More LED Turn Signal Woes

slug

G'day all

I have a led falasher unit thats designed to work up to 30watts so i should be able to use leds, a mix or standards all round if the need arises.

I removed the flasher bulb and found that the system still only worked with leds at the rear and standard 10 watt bulbs up front. Normal flash rate.

Is the "lights on all around" when leds used on all points with led flasher unit and no other mods ? I havent had this symptom yet. I am trialing all this with 2 led screw in bulbs at a time -not all four.

Could the polarity of the front indicators be and issue when i try to use the led in the front ? Perhaps the polarity is different post my front indicator wire burn out ?

Bruce

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

G'day all

I have a led falasher unit thats designed to work up to 30watts so i should be able to use leds, a mix or standards all round if the need arises.

I removed the flasher bulb and found that the system still only worked with leds at the rear and standard 10 watt bulbs up front. Normal flash rate.

Is the "lights on all around" when leds used on all points with led flasher unit and no other mods ? I havent had this symptom yet. I am trialing all this with 2 led screw in bulbs at a time -not all four.

Could the polarity of the front indicators be and issue when i try to use the led in the front ? Perhaps the polarity is different post my front indicator wire burn out ?

Bruce

G'day Bruce,

I still think you got the polarity wrong at the rear lights.

The Guzzi assembly line does not care about getting the polarity correct, since they are sold with incandescent bulbs.

Turn off the ignition, open one of the rear turn signal lamps, pull out the LED bulb, get an ohm meter, and test for ground. The socket should be grounded, not the centered bulb contact. If the centered bulb contact is grounded and the socket is not, then you need to reverse the wiring.

The other possible possibility is that you are putting the bulb in wrong. But I am not sure if that is possible. For the rear brake it is very possible, but I have never changed a turn signal bulb, so I don't know what type of bayonet socket it uses.

If you want to retain the dashboard turn signal indicator, you need to do what the others suggested, but you need to get past this other hurdle first, because it should work with the four LEDs, and LED flasher and no dashboard turn signal indicator.

Checked polarity of all indicator points-they are fine.

Ran leds all round today with led flasher-both rears flashing at same time, nothing up front and a weak flashing indicator idiot light.

In keeping with Greg's 4volt find on the opposite side of front activated circuit- I found that with a simple bulb type circuit tester a dimmer flash on the non activated flasher side.

Cheers

Bruce

Checked polarity of all indicator points-they are fine.

That is strange.

I was sure that it should work with warning bulb removed, and the likely reason for failure is the polarity.

Anybody have any ideas why removing the warning light, incandescent in front, and LED in rear, would not work?

I give up, but now that you have all four LEDs hooked up, perhaps try removing the warning bulb, and logic will be defied and it will work!

:huh2:

Good Luck!