Italy in June

Bill Hagan

Yup. Kathi and I are going to be there 1-19 June. As Sherman said, "La guerra è inferno." ;)

Just posted this on w/g, but thought I'd put it here, too, as this board's readership might have even more ideas.

Anyway, other than the joy of mentioning this to everyone I meet [who does not, as I noticed at the virtual water cooler this morning, always share my joy ::)], did want to ask advice of those who may have ridden in the Mandello area at that time of year.

Before that, suffer through our itinerary. :D

After a few days in Fano (south of Rimini; see http://www.deliciousitaly.com/Marchetour3.htm), we go to an agriturismo near Vicenza. We've stayed there before; wonderful place: See http://www.levescovane.com/. We'll use that for a base for local travel in Veneto or, my preference, to nothing and just relax. Around 10 June, we'll find a place in the Dolomites to stay while we walk (Kathi keeps saying "hike," and I avoid that word, as it connotes more effort than I wish to exert! :-[ ). Feel free to suggest a B&B or the like. We have no druthers, and will probably run up to the area one day while staying Vicenza just to recon and find something generally between Bolzano and Cortina.

On the 15th, we head to Mandello, where we will meet Atlanta Guzzisti friends, Mike & Sue Craven (Cal II people). We have reserved Guzzis at Agostini's for Friday & Saturday (16-17 June). The Cravens are going to "do" Northern Italy, Switzerland, and Austria on the Guzzi. Kathi and I have a more modest route, i.e., just to ride in the area a bit (including, of course, visiting nearby Ballabio!) and go with Mike & Sue part of the way on their longer trip, but return Saturday afternoon to Mandello before, sigh, heading back to USA on Monday.

OK ... the reason I post this--besides the gloating, of course ;D--is to ask if anyone here might have suggestions as to routes (hard to go wrong, I suppose) or other matters, e.g., attire? Checked Weather Channel for the area (at least the lake, which is likely warmer than passes, etc. duh), see: http://snipurl.com/qwdi

We are taking leathers, etc., but the historical rain numbers looked higher than I like. But, as I said, above, "La guerra è inferno," tho possibly a wet one. Should we take rainsuits, too? Our luggage is already into the "Y'all going on a safari?" range. :o

Oh, yes, one last thing. Expect a pic or two when we get back. ;)

Bill :mg:

Hi Bill

I rode around that part of Europe in June 2 years ago and in terms of weather I would say be prepared for absolutely anything. We experienced very hot sunshine, torrential rain, thunderstorms and snow- sometimes all in the same day.

It was much warmer around Lake Como than it was up on the mountain passes as you would expect but it still rained, often in the afternoon.

We rode through the aftermath of a heavy snowfall on the Stelvio Pass and also sleet over the Timmelshoch pass. even then, it did not get as cold as winter but it was just a bit chilly.

It was lovely and warm in the Dolmites though and I am sure you will find the places further south very hot. I tend to wear breathable summer textiles but pack warm underclothes and waterproofs in case the weather turns.

I can definitely recommend the Stelvio pass- maybe best on a weekday when there is less traffic and cyclists and there are some nice passes near Lana which is not far from Merano.

I have a book called Motorcycle Journeys In The Alps And Corsica by an American guy called John Hermann which features many good routes- I love the passes and tend to avoid the big tunnels.

Have fun- I will be down there at the same time so we may bump into each other!

Regards

Guy :helmet:

The roads to the north of Mandello have less traffic as well as pointing you towards the Alps.

Heading south gets you into Milan's orbit and its accompanying traffic.

Heading east you get the wonderful Dolomites.

Bellagio is a picturesque village. From Mandello, it's probably best to take the ferry to Bellagio. The road along the lake is tight and twisty with few places to pass, even on a bike.

Edited to add: of course it goes without saying that the factory museum is a must see. It keeps odd hours. Something like 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM.