Triple-tree removal??? and OFF they came!!!

gargoyle

Well I'm all set to install my new Convertabars. I've watched the CD, read the instructions. I get to the part "remove the triple-tree" and it won't come off. What am I missing here? :huh2: All bolts have been removed but it won't budge. This is really frustrating. I did a search and everybody during their install just say that they removed the triple-trees. Why won't mine come off? HELP!!! :luigi:

:bier: Well I finally got them installed. I'm hoping to go for a ride tomorrow or whenever these thunder boomers leave the area. I had enough of riding through orange radar blobs last week so I'll wait for clearer weather to try them out. I'm already liking what it feels like just sitting on her. Actually except for the triple-tree thing it was pretty straight forward install. My biggest decision was whether to drill or not to drill holes for the pins and I decided to remove the pins. It gave me a little more flexability on the install. Even with stock cables and a little rerouting it is definatlely more upright. If I were to go to longer clutch and brake lines I would get another 1.5" rise and 2" back. This should still make the trip to the Virginia rally much easier. :D

Guest ratchethack

Gargoyle, if you use several straight-blade screwdrivers carefully tapped into the slots of the clamps (it doesn't take much), this will spread the clamps just enough so it'll come right off. Done carefully, it won't even chip off the paint. :whistle:

:notworthy: Thank you very much!!! The triple screwdriver insert into slot tip worked instantly. :thumbsup: I don't know why I didn't think of that one. :homer: I had tried prying each one separately but that obviously didn't work. Well the install now continues. :D

:mg:

Gargoyle, if you use several straight-blade screwdrivers carefully tapped into the slots of the clamps (it doesn't take much), this will spread the clamps just enough so it'll come right off.  Done carefully, it won't even chip off the paint. :whistle:

90642[/snapback]

That method works, but if you aren't very careful you can damage the slots or scratch the paint. I use an alternate method - it works like this:

1. unscrew a pinchbolt

2. screw in a set-screw (so that it goes completely past the slot)

3. slide in a waser (with ID slightly greater than the allen key used to screw in the set-screw) into the slot

4. while holding the washer lined up with the bolt hole, insert the allen key again and gently unscrew the set-screw so that it spreads the clamp!

Hold the washer is a bit tricky - try attaching some tape to it, that will give you a handle to slide it in and out again with out losing it.