Installing my Garmin GPS...

KiloSjon

On my tours I really like to use my Garmin Quest.

quest2.jpg

Nice small device that gets me everywhere and provides good trackdata (see below for example a altitude / speed graph. Useless, but fun to make...)

questgraph.jpg

Anyways... Now I have the Le Mans, I want to install the Quest. My idea is to take the power from the headlight, that gives me the opportunity to leave the Quest on the bike without taking power and it doesn't require to put long wiring (just in the headlampunit).

My "farmersknowledge" (boerenverstand) tells me that 12V = 12V and that it is no problem to get some from the headlight. Any problems there?

KiloSjon

That graph- what scale was the altitude measured in? In the Netherlands I'm sure its 1:1. :D

I'm not sure about taking the feed from the headlight. I understand that the headlight doesn't put out its full power because of the way its wired in through the switch gear. When search comes back may be able to find it. But it may not be advisable to tap in there.

I'm sure someone with good knowledge will be along shortly.

Hi there!

I have a Garmin Quest on my Le Mans. At present I use the units battery power as it lasts so long, and just recharge it overnight.

But I have a power lead from the GPS warehouse, and when I get my Autocom properly set up I will also use this lead to provide audio to my helmet.

QPAC cable

Guy :helmet:

That graph- what scale was the altitude measured in? In the Netherlands I'm sure its 1:1.  :D

90467[/snapback]

It was a long weekend in Germany (Schwarzwald). Though there are some beautiful routes to take in the Netherlands, they are becoming rare: speedbumps, Gatso machines, and restrictions on riding on the Dikes (the only roads with beautiful cornering) drive us more in the direction of the Eifel, Ardennes, Luxembourg, Vosges... (where you can perform medium- to high-speed touring without the risk of loosing your license)....

uitzicht.jpg

Hi there!

I have a Garmin Quest on my Le Mans. At present I use the units battery power as it lasts so long, and just recharge it overnight.

But I have a power lead from the GPS warehouse, and when I get my Autocom properly set up I will also use this lead to provide audio to my helmet.

QPAC cable

Guy  :helmet:

90469[/snapback]

I have the moto mount from Garmin and a RAM kit. On my previous bike I just routed the wire to the Battery, but I'm hoping there is a more sophisticated way... Where did you put the RAM mount? On the handlebars or on the inside of the fairing?

KiloSjon

I have mounted it to my left clip on- I am happy with it there- does not snag or obscure anything, but still easy to read as you are riding.

Guy :helmet:

P.S. the B500 running south of Baden-Baden is an ace road in the Schwarzwald.

On my tours I really like to use my Garmin Quest.

quest2.jpg

Nice small device that gets me everywhere and provides good trackdata (see below for example a altitude / speed graph. Useless, but fun to make...)

questgraph.jpg

Anyways... Now I have the Le Mans, I want to install the Quest. My idea is to take the power from the headlight, that gives me the opportunity to leave the Quest on the bike without taking power and it doesn't require to put long wiring (just in the headlampunit).

My "farmersknowledge" (boerenverstand) tells me that 12V = 12V and that it is no problem to get some from the headlight. Any problems there?

KiloSjon

90465[/snapback]

No problem at all. I have a Garmin 2610 on my other bike and have it run to battery power so I can have it on with the key off, but the draw is so low (about .75 amp if I recall) you can attach it to almost any circuit without worry.

Related tip: Garmin stock is an excellent performer. :thumbsup:

No problem at all. I have a Garmin 2610 on my other bike and have it run to battery power so I can have it on with the key off, but the draw is so low (about .75 amp if I recall) you can attach it to almost any circuit without worry.

Related tip: Garmin stock is an excellent performer. :thumbsup:

90490[/snapback]

Ok, thx. I will post some pics when I installed it (just to complete this topic).

(BTW. You certainly have a dreamgarage... can't think of a bike you miss... Norton, Triumph, Guzzi, BMW... Perhaps a Harley WLA, but that's that... :):P: )

Guest golden goose

I have two BMW bikes that share the garage with the LeMans. Since BMW uses its own accessory power outlet, and since I have three powered "things" I use on the Beemers that I wanted to use on the Goose, I installed two BMW accessory power outlets on the Goose. One in the first hole of the left side passenger peg/muffler hanger girder, and the other in the flat part of the fairing under the right side of the handlebars. I made up a split power plug for the front and run the radar detector and GPS off of that, and the rear one is for the electric vest. I use a RAM mount on the front (taken off the idle and plugged rear-view mirror bolt hole on the throttle cluster) an extension arm and a 6-inch plate. The plate accommodates the "Avionics Suite", threat and navigation receivers (radar detector and GPS), and the arm and plate can be transferred to the bike I am going to ride with the loosening of the arm and unplugging of the BMW plug. Simple, modular, and very effective.

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch, bad joke!

General rule of thumb for GPS install is to use switched power if the GPS has an internal battery, and to take power directly from the battery for units with no internal battery.

Headlight juice fluctuates a bit, so isn't a good choice. Power requirements of most GPS units are so low that a direct connection will not be a problem.

I heard a tale at the weekend of somebody who crashed his bike after 3 miles of the Nurburgring.

When they were clearing up the mess they noticed his GPS was set to Nurnberg, a completely different place in Germany!

A common occurence apparently.

Guy :grin:

I heard a tale at the weekend of somebody who crashed his bike after 3 miles of the Nurburgring.

When they were clearing up the mess they noticed his GPS was set to Nurnberg, a completely different place in Germany!

A common occurence apparently.

Guy  :grin:

92755[/snapback]

Apparently, it happens everywhere.

Versailles

I kept looking for that big ol palace but only found a drive-up bank and a tastee-freeze.