Kickstand wire

OldButNotDead

This is the second time I've broken one of these silly things in 9000mi. :angry: I find the wire cracked just in front of the rear eyelet.

Yes, I know it's easier to replace than the clutch return spring, but still, it doesn't seem like this is supposed to be a "consumable".

Am I the only dufus braking these? :huh2:

Guest ratchethack

OBND, could you be a little more specific about what it is y'er referring to?

Tx. -_-

Hi OBND, I assume you mean the wire loop on the sidestand to help kick it down. If so mine fell off last week, luckily I was parking outside the house and spotted it. Will have a go this evening to repair it, if I can be bothered to replace the mild steel mig wire with the stainless reel. Maybe ad a strengthener as this looks a weak design.

Cheers Gary :bier:

Hi OBND, I assume you mean the wire loop on the sidestand to help kick it down. If so mine fell off last week, luckily I was parking outside the house and spotted it. Will have a go this evening to repair it, if I can be bothered to replace the mild steel mig wire with the stainless reel. Maybe ad a strengthener as this looks a weak design.

Cheers Gary :bier:

90673[/snapback]

Yup, that's the bit. Wasn't clear on a repair and seemed like an annoying piece to try and make. Guess I'll just buy another. Maybe I'm not lubing the kickstand pivot enough :huh2:

Guest ratchethack

Oh, that wire. When mine let go last summer, I made a new one out of a scrap of T6.

Oh, that wire.  When mine let go last summer, I made a new one out of a scrap of T6.

90680[/snapback]

nice job :thumbsup:

Oh, that wire.  When mine let go last summer, I made a new one out of a scrap of T6.

90680[/snapback]

Yes, right smart. Thanks for posting the photo. I'm thinking you must have longer legs than me - I'm not sure I'd reach it. Maybe I'll cut out the photo and paste it onto the sidestand as a mockup to decide. I do feel silly buying another overpriced piece of italian coathanger.

Guest ratchethack
I'm thinking you must have longer legs than me - I'm not sure I'd reach it. 

It's a bit more of a stretch than it was before, but works like a Champ. Frankly, I'd forgotten all about it (the dain bramage again :blush: ), so it must've fit the bill....... :P

It's a bit more of a stretch than it was before, but works like a Champ.  Frankly, I'd forgotten all about it (the dain bramage again :blush: ), so it must've fit the bill....... :P

90686[/snapback]

and the scraping? I hate scraping. Does this piece stick out? Half the sidestand foot was lost before I took someone's advice and cut the rubber down.

dain bramage :drink:

Guest ratchethack
and the scraping?  I hate scraping.  Does this piece stick out?  Half the sidestand foot was lost before I took someone's advice and cut the rubber down.

dain bramage :drink:

No. Since I cut my rubber stop down, the foot of the stand hardly ever touches down (though it will when pushed hard enough), and the piece I fabbed hasn't ever. :thumbsup:

Yup, that's the bit.  Wasn't clear on a repair and seemed like an annoying piece to try and make.  Guess I'll just buy another.  Maybe I'm not lubing the kickstand pivot enough :huh2:

90678[/snapback]

My pivot had seized solid and was a real kick to get it to go fully up. Luckily I think I was using my heal against the foot not the wire to kick it back up against the rubberless stop. The whole bolt was turning in its threaded mount and only had the slack with the nylock nut to work with. Lubed it up a couple of days when I did the brake pedal pivot at the same time, that wasn't quite as bad but did prevent the pedal returning.