Shameless - Sorry

Guest Nogbad

So - Don't knock Buell or Harley. ALL bikes have their strengths and weaknesses.

89942[/snapback]

What is wrong with honesty?

If a bike has strengths, it shoulb be praised.

If a bike has weaknesses, it should be knocked.

No big deal, right?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grin:  :ninja:

The Buell isn't QUITE a Harley.... well... OK maybe it is, but I still have and ride my V11! I was just posting my impressions of the Street Rod. I don't really go for cruisers, but it was a competent motorcycle. I suppose if you are determined to hate H-D.......

89922[/snapback]

On the contrary, the Harley engine is a workhorse and can be refined to a sufficient degree as to make it a fun and responsive powerplant for any type of riding. When it comes to Buell, well I would definatly consider owning one, although they feel very small and somewhat uncomfortable.

What I do dislike is the Harley culture, that stuck up "i'm Gods gift to the motorcycling world" attitude. Every Tom @#$$#! and Harry out there talks endlessly about gettin a Harley... why because thats what the rest of the heard does of course. Hey there are other bikes out there, Harley has acheived the pinnacle of success from a very clever marketing strategy kudos to them for that, not from building a superior motorcycle. By the way on my list of bikes to own is a 1977 XLCR, tough to find, harder to ride but I still want one. :luigi:

waspp

Guest Nogbad

In the UK the Harley crowd in the main are ok. Yes there are a load of stockbrokers, lawyers etc. who just want to look cool on a Sunday trip to the pub, but they don't just buy Harleys, R1s and Ducatis are subject to the same fate. Guzzi escapes mostly by virtue of zero publicity!

America is probably very different as Harley there seems all bound up with the whole patriotism / live free or die / NRA beef ..... Or am I missing something?

America is probably very different as Harley there seems all bound up with the whole patriotism / live free or die / NRA beef ..... Or am I missing something?

90013[/snapback]

That is the stereotype, just like Guzzis are owned by eccentric geezers.

But there are people who break the stereotypes.

We have a few twenty somethings on this forum, but not many, and fewer women :(

Not all of us ride more than 10,000 miles per year, (I only ride about 6000 per year) and there are actually some Harley riders who ride more than 10000 miles per year, and some of it touring miles!!!

I like the picture Ben posted of the Harley covered in mud.

More power to them :bier:

What is the concensus on Harley vs. Victory?

To me, the Victory looks better built.

Guest Nogbad
The fashionable HD brand is wrapped in the flag to some degree, but the corn fed, gun toting nationalism that you reference runs deeper though US culture than a passing interest in motorcycles. (Speaking as a local observer).

90037[/snapback]

All I can say is I worked for a short while in NH and then in CA, and did a couple of jobs in the Midwest, and without exception found Americans of whatever political stripe to be some of the most open and hospitable dudes I ever met, whether it was an invite to church on Sunday, a back porch barbecue or spontaneous shooting in the woods.

So, I wouldn't be so heavy on the self loathing! It's too British!

Has anyone seen the "Pinks" (racers drag on TV for pink slips) episode where poser "Paulywood" complete with umbrella girls drag races his brand new Vrod against some early eighties Suzuki?

Pauly gets his ass handed to him in a hat. By a twenty+ year old Jap bike.

Harleys are shite. What was Ratchet saying about silk purses and sow's ears? Every HD I've ever been on, I couldn't wait to get back off again. I'd try a Buell if my head didn't stick out past the front tire.

I'm with you Steve - crap fest on wheels. A really shiny, well made, excellent fitting turd.

Rj

Guest Nogbad

So RJ, no one is trying to suggest you buy one or even try one. I don't see why, if someone does like one (and there are plenty V11 riders who also have a Harley / Buell) he should be condemned for it.

Maybe a V Rod can't hold a candle to some 20 year old Jap bitza in a drag race, but then I'm not a drag racer. I don't honestly care. All I say is that the Street Rod I rode handled quite well, had good enough brakes and a nice engine, and apart from the riding position would be a pleasant bike to own.

So RJ, no one is trying to suggest you buy one or even try one. I don't see why, if someone does like one (and there are plenty V11 riders who also have a Harley / Buell) he should be condemned for it.

Maybe a V Rod can't hold a candle to some 20 year old Jap bitza in a drag race, but then I'm not a drag racer. I don't honestly care. All I say is that the Street Rod I rode handled quite well, had good enough brakes and a nice engine, and apart from the riding position would be a pleasant bike to own.

90080[/snapback]

that same jap bike could prolly make our guzzi's look silly, I fail to see a point. :nerd:

I don't know why or what made us want to be on a motorcycle but for me it was speed and the thrill of being on something that made me excited everytime I sat on it. It started with a Japanese Bike (86 GSXR-750) and after 20 years of riding everything of all makes, I'm just excited to get on any bike. You guys are crititcizing bikes that are made in the US, Europe, and Japan. It is silly really, you all forgotten how you longed for some bike when you first thought that you wanted to ride. You browsed through all the magazines available and visited the dealers multiple times wishing one day soon your minimum wage job will get you the down payment for this thing. After the dream came true, it was definitely worth the wait. I don't think we all started on a Guzzi but we all should keep an open mind on what riding really means. Yeah you are not a "drag racer" but we all know why we ride.........it all started with SPEED and the Japanese bike rules in this arena. All other BS answers on why we ride now should remind us why we started riding in gthe first place. Get off your high horse and just pick a bike or bikes and have fun with it. Shit this subject is tiring, Just f*&&&ing ride or get off.

Regards,

Cliche

When I went drag racing last year on my Guzzi (I found a nice dress and wig to wear!- I am a lady don't you know- I wear ladies things and drink ladies drinks) I wished I could do the times of the V Rods that were there!

Saying that, I think they are a wee bit ugly- I prefer the good old slow air cooled tanks.

Guy :helmet:

90080[/snapback]

Nobody is condemning you, just the negative features of the bikes.

Don't tell me a V-Rod is an extension of your personallity!?!

Guest Nogbad
Nobody is condemning you, just the negative features of the bikes.

Don't tell me a V-Rod is an extension of your personallity!?!

90136[/snapback]

I don't have a V Rod. Like Guzzirider, I'm a lady too don't you know.