Touring on a '03 Lemans

bridgepress

I'm planning a 2,500 mile trip in a couple weeks, up to the Gaspe Peninsula (and back), and I'm not likely to be in proximity of mechanical help. I'd like to prepare for what might go wrong mechanically, so what should I bring? I have not done the shifter pawl spring--is this a potential problem with the 2003 (7,000 miles on the clock)? Should I do it now? What else should I prepare for? I just did valves, motor oil, throttle balance, transmission and final drive oils, etc.

Thanks,

Brian :helmet:

I took a selection of box/open end wrenches (10, 12, 13), a set of allens (ball ends are great), a multi-tip screwdriver and two crescent wrenches, a set of needle-nose pliers, an adjustable (plumbers) pliers, some tape and a little multimeter. If you plan to change the oil while you're travelling, you'll need something for that. Anything requiring more serious tools would probably require a tow or a real shop anyhow.

If you're really worried about the spring (I wouldn't be), then grind the correct allen (a 6???) down a bit so it fits between the transmission and the frame- I don't remember who originally posted this tidbit, but it has stuck in my head.

Then-

aspirin

cellphone

visa card

And you're set. Have fun!

you certainly won't need any of this stuff if you bring it, but you'll probably need something you looked at but didn't bring. That's how it works with me, anyhow.

Guest Nogbad

If the bike is sorted and has no history of letting you down, I would manage with the OEM tools, and would only add a tyre plugging kit.

These are not flaky old classics that require a full Snap-On suite following in a van for Christ's sake.

I allways bring with( except the bike's tools) all necessary allen keys for the bike a couple of spark plug pipes, back& front light, double side duct tape, a strong duct tape.an extra chip (well mine is with the changable chips) and a couple of other fit-on wrenches sises of 10,12,14,17.

Cellphone and PDA with GPS are also essencial as well as a premade address list with guzzi shops at the area(s) I visit.

Get a AAA membership with the added option of motorcycle tow and free maps everywhere, a good tire repair kit, made for tubeless tires of course, extra earplugs, mini first aid kit, credit cards, cash, camelback for hydration, set of spark plugs, spare tail light bulb and headlight bulb.

You can spoil yourself as I have and get a GPS, tank bag, and a mini compressor [you can get them very small these days].

Ciao, Steve G.

The only thing that I'd add to the other suggestions below is maybe bring an extra plug cap in addition to extra plugs. I guess the plug caps can break along with the plug if you have a tip-over.

If you have a stock seat and stock bars I'd also bring Ibuprofen or your favorite pain reliever. I spent 6 or 7 hours on my LeMans last Friday and my butt and shoulders were killing me by the end of the day.

I'd bring along a hand gun - preferably in .45ACP caliber. :2c:

92695[/snapback]

Yup, bring that .45 along with you to the border crossing, and guess what? You get a free hotel accomodation at the local police station.

Ciao, Steve G.