air filter question

kevdog3019

Guest ratchethack

Kevin, the cleaning & oiling or replacement interval for the air filter is 6K miles.

You haven't given the year of your bike, so I'll suggest the procedure for mine. Later year bikes have quick-detatch fuel connectors that can be tricky..... <_<

The tank has to come off. It's fairly simple & straightforward. detatch the fuel hoses and disconnect the electrical connector under the left rear. The tank is slid rearward after removal of the single tank bolt under the front of the seat. The tank is then jockeyed up & off it's forward cushioned frame mount. Be careful of marking up your left side-cover with the electric petcock if still installed. If it IS still installed, be very careful of the fragile wires coming out of the bottom. They're quite easily damaged, so be careful of them and don't set the tank down on 'em. You can save scratches on the paint on the left side-cover by taping up the petcock before-hand. Don't forget to detatch the vent tubes which are seen at the top of the tank tunnel. You can see them when the rear of the tank is raised a few inches. Reach forward and pop them off their barbs. There is some risk of nicking the front of the tank on the triple-clamp unless you're careful. Best have a near-empty tank, it makes everything easier..... -_-

If you ask about what kind of aftermarket filter is "best", be prepared for a schiestkrieg, as the Harpies of Hades will no doubt descend upon your question..... It seems to be a matter of blind faith for many.... ;):whistle:

Go get 'em. Any questions, this here's the place to get y'er answers! :thumbsup:

Can someone post the part number for the K&N filter please. I need to get one, I have a friend that works at a auto parts store and can get me a good deal on the filter but he most likely doesn't have a motorcycle listing.

Can someone post the part number for the K&N filter please.  I need to get one, I have a friend that works at a auto parts store and can get me a good deal on the filter but he most likely doesn't have a motorcycle listing.

90582[/snapback]

Here is all the data I have on air filters.

FWIW

K&N are famous for letting in too much dirt, sand, etc.

BMC are alleged to filter out more contaminants.

But I'd bet the OEM paper filter filters out the most garbage.

Air Filters Airbox Replacements:

1. K&N - Old #MG-1093, New # 33-2682 (Automotive application that fits perfectly)

2. Amsoil Products 2 stage foam # S1938

3. BMC 164/01 The current FBF number for the BMC filter is F33705 $49.95US The airbox kit with filter is F45700 $79.95 The airbox kit, without filter(for those who already have a BMC or want paper or K&N) F45701 $32.95 The dimensions for the BMC filter are 134 x 224mm

Apparently the original filter crosses w/ Fiat part number "Fiat 4434868" so, you may be able to find other matches.  

Seperate Filters for those eliminating the airbox:  

For those keeping and modifying the intake tubes from between the airbox and the throttle bodies a 2-1/4 inch filter works well:

K&N RU-0600 round, non-tapered, straight flange flange: 2-1/4" (57mm) width: 3-1/2" (89mm) length: 4" (102mm)