Eureka! Now What?

Bill Hagan

Well, I finally figured out what has been casing that maddening buzz at 3.9K - 4.1K.

As you may recall, the front and rear crossovers seemed the most likely suspects, tho the rear pegs were also considered culprits.

Well, thanks to Mike Stewart, I fixed the rear-crossover; see http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7494&hl=

Then, thanks to Aaron and Anthony, new shims are in the front. In putting those on, I also discovered that the two screws at the top of the alternator had dismounted along the road somewhere, and I thought, hmmmmmm, mebbe. http://snipurl.com/p6r3 Put new fasteners in ... but, unfortunately, the @#$%^& thing still buzzed. :blush::huh2:

But, aha! Last evening I ran it up to the "bad zone" on the tach and realized what it was. :homer: The flyscreen. Double :homer:

Anyone else had this ... and fixed it?

I tightened the various fasteners, but no joy. I'm thinking about putting a black rubber ball or something of the like between the instruments and the screen, but would be glad to hear from someone of another cheap and easy fix ... that works.

On the bright side, knowing what has been doing this is a great (albeit somewhat embarrassing) relief.

Thanks.

Bill

Guest ratchethack

Bill, I had the same problem. I have a Sport with Stucchi flyscreen that mounts to the top triple clamp with two brackets. I suspect y'er Billybob has a different, but somewhat similar arrangement? In my case, I figured out that the rubber mounts for the instrument bracket had "settled in" and compressed slightly over time, eventually allowing the instrument nacelle to contact the screen. The fix was to take off the flyscreen and incrementally bend each bracket forward slightly, until it cleared the instruments by about 1 mm. No rattle prob's since. -_-

Double :homer: , now that is bad Bill :P

Well, at least all the repairs you have done did need it.

I have to admit that noises coming from a bike are hard to track down while riding.

A couple of thoughts come to mind, have the throttle bodies been balanced at the Garage Mahalo lately? I would check the balance at the rpm you are having problems at. I am pretty sure you and Wayne have the bike running as smooth as it could be.

Another question is it a vibration or rattle from the flyscreen? It could be as simple as the windscreen rattling against the fairing which foam tape could be the solution. If it is a vibration and the windscreen is tight, I would check all the mounts of the flyscreen mounting brackets (think you already covered it) and even the engine mounts/bolts.

Hopefully it will be something simple,

Mike

Well, I finally figured out what has been casing that maddening buzz at 3.9K - 4.1K.

As you may recall, the front and rear crossovers seemed the most likely suspects, tho the rear pegs were also considered culprits. 

Well, thanks to Mike Stewart, I fixed the rear-crossover; see http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7494&hl=

Then, thanks to Aaron and Anthony, new shims are in the front.  In putting those on, I also discovered that the two screws at the top of the alternator had dismounted along the road somewhere, and I thought, hmmmmmm, mebbe.  http://snipurl.com/p6r3    Put new fasteners in ... but, unfortunately, the @#$%^& thing still buzzed.  :blush:  :huh2: 

But, aha!  Last evening I ran it up to the "bad zone" on the tach and realized what it was.  :homer:  The flyscreen.  Double  :homer:

I tightened the various fasteners, but no joy.  I'm thinking about putting a black rubber ball or something of the like between the instruments and the screen, but would be glad to hear from someone of another cheap and easy fix ... that works.

On the bright side, knowing what has been doing this is a great (albeit somewhat embarrassing) relief. 

Thanks.

Bill

86324[/snapback]

Bill,

My Ballabio did this from when it was new, even when I have it running very smooth. It would be most noticeable on mine at med revs when riding fairly slow as I have to do through a local 25 mph speedtrap. VERY annoying....

The fix for me was to put some pieces of rubber between the chrome headlight ring and the fairing in two places where it was rubbing. At the very top and the lower left corner when looking at it from the front. See the attached picture. I ended up using about 1/2 inch of one of the vent hoses I removed along with the evap cannister. Just split the half inch section in two lengthwise ans wedged them in there. They are only held in by friction but in over 8000 miles have not budged an inch! Almost invisible too!

Before doing this I had tried making sure everything was tight and even with the laminar lip installed, it still buzzed. This solved it completely.

Randy

IMG_2062.JPG

I tightened the various fasteners, but no joy. I'm thinking about putting a black rubber ball or something of the like between the instruments and the screen, but would be glad to hear from someone of another cheap and easy fix ... that works.

Thanks.

Bill

Bill, my dad used to say: "Tighten the screw until it starts loosening up again, then back off 1/2 a turn". :unsure:

Don't know if that will work in this case, (where's Wayne when you need him) but it sounds like you've found the frequency where items start resonating. If you can find a small sheet of Sorbothane locally, use this in between the screws, nuts, instruments, flyscreen, and anywhere else you can think of to dampen the vibrations. I believe that Parts Express sells Sorbothane (or a similar type material). www.partsexpress.com

Phil

I had an odd very "growl-like" buzz at around 4k for a while, and it turned out to be the "air intake" looking things on side of the Lemans fairing vibrating against the main fairing.

... a little loosening of the bolts, twisting, and retightening fixed it, but not before the edges of the "intakes" had rubbed through the finish :bbblll:

I'm sure I looked stupid riding the bike around, revving the engine up and down, up and down, and running my hands all over the bodywork trying to find that darned buzz :rolleyes:

al