This is really crass I know, but...

We'll be arriving in Scotland on the ferry at bit after noon on the 15th of June. Since I'm notoriously thrifty (read cheap), I'm wondering if there are any forum members in the Glasgow or Edinburgh areas that would be willing (or crazy enough) to put 5 Yanks up for the night. We would like to see more of Scotland than just the road from Cairnryan to the English border. Also, how long does it take to drive from either Glasgow or Edinburgh to the Cambridge area of England?

Cairnryan to glasgow is 80 miles,Glasgow to cambridge is 348 miles, Edinburgh to Cambridge is 349 miles and would take around 6hrs. Try The AA website (automobile association) they have a great routeplanner for any trips you do in the uk and ireland, Sorry cant help with the accomodation.

Gary

Cairnryan to glasgow is 80 miles,Glasgow to cambridge is 348 miles, Edinburgh to Cambridge is 349 miles and would take around 6hrs. Try The AA website (automobile association) they have a great routeplanner for any trips you do in the uk and ireland, Sorry cant help with the accomodation.

Gary

89909[/snapback]

Thank you, I lose nothing by asking. Maybe we'll get lucky. Alternatively of course, we could just ask as to what would be a reasonably priced hotel in the region near some of the touristy areas.

I can recommend 2 hotels in nice areas, both a bit to the south of Glasgow:

Ken Bridge hotel

Annandale Arms

Nice roads around each one.

I stayed in the Annandale last Thursday night and it was quite pleasant. You could plan a nice cross country route from there if you wanted to avoid all the boring main roads.

Guy :helmet:

What do you visit before you move over to Scotland. You're then not on the ferry since NY, are you?

Hubert

90034[/snapback]

NY as in New York? Not hardly... Here's the ferry booking:

Route 1 - Route Details

Route 1 : Pembroke to Rosslare

Departure Date/Time: Sat 10 June 2006 at 0245

Arrival Date/Time: Sat 10 June 2006 at 0630

Passengers: 5 Adults

Transport: Car

Route 2 - Route Details

Route 2 : Larne to Cairnryan

Departure Date/Time: Thu 15 June 2006 at 1030

Arrival Date/Time: Thu 15 June 2006 at 1215

Passengers: 5 Adults

Transport: Car

We have accomodations in the northern end of Ireland but I suppose it would be a really nice diversion to spend a day in Dublin first. Same thing for Scotland. It would be nice to spend at least half a day in Edinburgh. The trip planning is a little tight at the end, we have to get my daughter-in-law back by Sunday night so she can go back to work Monday morning.