Norge presentation...

KiloSjon

Guest Macio
I am happy to see anything new from MG, and it looks like a good bike that many in the Sport Touring community would love  :thumbsup:

It's not my cup of tea... engine all covered up and all... but it seems like a nice bike.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though, it looks just waaaaay like an FJR.

Al

93643[/snapback]

Last week I had the chance for a short ride test on one of the very firts Norge (base version, model T, without bags) and I'm agree with you altough it's not my cup of tea too.

The right bike for touring and sport touring riders; total protection from the wind, very good engine, the ABS works and a surprising good handling around the corners.

:2c:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My local dealer has 3 Norges in his showroom including a demonstrator. So far none have been sold. When the Breva 1100 was launched punters were queuing at the door, and he was selling them as fast as he was getting them.

Its early days yet and I hope it does well for MG's sake, but I think they may have overpriced it in the UK.

Guy :helmet:

P.S. Nice 2006 Coppa Italia with low mileage on Biketrader for £5699 with titanium cans.

Someone's ot to be pedantic, here, so it may as well be me:

1) The Norge is a two-valver, like the other V11s.

Yeahbut: I think the "four valve motor" comment in the Telegraph article was coming from someone who normally reports on cars, ie: "A 24v V-6 Acura" [which equates to "4v per cyl," which is the much more pertinent method of reportage common to the motorycling press...]

So, the "4 valve V-twin" reduces to 2v/cyl & Bob's yer uncle!

;)

Mr. Pedant

Guest cduzzi

I'm 54 yrs old and really like the Norge. I expect I'll trade in my '04 Cali EV Tour for one. I love the 'Cali but not the small tank when Im doing distance rides. I recently rode to Colorado from Texas with a buddy and we had to stop for gas far too often due to my 150 mile range. So the short range on the Cali is one thing they are fixing with the Norge.

I don't particularly like the name but Guzzi is getting it's act together on so many other fronts that maybe goofy names are all that will be left to distinguish us from the Japanese and HD riding masses in the US. The name does remind me of European home appliances from my youth. Oh well.

Besides the name, the next immediate reaction was 'it's a BMW RT built on the other side of the Alps!'. There's nothing wrong with that in my mind. Probably a logical thing since the market for this bike will be those who would go for the RT, Honda's ST, Triumph Sprint,etc. I like the upgrades like ABS but not sure about GPS. My Beemer buddy just bought TomTom and likes it, so maybe Guzzi made the right choice. I also like the headlights and it seems Guzzi is making statements about appealing to more sophisticated riders in the US at least and not the traditional California riders in this country.

Under Piaggio's leadership, the are making statements with their new series bikes. They are catching notice and positive reviews in various bike magazines. Even Motorcycle Consumer News, accepting no advertising fees, had some pretty good things to say about the 1100 Breva. Guzzi will always be a small player, but better marketing research is bringing on these new products aimed at particular segments that others aren't perhaps hitting as well. The down side is we'll lose bikes like the V11 Lemans series which is a real shame. But it looks like Piaggio wants the sport bike market go to the Aprilia side.

Dealer network and parts has to come up to speed as well. I think it will and we'll still have Guzzi for many yrs to come. Meanwhile, i'm still on the fence for my 2nd bike: V11 or Centauro?

Guest cduzzi

Very interesting read from the Telegraph. I laughed when he mentioned the clanking from the clutch. We all know it's in fact from the straight cut gears of the gearbox which are rattling against each other at idle, a result of the newer Guzzi engine's light flywheel, resulting in the very quick acceleration/deceleration of the engine at idle. Oh well, some things never change.

Further thoughts on this layout had me thinking about the vibration damage issues this new model may suffer. 1150cc, 4 valves, 95 hp, etc, has me thinking that more than ever Guzzi may be replacing cracked plastic panels under warranty. I'm hoping engineers have isolated either engine from frame, or plastic from metal properly. There is alot of square footage of plastic compared to a V11, or even a Lemans. I still remember the day I had my V11 starter cover plastic break in half and hit an oncoming car, vibration induces failure, replaced under warranty. This kind of problem if left ignored, will do little restore Moto Guzzi's financial picture.

Ciao, Steve G.