Duffy Lake

Yesterday a few of us got the idea to ride the Duffy Lake road today.

Well, ride we did!

Four of us (friskycutter, Cory, Vivian and I) left Chilliwack at 0600 and headed to North Vancouver to meet Bill (on his Ducati). I rode my Ducati as well but the other 3 were on Guzzi's.

Lots of traffic and lots of 20km/hr before we got through Vancouver. Weather was a little cool but to be expected early in the morning. Van to Squamish was OK for traffic but lots of construction. Squamish to Whistler was no better and frisky had a little drama when a road grader chucked a rock out in front of him and it caught his front tire then came up and broke off his side stand - broken casting!

kickstand01medium0pv.jpg

Past Whistler the traffic was very light and the weather was good but still a little cool. When we got past Mt Currie there was actually more traffic - lots of Alberta licence plates and quite a few motorhomes. No real challenge though and the first set of switchbacks were consumed and enjoyed immensely!! The weather was getting warmer and the scenery was great!

duffy03medium1nm.jpg

I have to say that the pavement on the first half past Mt Currie was - well, ummmh - more intact than I have ever seen it. Lots of dips, bumps, cracks (sealed) and everything else you could ever want to test your suspension but there were no open potholes or stretches of crumbling pavement. There were no corners with loose gravel nor was any to be found on the straightaways!! I have to say it was the most enjoyable ride I have ever had on this road!!!

The weather warmed up considerably by the time we got to Lillooet and it stayed warm all the way to Lytton and down the canyon to Hope where it quite suddenly turned cool again. No matter as we were in Revenue Collecting Motorised Patrol country (RCMP). We were fortunate in not having any encounters with them at all!!

Frisky had to get creative in finding ways to keep his bike upright when we stopped without scratching the paint on his bike (no sidestand!!). I wonder if he deserves a bodge point for this one?

kickstand08medium5ad.jpg

We stopped in Hope on the way back just as one of the helicopters I fly was coming in to land. We decided to go for the group foto of the wop bikes beside the machine with the biggest wops!!

tw5medium7bm.jpg

We all came to the consensus that next time we will start from Chilliwack and go east and up the Fraser canyon then start the Duffy Lake road at Lillooet and ride to Mt Currie then turn around and ride back. Enough of the Vancouver traffic and Sea to Sky construction!! Perhaps we'll mix in the road from Spences Bridge to Merritt and then on to Princeton and then back to Hope.

All in all it was a good day!!

squamish04medium0ws.jpg

Guest Nogbad

Yes. I think for sheer ingenuity in the face of adversity I have to award the Golden Bodge Point.

Hey Jim, me and a buddy were on the same loop yesterday! We should let eachother know next time!DuffyLakeRoad.jpg

The scenery was great, the motorhomes were slooooow! We got around them in a hurry! :bike:

Duffy_Lake.jpg

We stopped to have a look at Brandyvine Falls, it is something to see!Brandyvinefalls.jpg

Here is my ugly mug!Zoltan_falls.jpg

We had dinner in Lillooet and ran into a couple of railroaders (just like us) and had a good chat over dinner. :bier:GuzziBMW.jpg

We left at 9 o'clock in the morning from Abbotsford and got back around 9 o'clock at night, we made a lot of stops since it was the first time we rode the loop. We went the same route you took, the construction on the Sea to Sky really sucks. It slowed us down, the road surface around Duffy Lake is terrible, just like you said. My friend hit a pothole on his BMW so hard that he bottomed the suspension front and back, he was leading the charge at that point and I saw him hit it and it lifted him out of the saddle. I adjusted my line but I hit the hole right next to the one he hit! :angry: No other drama to report.

Take one Guzzi (or as many as you can get together) take 600 km loop, take the most beautiful country side on earth and a sunny day, that is what the Doctor ordered! :thumbsup:

Guest Nogbad
I'll let him know.

Here's the closeup!

kickstand07medium1gx.jpg

91479[/snapback]

Yes, the sheer precariousness of the bottle wedged on the smooth, round fork leg and the brittleness of the bottle itself screams bodge at the top of its voice. A breath of wind or the vibration of a passing truck and the plug top or worse the tank could have bought the farm.

If you need a copy of the file I can send you one, or get a copy properly resized from DeBen who owns one. And introduce this bodger to the forum!

AHH, Duffy lake rd. :race::race:

a bunch of guys on good bikes = lotsa fun !!!! :thumbsup:

my son and l do that loop once a year rain or shine, its fun, the sea to sky hwy. sucks though.

all these fine :helmet: pasta burners going to be at the ltalian day at Lonsdale Quay on the 18th ???

:bier:

Cheers

Van

AHH, Duffy lake rd.  :race:  :race:

a bunch of guys on good bikes = lotsa fun !!!! :thumbsup:

my son and l do that loop once a year rain or shine, its fun,  the sea to sky hwy. sucks though.

all these fine  :helmet:  pasta burners going to be at the ltalian day at Lonsdale Quay on the 18th ???

Cheers

Van

91493[/snapback]

Yeah, I'll be there. Does that mean we have to wash the bikes? :wacko:

My friend said you have to bring a blanket. I said what for? So you can lay it down on the ground incase you have to ride over a puddle. :vomit: I said you have us Guzzi guys confused with the Ducati Girls! :mg:

Yeah, I'll be there.  Does that mean we have to wash the bikes? :wacko:

My friend said you have to bring a blanket.  I said what for?  So you can lay it down on the ground incase you have to ride over a puddle. :vomit:  I said you have us Guzzi guys confused with the Ducati Girls! :mg:

91496[/snapback]

Right on !!! :mg: rule !!

Cheers

Van

Right on !!!  :mg:  rule !!

Cheers

Van

91547[/snapback]

Hey Van do you get the feeling that the other guys don't want to talk to us regarding the show in North Van? You keep asking(previous posts) if all the V11 guys from the Fraser Valley area are going to be there but I seem to be the only one answering. :(

Hey Van do you get the feeling that the other guys don't want to talk to us regarding the show in North Van?  You keep asking(previous posts) if all the V11 guys from the Fraser Valley area are going to be there but I seem to be the only one answering. :(

91589[/snapback]

I was going to go but my shift schedule has changed so it looks a bit iffy. i wanted to bring the MGS and the centauro. Oh and maybe the Monster and the v11 too but the SFC isn't ready yet.

Zoltan. I'll try and PM you next time I plan a ride!!

I was going to go but my shift schedule has changed so it looks a bit iffy. i wanted to bring the MGS and the centauro. Oh and maybe the Monster and the v11 too but the SFC isn't ready yet.

Zoltan. I'll try and PM you next time I plan a ride!!

91595[/snapback]

Sounds good Jim, it would be great to go for a ride with a bunch of Guzzi guys! Hey I would really love to see that MGS, I've only seen one online but not in the flesh. It's too bad you can't make it to the Italian show. Work always gets in the way of fun, I had to plan ahead and book two days vacation just so I can get the weekend off. My regular days off are Wednesday and Thursday, great aren't they. :not:

PM me for sure if you want to go for a burn! :mg:

I guess the moral of my story is.... IMGP0578.JPG........ sometimes they mean it, PAY ATTENTION. For your information this part .........IMGP0559.JPG..... costs $310can. In order to fund my repairs , in an excusive offer on this site only I am offering custom kickstands for $20 eachIMGP0563.JPG