Pirelli Diablo Strada tires

rocketman

I took advantage of the recent free pirelli front tire offer. I Finally mounted them and I want to share my impressions. This is my third set of tires and the first time I have strayed from the OEM BT020 Bridgstones. I also bought an ATV/Motorcycle jack at cyclegear for $89.00 bucks and built a pork chop bracket and bolted it to a piece of plywood. Now I can jack it up and take the wheels off myself. Got this idea from a friend who rides a Scura. I went with a 170 rear tire instead of the 180. Got this idea from others on the forum. Thanks Rachethack.

After playing around with tire pressures and scrubing them in I must say they are a big improvement over the Bridgstones. They turn in nicely and hold the line effortlessly. The front and the back seem to be working together. Steering is more nuetral. It's easier to correct the line when leaned over. With the 180 Bridgestone, it seemed like the rear lagged behind and it made the bike feel a little heavy. The Pirelli's are a little quicker turning but not twitchy. My first ride out I had too much pressure in them and they felt goofy. My first thought was that I just made another costly mistake. I have learned what the rest of you guys may already know; more pressure equals faster turn in; less pressure slows em down. So far I have settled for 33 in the front and 38 in the back. They ride nicer than the Bridgestones. The Bridgestones were harsh. The Perilli's warm up quick and feel planted. Way more confidence inspiring. I have only riden them on dry warm pavement (it's about time) so I can't say anything about what they are like in the rain. Anyway, I am having a ball. They just feel great. Give the 170 rear a try if you are looking for a change.

Rocketman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took advantage of the same deal :bier: to those that poste the deal!

I have been on the rear Strada for a while now and really like it!

Why does almost every new tire feel better than the proceeding tire :huh2:

Anyway I feel more confident in the twisties with it than the proceeding Dunlop that I thought was the best ever.

It feels like a slightly harder compound as gassing it out of turns seems to start the feel of sliding a little earlier, but it still feels more confident.

Remarkable for the price!

I can't wait to install the front tire.... :doh:

Will report on mileage before end of Summer if all goes according to plan :bike:

Guest Bob in CT

I'm on my second set of Diablo's. The rear got 7,000 miles (paper thin in middle) would change it next time at 6,000. I just changed the front at a litte over 10,000. Still had plenty of tread, but had cupped a little. That cheap front tire was sitting on my shelf and I could resist.

By the way I wouldn't put bridgestones on if you payed me. :2c: In emergency braking situations the tires take off like a shot. It's happened to me and I 've seen a lot of people crash that had bridgestones on.

Stick with Pirelli's or Metzeler's you and your bike will be a lot happier.

Guest ratchethack

In my case I think it's because the old ones're worn out... -_-;)

Hi, I,ve gone through two rear diablos, one a std one and the other a diablo strada, and I'm on my 2nd front diablo. I can't fault them, they stick, they turn well and even last a reasonable (by sporty tyre standards) mileage. I've just ordered a new rear diablo from a dealer on ebay for £65 + 9.50 p+p today to replace the balding rear strada. I was going with another strada as in fairness I can't say I noticed the difference(although a lot of the miles on it where during the winter)but the diablo was £25 cheaper than the strada?!

rear diablo - 6000 miles

rear diablo srada - 5500 miles

front diablo - 12000+ (was fitted when I got bike last june, but could possibly be original in which case 18000! there was no mention in the service records of it being changed)

Cheers Gary :bier:

I took advantage of the same deal  :bier:  to those that poste the deal!

I have been on the rear Strada for a while now and really like it!

Anyway I feel more confident in the twisties with it than the proceeding Dunlop that I thought was the best ever.

It feels like a slightly harder compound as gassing it out of turns seems to start the feel of sliding a little earlier, but it still feels more confident.

Remarkable for the price!

I can't wait to install the front tire.... :doh:

Will report on mileage before end of Summer if all goes according to plan :bike:

88247[/snapback]

Can you guys enlighten me about this tire deal? I'm looking to put on the Pirelli diablo strata, the prices here in Canada are listed at 201.95 for the front (120/70 ZR17) and 253.96 for the rear (170/60 ZR17) plus taxes! I found a set on ebay for 216.00 US (that's for both!) but they only ship to the U.S. :(

If any of the local BC guys are reading this and know of a local dealer that has good prices can you post it here please.

Can you guys enlighten me about this tire deal?  I'm looking to put on the Pirelli diablo strata, the prices here in Canada are listed at 201.95 for the front (120/70 ZR17)  and 253.96 for the rear (170/60 ZR17) plus taxes!  I found a set on ebay for 216.00 US (that's for both!) but they only ship to the U.S. :(

88413[/snapback]

Deal all gone; sorry!

About 1? 2? months back, the news hit that Pirelli was running a BOGO offer on the Diablo Strada; if you bought a rear, they'd send you a front for $25 s/h. It was limited to the U.S. tho', iirc [maybe N.Am?] Anyway, they'd allocated something like 1000 tires to the promo, the website had a nifty little countdown tracker, and they were all used up by the 2nd of April or thereabouts [the last I recall checking the countdown status.]

Try looking for a deal on BT010 front/BT020 rear; now that Bridgestone has supplanted them with the BT014?, you maybe can get a good price for that combo, which everyone who's ever run them sez combines the good handling of the 10s w/ the better mileage of the 20s in a much superior way than stock issue of 020s front & rear!

