Shameless - Sorry

Guest Nogbad

Prejudice is a wonderful thing to behold.

89864[/snapback]

Almost as wonderful to behold as bad taste.

Oh, and I forgot to add to the list the prejudice of Harley riders is the worst, kinda like the prejudice of white males is the worst.

So, that was the negatives of Harleys and their culture.

Just to be balanced, I will struggle to come up with some positives:

two wheels

art appreciation (even if OC choppers and the like is déclassé trailer trash art, it is still art)

quality appreciation: billet, carbon fiber, hot babes, chrome

Push rods

twin cylinders

understanding that there is more to bikes than just HP

they sound better than inline fours (more bigotry, sorry :moon: )

Don't even get me started with all the other posers, the crotch rockets, the alternative cruisers, the brit bike elitists, the beemer elitists, the adventure riders with GPSs who never adventure, the ducati elitists, and worst of all the Guzzi elitists who somehow believe their antiques are the best.

If I was really open minded I suppose I would wear chaps on Monday, ballistic on Tuesday, tattoos on wednesday, shave my head on Thursday, put on a phony tail on Friday, bright multi-colored race leathers on Saturday, wife beater and flip flops on Sunday, and ride while under the influence of every drug I could get my hands on, in moderation of course.

You can do whatever you want. If you want to ride some ridiculous chopper, I'll wait for you at the next cross road. You wanna play cops and robbers all dressed up as a bad boy, hey, it is your fantasy.

I think it is silly.

If you want to call me a bigot for that, go ahead.

I will stick to my keep it simple approach, with a dirty guzzi, conservative black leathers, full face helmet, simple ballistics covered in dead bugs, no GPS, yes WBO2, no tattoos, no jewlery except maybe a watch or wedding band, no LOUD open pipes, no dew rag, no NASCAR cap, I like my head to breathe after taking a helmet off, suspension that handles, horsepower that moves me to a pleasant exhileration level.

I am sure some people find that unappealing too and that I lack style, no problem.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wannt go incogneto hmm don't think I Spelled that right, but get blacked out pipes pull off as much crome as I can and maybe even take off the tank badge, I will never buy any HD merch nor buy into the club they have(its creepy) but I will enjoy the smooth ride and great sound, plus it feels like it would be pretty damn comfy for a longer ride than I'm used to. :huh2:

Ride what tickles your fancy not what other ppl fancy. :bike: (fancy enough for ya?)

I fear Nogbads move to the dark side is nearly complete! One more sure step and there can be no return... a shorty helmet with the ever informative sticker which proclaims "My wife is a whore" , which of course is available at any respectable Harley shop.

But really I don't know whats going on over there but last Harley I rode in 03 was unimpressive and boring, while the BM's were smooth, precise and excellent handlers. Since my son now works a BMW shop I will be trying out the full complement of their machines in the future. The HP2 is awesome!

waspp

Guest MikeC

Nothing wrong with owning a HD, heck just about everybody I know that rides owns one and there is my problem with them, everyone has one, they are as common in my neck of the woods as mosquitos.

Owning one sure has plus's though, such as dealer network, parts out the gazu both stock and aftermarket. I just can't get over how common they are.

Funny bringing up HD's is almost as bad as religeon, or Global Warming!!!   :lol:

89876[/snapback]

I thought HD was a religion. There has to be some sort of mind control going on over there.

"Nothing wrong with owning a HD, heck just about everybody I know that rides owns one and there is my problem with them, everyone has one, they are as common in my neck of the woods as mosquitos."

You should live a hundred miles from Milwaukee. Can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting one.

Guest Nogbad
I fear Nogbads move to the dark side is nearly complete!

waspp

89915[/snapback]

:grin::ninja:

The Buell isn't QUITE a Harley.... well... OK maybe it is, but I still have and ride my V11! I was just posting my impressions of the Street Rod. I don't really go for cruisers, but it was a competent motorcycle. I suppose if you are determined to hate H-D.......

I suppose if you are determined to hate H-D.......

89922[/snapback]

For me it is about not liking an over-weight bike with too much rake and trail and not enough cornering clearance that would not be a lot of fun in the twisties.

I thought if Buell could get a hold of the engine he could address my complaints, but apparently he has no such interest.

