Pirelli Diablo Strada tires

rocketman

Soren on the Gallery  is a picture of a Diablo tyre that will say more than thousand words...

ciao Antonio

89224[/snapback]

Ciao Antonio,

thanks for the pic but it still leaves me with the question whether somebody else has experienced long warmup time for their Diablo's. Don't get me wrong, I can see this guy has driven his bike to the max regarding the tyre's performance but I'm still not sure the Diablo is the right tyre for me or not.

Cheers

Søren

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now covered 350-400 kms on my new Pirelli Diablos.

I'm not quite sure whether I like them or not. In the beginning they didn't give me the right confidence but I just thought I had to break them in.

Today however, I took the Scura for a 3 hour ride on small b-roads North of Copenhagen. The weather was fine albeit windy and temperatures were about 13-14 celcius. In a sharp right hander I lost the rear wheel at about 60 km/h. I almost shit myself as it wasn't a small slide but close to a highsider. I went back and took the same corner at a slower speed just to check wether there was gravel and dirt on the road but there wasn't. I must emphasize that the tyres were warm but my question is - were they warm enough?

Have any of you experienced the same or was I just plain (un)lucky?

TIA

Søren

89193[/snapback]

That is scary.

I would be very careful warming them up.

Perhaps they need to run a pound or two softer.

Do new tires need less pressure than worn tires???

But fear not, Summer is coming.

Otherwise, I might speculate you need to switch to the Diablo Strada.

Still be careful with the tire as you may have gotten a lemon.

I know the one Conti Force I tried was a lemon, because other people raved about them and the one I tried would start signs of speed wobble at 80MPH.

So, lemons do exist.

...I'm still not sure the Diablo is the right tyre for me or not...

Dunno re the slide - were you possibly onto a bit of shoulder than wasn't yet scrubbed in? oil or other on tyre or road? Either could cause what you describe.

I found Diablos an excellent road tyre; grippy, with no great requirement for warming up & best of all very predictable at the limit. They had much more grip, far better wear pattern & handled far better than oem 020's. Only problem I had was if really pushed they overheated at the edges & would slide, but even then the slide was slow & easy to catch.

On track they limited how hard you could push, slid a fair bit, but again, always predictable & easy to catch.

I've not used Diablo stradas. Diablo Corsa will give you more grip & more wear.

The Michelins I have now - Power 2CT's - have a crazy amount of grip (great on track but, in some ways for me, more than is safe on the road in that you can run so much harder), but wear v quickly.

Diablos are good tyres.

KB :sun:

Dunno re the slide - were you possibly onto a bit of shoulder than wasn't yet scrubbed in? oil or other on tyre or road? Either could cause what you describe.

I found Diablos an excellent road tyre; grippy, with no great requirement for warming up & best of all very predictable at the limit. They had much more grip, far better wear pattern & handled far better than oem 020's. Only problem I had was if really pushed they overheated at the edges & would slide, but even then the slide was slow & easy to catch. 

On track they limited how hard you could push, slid a fair bit, but again, always predictable & easy to catch.

I've not used Diablo stradas. Diablo Corsa will give you more grip & more wear.

The Michelins I have now - Power 2CT's - have a crazy amount of grip (great on track but, in some ways for me, more than is safe on the road in that you can run so much harder), but wear v quickly.

Diablos are good tyres.

89312[/snapback]

well, having seen you floggin' your Scura around on the track overtaking (innertaking?? :P ) Japanese bamboo rockets I'll stand corrected :bike:

Being a tight bastard I'll wear the Diablos out this season, but it won't be my preferred tyre for next season. Thanks for the offer, Antonio, but I'll keep them till next season.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Cheers

Søren

Was it just the one slide put you off?

89464[/snapback]

Yup, and my wife is still complaining about skidmarks in my undies.....

Yup, and my wife is still complaining about skidmarks in my undies.....

89466[/snapback]

I reallythink the Pirellis are a good tyre on the road, much better than oem Bridgestones - how did you get on with them? Least it came back - which I found was one of the best features of the Diablo. Maybe with a few more miles you'll get to like them better? What did you have on before? They do steer quicker than 020's.

I put some Michelins on now & good grief they're grippy but they won't likely do half Diablo mileage...

I reallythink the Pirellis are a good tyre on the road, much better than oem Bridgestones - how did you get on with them? Least it came back - which I found was one of the best features of the Diablo. Maybe with a few more miles you'll get to like them better? What did you have on before? They do steer quicker than 020's.

I put some Michelins on now & good grief they're grippy but they won't likely do half Diablo mileage...

89467[/snapback]

I rode the 020 last season and they were ok but far from impressive.

A lot of you recommended the Diablos so I decided to give them a chance.

As you mention I probably just need to give them more time and adapt to them. I only covered 400 km so far, but that should be enough time to break them in as far as I know.

Thanks for your comments, Baldini

Søren

... I only covered 400 km so far, but that should be enough time to break them in...

Are they scrubbed in right across the tread?

Are they Diablos or Diablo Stradas?

I fitted Diablo Corsas to H's bike last weekend. She did not fancy scrubbing in the new tyres in the wet so I offered to do it for her and took her V11 out for a long run on Sunday in the rain and fog over the local moors.

I got a few funny looks when I stopped for an ice cream at Hollingworth Lake and ate it in the rain, but I am used to getting funny looks.

I obviously took it very easy to start with but after about 30 miles began to progressively wind it on and even in slippery conditions, the Corsas were fantastic with loads of feel and grip- I run these on my bike too and am totally smitten with them.

:bike:

Myself and friskycutter did the deal for the free front tire today. Number 68 and 67 gone! I don't know if I'll use them on the Centauro or V11. Maybe I'll sell them for full price to the idiot with the old ZX6 who is whinging about tire prices. He is such an idiot!

Note to Canadian customers. Parts Canada has no more 160's but Full Bore has 2 left!! Lots of 170's and 180's for those with the wider rims!! Don't know about 190's.

The application asked where did you find out about this deal. I responded with V11lemans.com forum.

... I only covered 400 km so far, but that should be enough time to break them in ...

Distance isn't really relevant. All you're doing is cleaning off the shiny surface of the new tyre by leaning it further until whole tread has been used, a little bit at a time. This can be done in very few miles on the right road, or even within a few corners on a track...

Leaning hard onto an unscrubbed part of the tyre can cause a dramatic slide.

Curing continues during the life of a tyre but this isn't relevant here, unless you'd used it so hard as to overheat it.

Distance isn't really relevant. All you're doing is cleaning off the shiny surface of the new tyre by leaning it further until whole tread has been used, a little bit at a time. This can be done in very few miles on the right road, or even within a few corners on a track...

Leaning hard onto an unscrubbed part of the tyre can cause a dramatic slide.

Curing continues during the life of a tyre but this isn't relevant here, unless you'd used it so hard as to overheat it.

89653[/snapback]

Hi again, KB

thanks for your help. I´ve been out today racing Barry Sheene (RIP!) style :not: on the same roads as last time. Today´s trip went fine and there was no drama this time, thank God.

I guess you´re right about scrubbing the tyres and I´ve decided to sign up for a track day very soon in order to find my and the bike´s limits.

BR

Søren

PS: My tyres are Diablos, not Stradas.