Lash on worm and pinion?

Martin Barrett

With all due respect -- Correction, please!  A correctly set-up bevel drive on the V-11 is set to ZERO lash.  Properly adjusted, any detectable overall driveline lash is measured by the gap between shift dogs and their slots in the sliding muffs in the trans.  This can be seen and measured directly by putting the bike in gear and rolling the bike forward and backward.  The amount of movement will depend on what gear it's in.

If you've got any slop whatsoever between the pinion and crownwheel, you've got BIG problems and the box needs to be shimmed immediately, or you'll lunch the gearset! :homer:

91899[/snapback]

You are right but Martin has been describing lash measured from the periphery of the wheel to the engine side of the UJ. Normally, there will be cumulative lash from the splined joints and any cush drive in there and, un-normally, from wear in those and the pinion/crownwheel and UJ. 1cm seems like a reasonable measurement for a total. He just needed to check that it wasn't mostly coming from one place in that chain.

_Total_ driveline lash would have to be measured between the periphery of the wheel and the nose of the crank, to take in any play in the clutch splines. There are so many factors in there, though, that I doubt it would be a useful measurement.

m

Update:

Left bearing had collapsed. Measured up spacer and was coming up at 112.8. Putting it into the wheel seemed to be definatly shorter than the gap between the bearing seats. Couldn't measure that as calipers were too big.

Use the other end of the calipers, where the thin bit come out. Put a plate over the far end hole, where the bearing sits. Open the calipers until the spike hits it and then put the base on the bearing seat of the other end. Read the caliper normally. You just need to make sure that all is square when you are making the reading, as there can be significant differences once you get to larger sizes.

mike

You are right but Martin has been describing lash measured from the periphery of the wheel to the engine side of the UJ.  Normally, there will be cumulative lash from the splined joints and any cush drive in there and, un-normally, from wear in those and the pinion/crownwheel and UJ.  1cm seems like a reasonable measurement for a total.  He just needed to check that it wasn't mostly coming from one place in that chain.

_Total_ driveline lash would have to be measured between the periphery of the wheel and the nose of the crank, to take in any play in the clutch splines.  There are so many factors in there, though, that I doubt it would be a useful measurement.

m

91984[/snapback]

Thanks Mike, that's what I was hoping, the cush rubbers etcetera. I was in panic mode. I forgot that free play was there when I adjusted the tappets using the wheel to turn the engine. I now gently use a screwdriver on the flywheel teeth as more controlled. The balance pipe is in the way to get my alternator cover off and I don't wont to disturb it unnecessarily given my history with it.

Looking back at that old post isn't it ironic? I never thought I'd buy a *new* motorbike, never mind a new Guzzi, and now here I am absolutely besotted with my Griso.

One of the great things about being an irrascible old fart is that even when you've been shown to be a complete hypocrite you really don't give a toss :grin::grin::grin:

Pete

Thanks Mike, that's what I was hoping, the cush rubbers etcetera. I was in panic mode. I forgot that free play was there when I adjusted the tappets using the wheel to turn the engine. I now gently use a screwdriver on the flywheel teeth as more controlled. The balance pipe is in the way to get my alternator cover off and I don't wont to disturb it unnecessarily given my history with it.

91989[/snapback]

If everything is in good condition, most driveline lash (much more than 1cm) is due to the play in the dogs in the gearbox. This play is designed to be there and is essential for smooth, easy gearchanging. What you are seeing is the accumulated lash between the wheel and drive box, the drive box and drive shaft and the drive shaft and UJ. On the small blocks the UJ is part of the drive shaft, so one point of lash is removed.

m