Abbotsford to Sumas is a pretty short trip, you could get whatever you want shipped to Sumas, and then go down and pick it up. I do this all the time, very helpful for eBay purchases; there are businesses there that serve just this purpose for a modest fee. Just don't go on :sun: a sunny Friday afternoon, unless you are walking across. :sun:

In my case I think it's because the old ones're worn out... -_-  ;)

88273[/snapback]

Now that's a fact. That also demonstrates that tire profile can make a huge difference as the profile of a worn tire is nothing at all like the profile of a new tire - even same model and brand.

Now that's a fact. That also demonstrates that tire profile can make a huge difference as the profile of a worn tire is nothing at all like the profile of a new tire - even same model and brand.

88508[/snapback]

Very true, but with only 2000 miles on the Bridgestones I slid the back twice while slowing under circumstances that I felt were too sudden on a very familiar road. I also felt that the front would lose traction too soon under hard braking. With the offer of a free front I switched to the Pirellis and they feel great. I've pushed them harder through the same curve without incident :thumbsup:

In my case I think it's because the old ones're worn out... -_-  ;)

88273[/snapback]

Everytime I put a new set of tires on there is an initial disliking for the tires because the new tires turn into the turns so much faster.

But I know I have to get used to them, before I judge them.

I also know that I should not compare them to merely to the worn out characteristics of the proceeding tire....but I do, because my memory has trouble remembering how good the tires are.

What struck me when I put on the Stradas is that despite being the second cheapest tires I have used, they seem to be equal or better than anything I have tried. I attribute this partially to the quality of the tire, but also to a faulty memory that sub consciously must be paying attention to the worn out, last days, of the previous tire.

But I also noticed that I was keeping up with riders that normally totally lose me, even when my previous tires were new .

It is difficult to be objective.

I do recall my desperately wanting to replace the Bridgestone, Avon, and Continentals that I tried.

While the Pirelli, Metzeler, and Dunlop seemed pretty good at the end of their lives.

The Bridgestone and Avon had more front cupping which made me desperate to replace and the Continental had a speed wobble problem.

As much as I liked the Dunlop d220, I am pretty sure I went slower on them, despite the excellent feel of traction.

One thing I found is that tire mileage did not seem to vary much between tires

It is very difficult to be objective about tires, I may just stop trying and stick to Pirellis, even if they are not made in Italy :doh: If equivallent Metzeler is cheaper, I may go with that.

Abbotsford to Sumas is a pretty short trip, you could get whatever you want shipped to Sumas, and then go down and pick it up.  I do this all the time, very helpful for eBay purchases; there are businesses there that serve just this purpose for a modest fee.  Just don't go on :sun:  a sunny Friday afternoon, unless you are walking across. :sun:

88474[/snapback]

I'm thinking along the same lines. A friend at work just told me about a place he uses in Blane WA.

Most wholesale motorcycle outlets also ship for free in the US. so I just have to pick it up from Sumas which is only a 15 minute drive from my place.

I have never bought anything from the states but with the Canadian dollar at a 30 year high, plus the better prices I think my next purchase will probably come from the US.

Recommend 'Ship Happens' 115 First Street, PO Box 1477, Sumas WA 98295.' They just raised their rate per package to 5 cdn or 4 us, they keep it for up to ninety days for that price, they are a UPS store, and they are an easy walk from the border. (Under the big cowboy on the left going south) Been using them for about two years. Generally very happy with them. This border crossing works fine, and most of the guys in Canada Customs seem to have motorcycles, though not Harleys, as you might expect, so they are interested in what you are bringing through (but not in the bad way). :grin:

Recommend 'Ship Happens' 115 First Street, PO Box 1477, Sumas WA 98295.'  They just raised their rate per package to 5 cdn or 4 us, they keep it for up to ninety days for that price, they are a UPS store, and they are an easy walk from the border. (Under the big cowboy  on the left going south)  Been using them for about two years.  Generally very happy with them.  This border crossing works fine, and most of the guys in Canada Customs seem to have motorcycles, though not Harleys, as you might expect, so they are interested in what you are bringing through (but not in the bad way). :grin:

88592[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, I hadn't checked the site in the last couple of days. So I already signed up with a company (Package Express) in Sumas the other day, I found them on the web and you can register online as well. $3US per package for 0-49 lbs.

Here is a question? Do you have to pay duty on most stuff or do you just pay the taxes. I think the rules are that you don't have to pay duty on stuff that is manufactured in the USA or Mexico (because of NAFTA). What has been your experience with other items, for example if you bring in something that is manufactured in Italy but sold through a dealer in the US?

Also I was talking to a parts guy at Richmond Motorsports yesterday, to get a quote on the Pirelli Diablo Stratas and he told me that he doesn't normally carry them because they can't give them away. He said the guys around here don't seem to like them, but guys in the States seem to like them. Now I am starting to rethink my choice. Maybe I should go with the Bridgestone BT 020's.

Yup, that's right, anything manufactured in N. America, like a Vanson jacket (pre Mark 3, anyway) as long as it has a makers tag stating country of origin, is duty-free. (Still taxed, though) There are some other favoured nations for duty, too. Israel is one, can't remember others. Pakistan, Indonesia, China aren't on that list, so most gear is subject to 17% duty. Helmets are safety equipment and are duty-free. Leather clothing isn't. :( You can get a list of goods and rates on the Government web site under 'Tarriff codes'. Most of the things I have brought across have been taxed and dutied. but sometimes the totals are so low they lose interest and let it go.

One important tip, HAVE THE PAPERWORK when you go down to pick something up, the Americans will want to know what you are picking up, and the Canadians will want to know what it cost. Good paperwork makes the border guards jobs easier, and they will be moree pleasant and much faster. Don't rely on the bills being included with the item, fine if it's there, but a problem if it's not. Good Luck!