Headlights and visibility

Guest freeman

And how does that help you see where you're going?

And while it might be standard practice where you are it is still pretty stupid.

It is not a matter of stupidity.

There are advantages to each daylight headlight method of usage.

No headlight allows drivers pulling out into to traffic to have the best sense of how fast you are traveling, but the careless and the blind have little chance see you before you T-bone them or more likely dodge them with horn blaring.

Low beam headlight allows drivers pulling out into to traffic to have an OK, but not great sense of how fast you are traveling, but some of the careless and the blind won't see you before you T-bone them or dodge them hand gesture extended.

A modulating headlight allows drivers pulling out into to traffic some sense but not a good sense of how fast you are traveling, but the flicker can hypnotize them and make them do stupid things, but only the most careless and the blind won't see you before you T-bone them or whatever....

High beam headlight allows drivers pulling out into to traffic to have little sense of how fast you are traveling, and only the very most careless and the blind won't see you before you T-bone them or dodge them with foul language echoing in your helmet.

I think a three light set up is more ideal, especially if they are different colors. For example an HID headlight with a pair of amber driving lights would be ideal, and it helps identify you as a motorcycle, as oppose to a UFO.

I prefer the low beam in dark cloudy weather, when traveling on the freeway where they are not going to pull out in front of you from a stop, but rather merge into you, and on calm city streets.

In the bright desert a high beam sticks out better. A high beam on seems to be more effective when going quickly on a winding road where you come across interchanges too fast to stop for T-bone bait. (Yes, you should not be going that fast, but we all do.)

Also, I like the high beam on when lane splitting as you usually get the attention of a few more people to give you room.

Yah, you might think some of those ideas are stupid....whatever. :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, you have relays in the bucket.

Excellent! that should be helping deliver more volts to the bulb.

My point about your GEI relays failing was not that the failing relay would cause the bulb to fail, but that bad connections or a voltage regulator that was not properly regulating caused the pre-mature failure of both the bulbs and the relays.

I don't really understand how bad connections cause an increase in amperage, but apparently they can.

Be sure to check your 30A charging system fuse for signs of melting, and make sure your maximum voltage at the battery with engine revvvvvved does not exceed 14.6V.

The Omrons should be perfectly suitable for inside the bucket. The big ones may be a little too close to the heat of the reflector. The Omrons are the better choice for the bucket in my opinion. You don't need a 30A rating. A 20A rated relay may actually last longer due to the self cleaning action of moderate amperage. But it is probably not worth the headache of changing to if you made a harness with sockets to only fit the larger relays. If they are simply connected with individual blade sockets, I say go for the Omrons. Who knows, they may even extend the life of your bulbs and they should last longer than your average brand, and you may be saving half a watt of energy as the Omrons likely use less energy than the 30A relays!!!!

Hi Dave,

One comment: The typical incandescent bulb's resistance increases about 10 to 1 from initial surge to full brightness. Therefore, a high resistance relay contact, wiring, or connector could prevent the bulb from reaching its operating temperature. If voltage to the bulb is low enough, increased current at lower voltage is possible.

John

Hi Dave,

One comment: The typical incandescent bulb's resistance increases about 10 to 1 from initial surge to full brightness. Therefore, a high resistance relay contact, wiring, or connector could prevent the bulb from reaching its operating temperature. If voltage to the bulb is low enough, increased current at lower voltage is possible.

John

Thanks that is a good explanation.

Of course that would not cause the bulb to fail earlier, but it could cause fuse to blow, wires to bake, relays to go bad, etc., right?

Probably not Docc's situation at all.

I'd still check the output voltage if I were he.

I think a three light set up is more ideal.

I prefer the low beam in dark cloudy weather, when traveling on the freeway where they are not going to pull out in front of you from a stop, but rather merge into you, and on calm city streets.

In the bright desert a high beam sticks out better.

A high beam on seems to be more effective when going quickly on a winding road where you come across interchanges too fast to stop for T-bone bait. (Yes, you should not be going that fast, but we all do.)

+1 to what I've quoted from your post above.

Generally speaking, I think running on highbeams sucks. Modern moto headlights are bright and do more to piss people off than to help the rider.

A lone bike out on a low density highway = hi beam

A lone bike on curvy mountain roads = hi beam

The rest of the time it's low beam unless I'm in congested city traffic and I feel like I need more conspicuity.

I really believe the three light triangle is the best thing for front end motorcycle conspicuity.

I really believe the three light triangle is the best thing for front end motorcycle conspicuity.

