Emulsification

I did a service on my V11Lemans today.

I found some emulsification in the oil when draining it out and dropping the pan.

And Horrors of horrors a coating of the rocker boxes when doing the tappets,

050506006.jpg

I use 15w50 Fuchs Silkolene Comp a synthetic and went 5,000 miles since the last change and tappet adjust. Is this emulsification because;

1- It doesn't get hot enough on my 13 mile commute to work during the winter despite 85mph plus speeds 0n the 7 miles of motorway.

2- I've over stretched the length of the oil change period

3- Wrong grade of oil

4-should have used dino oil

I've replaced like with like and obviously will report a difference at the next time I pull the rocker box off. I might do it just after been to Scotland will do 2.5 k over 5 days and have got 3k under the wheels by then would separate points 1 and 2 from 3 and 4

Guest Nogbad

I think it's simply temperature. None of the other things you mention should affect it.

I think what you have is pretty much normal :huh2:

In in Northern California, you will get some milk shake like coatings inside the valve covers. In wet or high humidity climates, I would think there would be even more condensation like what you have experenced. So I would call it normal. :blush:

When I parted out my 2000 V11 Sport, I was amazed how much water came out of the frame from the breather system they use. Maybe they need a water seperator on the return hose to the engine oil sump :homer:

Mike

Thanks for your comments. I don't recollect there being any when I did it at 15k last September. It had been run on Mobil 1 and obviously the ambient temperatures where warmer and I'd done lots of long days during the summer.

Since then it's mostly been commuting over the winter apart form the Welsh Waltz 2 and a 100mile trip to Birmingham for the RBR presentation dinner

Guest Nogbad

The emulsion is actually a GOOD THING. This indicates that the oil is mopping up the condensate and keeping it away from your metal!

I have never found any condensate in mine. It never does a shorter journey than 45 miles though.

Martin,

I would like to hear about what happens in your next service interval. I'm running a Multistrada on that oil and haven't had that happen. I was about to go with that as the oil for my Guzzi V11's but, that slurry looks odd. Please follow up on your report.

Wick

mayo in the rocker box is due to temp. 13 miles is not very far to get the oil up to full temp to burn off condensation. I used to have a oil temp dipstick on the last guzzi and it took about30 miles to get up to temp in the so called summer.

I would also drop the sump you might find a build up of sludge in the inlet filter on the oil pickup

Martin,

I would like to hear about what happens in your next service interval. I'm running a Multistrada on that oil and haven't had that happen. I was about to go with that as the oil for my Guzzi V11's but, that slurry looks odd. Please follow up on your report.

Wick

88306[/snapback]

I'll do that when back from the Highland Fling

mayo in the rocker box is due to temp. 13 miles is not very far to get the oil up to full temp to burn off condensation. I used to have a oil temp dipstick on the last guzzi and it took about30 miles to get up to temp in the so called summer.

I would also drop the sump you might find a build up of sludge in the inlet filter on the oil pickup

88307[/snapback]

The pan wire mesh filter was clear. I did give the pan a wipe out as well. I was thinking that the shorter journeys only during the winter was probably the cause.

Martin, it must be short journeys at low temperatures. I would nonetheless use oil change intervals of max 3000m, though. Also, I'm no expert on oils, but I think European winter temperatures might require a something like a 5/40 fully synthetic.

Both the interval and the grade I mentioned are the latest recommendations for the V11 from MG [2005 handbook].

This topic has been covered extensively on the Guzzi exchange forum at least twice, it is usually in refference to Tonti's but the principles remain the same with the V11. It comes down to Guzzis weird placement of the PCV valve. In fact I think Greg was posing the question very recently on Guzzitech too and Chris Rampen gave details of his fix there as well. Living where I doin an incredibly arid area I don't get mayonaise any more but it used to be a pain in London 25 years ago.

Pete

I did a service on my V11Lemans today.

I found some emulsification in the oil when draining it out and dropping the pan.

And Horrors of horrors a coating of the rocker boxes when doing the tappets,

050506006.jpg

I use  15w50 Fuchs Silkolene Comp a synthetic and went 5,000 miles since the last change and tappet adjust. Is this emulsification because;

1- It doesn't get hot enough on my 13 mile commute to work during the winter despite 85mph plus speeds 0n the 7 miles of motorway.

3- Wrong grade of oil

I've replaced like with like and obviously will report  a difference at the next time I pull the rocker box off. I might do it just after been to Scotland will do 2.5 k over  5 days and have got 3k under the wheels by then would separate points 1 and 2 from 3 and 4

88290[/snapback]

Geez Martin,

don't want to sound like an anal old woman, but arn't you worried about buggering up the paint on the rocker box covers laying them down on the ground like that?

Ciao, Steve G.

Geez Martin,

don't want to sound like an anal old woman, but arn't you worried about buggering up the paint on the rocker box covers laying them down on the ground like that?

Ciao, Steve G.

88373[/snapback]

:P:thumbsup:

88290[/snapback]

Major reason

88290[/snapback]

Changing sooner will only make your mayonaisse whiter... :food:

3- Wrong grade of oill

88290[/snapback]

Thinner oil will make it more like creamy vinagrette than Mayonaisse, so a tiny bit more will wash a way a tiny bit more easily, but only a tiny bit of a difference.

88290[/snapback]

That would make it even worse...but only a little :(

5-should I move to sunny San Diego?

88290[/snapback]

Your bike will love it here! :bier::sun: