pressure washing 02 fuzzy paint

Tom M

Hi guys,

I have an 02 LeMans with flaking "fuzzy" engine paint. The previous owner took Guzzi swag instead of getting the cases replaced under warranty. I was thinking of masking off everything around the engine and blasting it with a pressure washer to get rid of the loose paint, then squirting it with the Harley crinkle paint. My only concern is will the driven water get behind the alternator cover and cause any electrical issues? Anybody out there have any experience with this?

BTW, I just got the bike last week, burned 3 tanks of gas so far and I love it! :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Tom

Not sure about this one TBH.

I don't like these pressure washers for use on bikes...

It is not just the alternator it finds its way into.

I haven't reached the point where I need to attack my engine paint yet.

If it were me I would live with it until the first teardown and then get it blasted......

HHmmmmm. If you are looking for a patch-up job.....

I think it may be better to wire brush it. That way you would get off the corrosion underneath the flaky paint too.

Nige. B)

Tom, I have the same problem and am tired of fighting with Guzzi North America on it (now Piaggio USA). I've been waiting for my cases for 2 years. I was on the old MGNA list to receive replacements...but the new Piaggio USA guys had the balls to tell me that that list doesn't matter any more and they are starting a new one.....oh, and they aren't expecting any new engine cases with the old style fuzzy paint. They will swap you out with a new style semi-gloss case, but it would not look very good next to the gear box and bevel.

So, I'm going to leave my great running engine the way it is and do a HD rattle-can repaint. My plan is to use a dremil rotary tool and a wire brush attachment so I can get in all the corners to get the loose paint off. I'm getting ready to move to central CA, so won't be tackling this until sometime in June. Let me know how your project goes and what you find that works best.

cheers,

Jason

Guest bshpilot

can i just say PHEW !

sounds like i got lucky all the way around...dont know who

i should thank for turning down the cases that arrived for 'em

but THANK YOU ! <and an even greater THANKS to MPH>.

man im GLAD i didnt take the swag...no leather coat would have

ever lasted as long as a nicely <redone> engine...always said

i didnt need another jacket.

Tom ---> Maybe try using that HD paint over top of the existing

problem areas...seem to me that you dont have much to loose, and

it might get you thru current riding season, to devote more time

to it this winter.

Thanks guys. Maybe the pressure washer wasn't such a great idea. I already bought the Harley paint so I think I'll just scrub the flaking areas with a wire brush as suggested and just paint those spots.

Here's a pic of the bad side of my bike. The flaking paint is too easy to spot :bbblll:

http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=misc0070jn.jpg

Tom, nice bike. If it makes you feel a little better, my engine is 1000 times worse than yours. I'd say that 75% of the fuzzy paint has bubbled and cracked off. It's really looks like crap. Wierd though, the pan and the front cover behind the alternator look perfect.

Which HD paint are you using? The black tectured rattlecan (part no: 98606BF)?? I know they offer the older style wrickle paint (vice newer textured) in a quart....but think they only sell the textured in aerosal. The textured should match pretty good. You just gonna cover and tape off the way it sits? I'm contemplating taking the jugs off but would rather not. Best of luck, keep me posted on how it goes.

Hi guys,

I have an 02 LeMans with flaking "fuzzy" engine paint.  The previous owner took Guzzi swag instead of getting the cases replaced under warranty.  I was thinking of masking off everything around the engine and blasting it with a pressure washer to get rid of the loose paint, then squirting it with the Harley crinkle paint.  My only concern is will the driven water get behind the alternator cover and cause any electrical issues?  Anybody out there have any experience with this?

BTW, I just got the bike last week, burned 3 tanks of gas so far and I love it!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Tom

86970[/snapback]

Hey Tom,

My '02 is the same way. :vomit: I havn't done anything yet but hear good things about the Harley wrinkle paint. If you pressure wash be very careful but by no means sand blast. You'll be asking for trouble. It seems like the stuff is pretty soft when hot. I think when I get ready to do mine I'll get the engine hot and scrape the stuff off. A heat gun will help too.

:2c:

Hey Tom,

My '02 is the same way.  :vomit: I havn't done anything yet but hear good things about the Harley wrinkle paint. If you pressure wash be very careful but by no means sand blast. You'll be asking for trouble. It seems like the stuff is pretty soft when hot. I think when I get ready to do mine I'll get the engine hot and scrape the stuff off. A heat gun will help too.

:2c:

87159[/snapback]

When I suggested blasting I was intending when the motor was stripped down.

If you were going to attempt it assembled, it would have to be very well bunged and masked.

Also there are other media other than sand. Perhaps bead blasting may be more effective?

You would have to enquire of somebody better versed in this area than me TBH

Nige. B)

Mine is doing the bubble thing now as well, with just over 7,000 miles on the clock.

As we are in the throes of autumn now in our part of the world and looking towards those inevitable dark wet winter days. It will soon be time for me to attack my cases. I have heard what good things have been done by soda blasters. Similar to sand blasters but using a lower pressure and bicarbonate of soda as the medium. I'll let you know how it works out.

Rob