Maybe he is a bigot against water cooled engines? :huh2:

Historically Guzzis and Beemers have been the choice of people who think like engineers, and Buell too, has appealled to that audience, but a 90 degree twin would appeal better.

Even with Guzzi, water cooled multivalves may be inevitable, although the air cooled two valves have the keep it simple approach that we appreciate.

/brazpho4.jpg[/img]

All in all I think I might buy a Buell Ulysses for a third bike down the road when I can get a used one for half their price. Its like riding a real tall heavy over powered mountain bike  :P:

89777[/snapback]

Luckily, you don't have to wait too long for Buell's resale pricing to crash and burn. Wait a couple years and you will get on for 1/2 price. Around here you can get Buells 3 yrs old for 1/2 the price of new.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Nogbad

What I would point out:

XB12R - 100 BHP Guzzi V11 - 90 BHP (And you get more of the XB12's power at the back wheel. The belt is way more efficient than the bevel box.

XB12R - 50 - 55 mpg Guzzi V11 40 - 45 mpg

XB12R - Euro3 with NO CAT V11 - No chance.

Just because the physical configuration of the H-D aircooled motor has been around since the dawn of time does not mean 2 valves and air cooling can't be made to work. It is easier to make a long stroke engine thermodynamically efficient and the peak power ain't too bad either.

So - Don't knock Buell or Harley. ALL bikes have their strengths and weaknesses.

Guest Nogbad

Where I have no experience with Harleys manufactured after 1981;

I once owned an XLS. I would hesitate to call the contraption a "motorcycle".

On the day that HD was sold, all my neighbors came over to thank me for being rid of it. As another result of my brief and former HD ownership, I may know why "bikers" never wave. They are probably terrified to let go of the bars.

89959[/snapback]

I have an article somewhere saying that no one has experienced a truly evil handling motorcycle until they have ridden a 1980's Guzzi, and that the only useful purpose of such a bike is as a boat anchor.

Obviously this is nonsense. But of the same ilk as your statement above.

As for Americans, since you are one, I bow to your superior knowledge, and when I next visit, will avoid the food.

Alright -- ENOUGH with the self-loathing Americans.

The motorcycles coming out of Milwaukee are manufactured to meet a need in the marketplace. Whether or not that need has anything to do with actual RIDING does not concern me.

Yeah, I hate the weenies who pose on their bikes and spend big bucks to be "in-the-club rebels" -- but they're not hurting anybody. It wasn't THAT long ago that I was spinning around metropolitan New York on a Triumph with a fashionable "pudding bowl" helmet -- some "cool" goggles -- and a showy (yet worthless) leather jacket. I mean, the eighties weren't THAT long ago, were they?

I dislike conformity on all levels, yet I'm aware enough to understand that most people MUST conform to survive. If a H-D is a useful prop for them, so be it.

Buells are the best-thought-out motorcycle on the planet. Just Saturday -- while blasting away on the Firebolt -- I remember thinking about Erik Buell's line, "THIS is the kind of motor you want for the street," and nodding my head in approval.

So long as these Harley posers are paying AMA dues, I welcome them. When they run open pipes that will almost certainly lead to more anti-noise legislation -- I want to kill them.

However, I do not hold the Motor Company responsible for the actions of these stooges? Perhaps I should.

The V-Rod is a hoot -- TONS of fun. Leave it at that.

REAL Harley guys HATE it. F**k them, and the choppers they rode in on.

V50

everybike has their purpose, the streetrod is on the same level as the vmaX Not the V11, The HD mark must have done something recently because I couldn't believe the power delivery and the smooth ride, it would be awesome if there could be a "blind" test ride for motorcycles but I don't know how that would be impossible. Everyone finds faults or fruits depending on their bias. I mean why would anyone buy a Vespa? they are tippy slow not very practical besides gas milage and cots as much as many new bikes and easily over other scooters why do ppl buy them? the name just like HD but the vespa is also one of the better scooters they are good at what they do and I kinda think harley is good at what it does lazy b roads on a late sunday afternoon with no direction and no hurry. :bier:

when I wanna boogie I got the Guzzi but sometimes I just like to take it easy and cruise, smell the roses so to speak. :whistle: