2003 -> 2002 Sport/LeMans Retrofit Options

al_roethlisberger

Not that I'm planning any of these modifications in the near future.... but it might be interesting none-the-less to start thinking about what it might take to refit 2002 bikes with some of the "improvements" of the 2003+ V11 Sport/LeMans bikes such as the increased diameter forks, integrated fuel-pump/tank, other??

Obviously over the next year, time will tell whether these 2003 changes represent any real advantages, but if they do and as wrecked 2003 bikes start to become available :o .... we may have to opportunity to change out some of the pre-2003 components if desired.

However, to do that, one would have to research what was required.

In my opinion, the only two 2003 changes that are attractive to me, and might be reasonably easy to retrofit would be the tank/fuel-pump and front suspension.

So, in regard to the front suspension, I wonder what parts would be required?

Obviously:

1) 2003 Front Forks

2) " Front Axle

3) " Front Bearing Assembly

4) " Bottom Triple Clamp

Not so obvious :huh2:

1) 2003 Top Triple Clamp(are they 43mm or still 2002-spec 40mm?)

2) 2003 43mm Bar Clamps(are they 43mm or still 2002-spec 40mm?)

3) 2003 Front Wheel

4) 2003 Inner Fairing(the thing with the holes for your fork legs :P)

5) other??

It will be interesting to hear feedback over the next year on how much better, or not, the new 43mm forks are. So for example, with shops like LE, can one get similar performance as the 43mm forks modified or not? This might help one understand whether it's worth modifying the 40mm 2002 forks, try to upgrade to the 2003 43mm forks and modify them as well, or if just about as expensive, just go ahead and get some 40mm Ohlins.... :huh2:

Similarly, for the 2003 Tank, obviously beyond just getting it painted... I wonder if it is juse a "bolt-on" affair other than perhaps some modified electrical connections and fuel-hose routing??

Anyway, just interesting.

al

P.S. ACK!! ...this was apparantly the "post of the Devil" :blink: #666

Maybe no one should mix 2002 and 2003 parts now. Sorry for any jinxes guys :rolleyes:

.ekib wen a on ni 2002 ruoy edart tsuj to nur gnol eht ni repaehc eb thgim tI

sorry...the 666 thing got me going...

It might be cheaper in the long run to just trade your 2002 in on a new bike. You have to figure, if an '03 is wrecked- chances are it hit something, or something hit it. In either case, forks are often the sacrificial part.

Besides- honestly- how much better are 3 mm larger forks? I know I wouldn't tell a difference. Also- if one wants to spend big bucks on a tank, why not have a cool aluminum tank made by the tank shop, or Evan Williams (is that right?) or whoever does that kind of thing.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Jason

....true enough on the forks, but a whole new bike will undoubtedly be several thousand $$ more than what one could get for their 1-2 year old, plus I like my bike and have put a lot into it :) So I don't see trading the bike in as an option, unless one really wanted an '03 specifically.

Regarding the tank issue, it seems from some cursory reports that people may actually be getting a tad more useable capacity from the new tank, and it may solve the "vapor lock" issue. If so, this would be a real plus in my book. If one could get into one of these complete tanks for say, $400-600, then sell their original for around $200.... it would b e good deal IMHO. However, that's making a lot of assumptions at this point :lol:

I've looked at a couple of the aluminum tank vendors, and none are currently marketing a V11 tank, and all of the tanks seem a bit fragile... and costly. Not to mention that it will do nothing for the "vapor lock" issue, which is my primary interest in the new tanks.

We'll certainly see over the next year whether the new tank and fuel-pump arrangement makes any difference. Until then, I'm just thinking ahead... just in case :)

al