Undoubtedly, too bad it's illegal Stateside [byproduct of the Detroit Big 4 pulling political strings 50 years ago to shut down Turner & his "steered center headlight" attempt at car manufacture...] ;)

It doesn't help you see where you are going. It helps OTHERS see where you ARE. In the UK it might be "stupid", but in the US drivers do not see motorcyclists very well. They are usually to busy talking on their cell phone or putting on make-up. Anything you can do to increase visability and make yourself seen is a good thing. And during the day the hi-beam is much more visable then the low beam.

In the UK it's illegal. Not to mention fucking irritating.

In the UK it's illegal. Not to mention fucking irritating.

Won't even mention the camouflage effects of bright lights, or risk homeostasis, or that defensive riding will always be safer than mechanical aids. Might as well cover the bike in reflective graphics and swear by a white helmet...

On the flip side the headlight as bog on the V11 is sufficiently crap even the rider tends to struggle to notice the difference on main beam, even at night :)

Guest ratchethack
Undoubtedly, too bad it's illegal Stateside [byproduct of the Detroit Big 4 pulling political strings 50 years ago to shut down Turner & his "steered center headlight" attempt at car manufacture...] ;)

Never knew that, Skeeve. Good one.

I know you'll appreciate a slight correction: ;)

post-1212-1208030687.jpg

1948 Tucker Torpedo

1948_Tucker_Torpedo.jpg

1948 Tucker Torpedo

Yes, thanks, "Tucker"! I knew at the time I was getting it wrong, but I didn't want to take the time to look it up. My bad!

Thanks for the correction, & the pic.

:thumbsup:

BTW - The way the Harley guys get away w/ the lightbars w/ a light to either side of the headlight is:

A: the side lights are significantly smaller than the headlight

B: they're aimed down [nominally]

&C: they much lower wattage [iirc, 35w vs. the normal 55w "low" main beam.]

But a dual-headlight bike or the 3 lights in a triangle concept bike Guzzi did a while back would have significantly enhanced awareness [as opposed to visibility] for the oncoming drivers.

& as far as headlight modulators go, yes "they're fucking irritating," that's the fucking point! [shaking head] Some people just don't get it...

;)

You got a source for that ???

Three HEADLIGHTS "may" be illegal for automobiles, but I can assure you that a headlight and two AUX lights is NOT illegal for MOTORCYCLES.

HD has been factory equipping motorcycles with "passing lamps" for at least 50-years... Not to mention all the JAP cruisers.

Millions of motorcycles in the USA run a headlight and two AUX lights...

BTW - The way the Harley guys get away w/ the lightbars w/ a light to either side of the headlight is:

A: the side lights are significantly smaller than the headlight

B: they're aimed down [nominally]

&C: they much lower wattage [iirc, 35w vs. the normal 55w "low" main beam.]

It's not "Harley Guys" getting away with anything. HD, Triumph, Guzzi, and all the Japanese manufacturers factory equip cruisers with 2 auxiliary lamps to compliment the single headlight.

Electraglide, California Vintage, etc.

55w is legal in the USA for AUX lights. Some people run 35w, but that is thier choice, not the law.

The size doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Where did you come up with this stuff ??? Seriously ???

:huh2:

278498046_hDRBW-L.jpg

278500204_2oh6F-L.jpg

1948_Tucker_Torpedo.jpg

1948 Tucker Torpedo

I once owned an Excalibur. I think it was a 1985 or thereabouts. It came with a central driving light in addition to the outer two. The central light was linked to the steering. As far as I know, it was perfectly legal. It certainly was cool, driving at night with that cyclops light laser beam. :)

Where did you come up with this stuff ??? Seriously ???

:huh2:

Oddly enough, the vehicle code. I remember thinking "that's stupid" when I read it, but it required headlamps to be fit in pairs [so 2, 4 or 6 headlamps are fine] & the only exception for motorcycles was that they can have only 1 headlamp [but no exemption on higher odd numbers was listed or could be inferred.] Got me to thinking "when did *this* law come into being?.." Gotta love those legislators, sticking their greedy little fingers into everything! ;)

Hi Dave,

John

I'm reading that as: a sequence of 'flashes' is not good for the bulb. Certainly, this one burned out when I did that.

The bucket relays do press against the back of the reflector. I suppose they could be contributing to higher temperatures at the bulb. Of course, they could just as easily form a heat sink and lower the emps. Or the temps at the bulb may be so high it makes no difference.

The 30 amp circuits do melt fuses and I have changed mine to a better rated fuse holder.

Thanks all the input.

BTW, the new BMW 335i rotates the outer lamp in a curve. Tucker lives on!