cigarette out on Sylvain Geboers's crossbar once on the start line at a series finale, which Joel ended up winning.

:rasta:

All very good for row-BEAR, but where's the page for Brad Lackey?!

85015[/snapback]

Lackey was another favorite of mine.

But Robert had an aura about him...there's the story of race organizers who decided to cut down on starting gate jumpers by requiring all riders put their left hand on their helmets before the start. Starting flag is waved...pack roars off....out in front, with a 100 foot lead is Robert, looking back at his pursuers with his left hand still on his helmet :D

Then there's the tale where he had such a huge lead at one of the Trans-AMA races that he stopped to take a swig of beer from a spectator :D:drink:

That would be BAD BRAD as we called him back then (and even now), local boy does good!

Mike

All very good for row-BEAR, but where's the page for Brad Lackey?!

classic_lackey.jpg

85015[/snapback]

...such a huge lead at one of the Trans-AMA races..

I was at a Trans-AMA race in California and I couldn't figure out how Roger DeCoster was seemingly able to just float above the rough sections (this was a natural track--not the jump filled things of today) while all the American riders were bucking all over the track looking anything but smooth. It was as if DeCoster could have won that race on a Hodaka. Just amazing.

(is there any Guzzi content to this thread?)

and how about Gerrit Wolsink, the motorcrossing dentist? Where is his page?

85088[/snapback]

He was one of my favourites. He is rumoured to have extracted a tooth from a fan once - without novocaine!!

My other favourites.

Heikki Mikkola. The Flying Finn

Rolf Tiblin. He didn't need suspension - he was the suspension!! I believe it was Bob Hannah that was seated beside him at an awards banquet and he challenged Rolf to a race. Rolf said "Ja but I get to choose the bikes". The race never happened!

Was Robert the guy who won a GP in Belgium (I think - some time in the 1970's) despite one of the slightly partisan crowd whacking him in the face with a fence post as he went past?

85047[/snapback]

I think it may have been Brad Lackey or another American who was whacked on the hand during the Belgian grand Prix...Robert is Belgian so he would have been a hometown favorite.

re: my Robert research....I've found a photo on the web of a "Joel Robert replica" 1974 Puch 250cc MX.

Does this mean that Robert took a factory Puch ride in 1974? The clues are tantalizing but no substance yet.

Guest john45
I think it may have been Brad Lackey or another American who was whacked on the hand during the Belgian grand Prix...Robert is Belgian so he would have been a hometown favorite.

re: my Robert research....I've found a photo on the web of a "Joel Robert replica" 1974 Puch 250cc MX.

Does this mean that Robert took a factory Puch ride in 1974? The clues are tantalizing but no substance yet.

85101[/snapback]

Harry Everts, father of many time World MX champion Stefan Everts, gave me a pair of Heckel boots at the 1975 Puyallup Trans-Am, which he won (on a Puch) I wish I stll had 'em! I was also at Puyallup in '72 when Ake Jonnson won during his streak of 9 strait. I think Mikkola's factory Husky was stolen from the hotel parking lot that year.

A few years ago, I was up at the Reno Air Races and Bob Hannah now races airplanes. He was flying a P51 Mustang and in the pits there was a display of a Rolls Royce V12 engine with Yamaha painted on the valve covers. I guess he is still backed by Yamaha.

Mike

He was one of my favourites. He is rumoured to have extracted a tooth from a fan once - without novocaine!!

My other favourites.

Heikki Mikkola. The Flying Finn

Rolf Tiblin. He didn't need suspension - he was the suspension!! I believe it was Bob Hannah that was seated beside him at an awards banquet and he challenged Rolf to a race. Rolf said "Ja but I get to choose the bikes". The race never happened!

85092[/snapback]

Harry Everts, father of many time World MX champion Stefan Everts, gave me a pair of Heckel boots at the 1975 Puyallup Trans-Am, which he won (on a Puch) I wish I stll had 'em! I was also at Puyallup in '72 when Ake Jonnson won during his streak of 9 strait. I think Mikkola's factory Husky was stolen from the hotel parking lot that year.

85108[/snapback]

Oh man. Now you know my secrat God. My first bike was a Sears Puch that I converted to a real Puch with Betor forks and such.

I actually sent messages through Sears to Harry Everts and somewhere I have a reply!!! Now I have to go deep in the basement bits!!!