broken shock eye

wambiker

Hi all, I got hold of the replacement Ohlins shock this morning and fitted it this afternoon,after an initial setting up the shock is so different to the sachs I was amazed.

If any one has ball park settings for rebound and compression settings for the rear ohlins I would appreciate it. I have attached a couple of pictures off the broken shock for reference.shock2.jpgshock1.jpg

91337[/snapback]

I think you should consider fitting a hugger - it will keep your nice Ohlins shock in good condition and the rear of your engine/tranny clean. The stock hugger is a useless piece of junk (as you undoubtedly know since you have removed it). I was able to get a Pyramid Plastics CBR600 hugger that fits fairly well (with a foam block spacer to move it rearwards away from the swingarm pivot). You could do all of us a huge favour by going to Pyramid Plastics and getting your bike custom fitted with a proper hugger. I'm sure that a decent number of them could be sold via the forum. http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my springs were swapped, my "choke" is super hard to turn and the seat latch is super easy  :huh2:

91422[/snapback]

The lighter spring should be on the "choke" and the heavier spring on the seat latch.

The problem with the heavier spring on the choke is that the choke does not stay open.

Should take less than ten minutes to swap.

PS Chris, do you have photos of that hugger?

... I was able to get a Pyramid Plastics CBR600 hugger that fits fairly well (with a foam block spacer to move it rearwards away from the swingarm pivot).  You could do all of us a huge favour by going to Pyramid Plastics and getting your bike custom fitted with a proper hugger.  I'm sure that a decent number of them could be sold via the forum.  http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk

91469[/snapback]

I was wondering about this very thing. Did you get the £60 one, or which?

Guest ratchethack
I think you should consider fitting a hugger - it will keep your nice Ohlins shock in good condition and the rear of your engine/tranny clean.  The stock hugger is a useless piece of junk (as you undoubtedly know since you have removed it).  I was able to get a Pyramid Plastics CBR600 hugger that fits fairly well (with a foam block spacer to move it rearwards away from the swingarm pivot). 

Just a reminder that there's a perfectly serviceable BODGE ALTERNATIVE that works with the stock hugger.

The Bodge Guard has kept everything clean & has worked like a Champ since I installed it. Yeah, I know it's ugly enough to turn a train down a gravel road <_< . But keep in mind that unless the rear wheel's off, you have to turn y'erself upside down with y'er head shoved up close & personal-like to tell there's anything in there. -_-

See post #3 with photo at the thread here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...threaded&show=&

I'll check the details tonight and post them.

Just a reminder that there's a perfectly serviceable BODGE ALTERNATIVE that works with the stock hugger.

The Bodge Guard has kept everything clean & has worked like a Champ since I installed it.  Yeah, I know it's ugly enough to turn a train down a gravel road <_ . but keep in mind that unless the rear wheel off you have to turn y upside down with head shoved up close personal-like tell there anything there.>

I had a similar bodged guard, but a properly fitted hugger is more effective because it is closer to the tire and has some coverage around the sides of the tire. I'll try to post some pics of what I've installed.

Just checked my shock and it is also cracked due to the corrosion !! :angry:

I'm really glad I read this post as I am going to France in 6 weeks and you just know it would have failed in the middle of nowhere, with neither of us speaking French that would have been fun :not: (assuming it hadn't put us under a passing Citroen that is !!!)

Can anyone recommend the best course of action, is the Hagon shock ok or am I better getting a more expensive replacement ?

( I assume Sachs don't do repairs ?)

Sachs!! :vomit:

Just went through mine again.

Had to rejuice it last year. Luckily it held for 15,000 mi or so.

Decided to give it a whirl myself this time. It went surprisingly

well. If I can get away with cleaning and refilling it once a year

I'll hold onto it. Getting pretty fast at hauling it out and putting it

back in. Checked and greassed up the fish eye's. So far so good.

Leaving for a week on the road next week.

:bike::bike:

Shockeye.jpg

Shockdrain.jpg

Shockgrease.jpg

91473[/snapback]

I got the one to fit a CBR600 99-03, in black ABS. I'll post photos this weekend.

Just checked my shock and it is also cracked due to the corrosion !! :angry:

I'm really glad I read this post as I am going to France in 6 weeks and you just know it would have failed in the middle of nowhere, with neither of us speaking French that would have been fun  :not:  (assuming it hadn't put us under a passing Citroen that is !!!)

Can anyone recommend the best course of action, is the Hagon shock ok or am I better getting a more expensive replacement ?

( I assume Sachs don't do repairs ?)

91494[/snapback]

I think that you would do well with Hagon - particularly since they can tailor it to your riding weight. It will certainly be much better than the stock Sachs shock. The more expensive shocks with remote hydraulic preload adjustment are very nice, but you will have to check pricing and decide for yourself.

91494[/snapback]

I suspect the Hagon is OK...but I suspect the Ohlins is better.

The Ohlins maximizes available travel and has excellent damping.

It could offer better adjustability.

The Maxton. Wilbers, HyperPro, Penskes, and others offer better adjustability, but travel may be lost.

Here is a thread that discusses some of the options

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...opic=5488&st=15

Here is Big J's write up on the Maxton

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5631&hl=

Here is Chris Beauchemin's write up on the Wilbers

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...topic=5898&st=0

that's an interesting picture, I suppose you cleanes it before the picture, do you have a picture of the things you took out? I suppose the ring inside the alu outside was heavily corroded?

91688[/snapback]

yes thats after I cleaned it.I haven't got a photo of the other part but it is basically a bearing,I easily pressed it out using too sockets and a vice (the split probably helped ! )it wasn't as badly corroded as I expected and cleaned up easily(the internal "fish eye" part still moves freely and seems corrosion free). It looks like the joint part is pressed into the alloy and the corrosion that will occur when water (and in the UK salt) gets in just weakens and stresses the alloy until it fails.

As others have said, keep it greased / shield it from the spray off the back wheel (who at MG thought that hugger was ok ? :stupid: )and it should last...maybe.

Now all I have to do is work out how to take the play out of the bevel box pinion, replace the right side bearing :stupid: and when I get the new shock, put it back together again!! :luigi:

Man...those cracks are depressing.

Guzzi should replace the shock.

At the risk of being redundant:

I have a 94 900SS Ducati,

They have a flaw of frame cracking where the VIN Label

was riveted on. On the Ducati thead I monitor, Ducati has

replaced 100% of them. !!! (mine, fortunately, not being one of them...yet!)

I'm talkin' 1994...not 200?...and the whole frame, not just a shock.

Admirable, to say the least.

91697[/snapback]

Very true, its only because I read this forum that I checked mine out :notworthy: How many people out there are riding around with this problem totally unaware?

Someone will Die or be injured due to this fault, its just a matter of time :!: In July I am going to the Trofeo Rosso in France with pillion and luggage, its so lucky that I checked when I did.

We need to keep this post going so that everybody knows to check !!

91697[/snapback]

that just about secures it for me, I really really want a 999 if the company is that good, plus my fav dealer sells them. :grin: