Buying (bought?) a Tenni

Garsdad

OK, I have been wanting a Guuzi for a long, long time. To my eye, the new V11 LeMans was the one to have, especially in the Nero trim.

Unfortunately, Nero's are hard to find. Second favorite, the Tenni. Found one. Price agreed on, deal made, flight booked... all that remains is to climb on and ride her home.

After looking up the VIN, she is outside of the recalls. I bought a spare pawl spring. What I don't have is the "how to change this on the side of the road" instructions, or a list of the tools required. The bike has no tool kit (not that any factory supplied tool it is worth a crap anyway) so I will be putting together my usual list of suspects for tools. My question is, what special tools do I need? What size are the bolts that hold the cover on? Is there a gasket in there, or should I include a tube of form-a-gasket?

The miles are super-low, and I don't think I will have a problem coming home, but just in case I want to be prepared.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Ryan

Try here for BFG's guide on pawl spring replacement which links to this and this  :notworthy:

88402[/snapback]

Very cool. I had read bits of this on another old thread, but this is rather clear.

I assume a metric set of allen keys, the standard 10-15mm wrenches and a quart of oil and I would be good to go?

Ryan

Rather than taking allen keys alone I'd take a 5mm allen 'T' bar as this makes removing stuff like the gearbox side cover a breeze.

Apart from that a puncture fix kit, 10, 13, 17, 19mm spanners plus a medium sized AFS spanner, a couple of screwdrivers and you should be set.

Enjoy the ride, if it's super-low miles you should have no problems. Maybe a spare relay or two?

Pete

Rather than taking allen keys alone I'd take a 5mm allen 'T' bar as this makes removing stuff like the gearbox side cover a breeze.

Apart from that a puncture fix kit, 10, 13, 17, 19mm spanners plus a medium sized AFS spanner, a couple of screwdrivers and you should be set.

Enjoy the ride, if it's super-low miles you should have no problems. Maybe a spare relay or two?

Pete

88417[/snapback]

Thanks for the sizes, Pete. With only 900 miles, I think I am safe, but I have had some very interesting trips when I assumed "I was safe" so I am a bit of a boy scout now.

Anyone know if they will confiscate my tools at the security gate? I’m not worried about the wrenches, but can you take a screwdriver on-board a plane these days? I wouldn't dream of checking my tank bag, so it's all carry-on.

Guest ckamin

Where is there a list of vin #'s which would have been included in the recall? I just want to check on my '03 Naked.

Thanks!

Carl

:bier: Congrats on the new Goose!! I've had my "new" Nero-Grigio 04 LeMans for a week now and I'm enjoying it greatly. :D I'm with the post before me. Where did you find a list of vin numbers? Can you supply us with a link? The previous owner had mine at the dealer for a check over the day before I picked her up. So I know everything is up to spec but I'd still like to take a peek at that vin list. Once again, enjoy your new ride. :race:

I can't remember who suggested it, but they suggested a shortened allen (cut the short leg down on the L) would fit a lot more easily in getting the side plate off. :huh2:

Congrats on the Tenni! You drink wine? You'll have to start. :bier:

I can't remember who suggested it, but they suggested a shortened allen (cut the short leg down on the L) would fit a lot more easily in getting the side plate off. :huh2:

Congrats on the Tenni!  You drink wine?  You'll have to start. :bier:

88444[/snapback]

No need to start drinking wine... I am already a known entity in the wine aisle at Trader Joe's! Might have to try a Chianti or two, though.

I took my VIN to Jan at Cascade Moto Classic in Beaverton, and she pulled a folder that had all the notices that affected Guzzis. We just compared my VIN against the ranges published in the notices. Sorry, I don't have them; once I determined mine was out of the range, I didn't think to write them down. If I have a chance after I get back, I'll see if she will let me jot them down and I'll post them.

I would almost feel better about making it home if it had a few more miles on it. I know these bikes are virtually bullet-proof once you work the bugs out, but I don't think this was has seen enough miles to work the bugs out. Of course, the current owner strikes me more as a "pay to get it done" than a "do it yourself" kind of guy, so he probably wouldn't know what to do about the glitches anyway. Once I get her home, I will go through the whole bike and make sure splines are lubed, wheel bearings aren't pinched, and the shift spring/boss are correct. Why wait for failure when you can prevent it so easily?

Incedently, there is a diecast model of the Guzzi V-8 with the green/silver/brown paint scheme on it posted on eBay. I may have to get it to keep in my tank bag so when people ask "Why is the fairing green, and what are the white spots for?" I can pull it out and talk about tradition, heritage, and class.

Ryan

Congrats on the Tenni!  You drink wine?  You'll have to start. :bier:

88444[/snapback]

That was BFG in his excellent posts on replacing the pawl spring and modifying the plate. I was looking at it this morning.