Thank Guzzi for Shaft Drive

Guest ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

Summer’s here Gents! It’s gettin’ HOT here in Southern California. :sun:

OK, I’ve whinged on about the Guzzi’s overweight, aft-biased chassis, short swingarm, and the unsprung “boat anchor” bevel drive ad nauseum.

But today, I’m more pleased than ever about the “match” of the Guzzi to my needs.

Yes, I realize that y’er more’n likely just a-dyin’ to know what brought THIS on? :not:

Y'see, it's like this. I just changed the chain and rear sprocket on the Yammerhammer XT600E thumper. . . . . No, it sure ain’t anything like this is the first time I’ve done this! I reckon I’ve done it literally dozens of times over the last 40 years on a dozen bikes – and I’ve probably sworn off ever doing it again at least half that many times. <_<

As a dedicated life-long 100% do-it-y’erself maintenance Guy–turned–Road Geez in recent years – (the RG Thing sorta seems to’ve come along with the Guzzi -_- ), I finally broke down and gave up changing my own tires when I found a Pro who could do it in a tiny fraction of the time it used to take me – without marking up the wheels. But I’m still doing just about everything else – including new chains & sprockets on the thumper.

Today, with the thermometer approaching 90 degrees F, the constant stinging irritation of sweat seeping down into my eyes, and the always impeccably-serviced Guzzi parked right next to me in my home workshop as I fiddled and futzed, I cut the new X-ring DID chain ($137 USD) to length on my bench grinder. Then came the prying, pounding, punching, twisting, and yanking the cut link off the new chain. How soon we forget WHAT A FRICKIN’ CHORE THIS IS!?!?

THEN began the odyssey of peening the new rivet-master on the new DID X-ring chain – with a punch – (nope - still no chainbreaker tool in the shop - not at $90 USD!). O' course, this has to be done horizontally -- that is, sideways on the floor against my small anvil on it’s side, which has to be boarded-up with a stack o’ blocks against the foundation of the workshop to keep it from walking away with each swing of the hammer - - <_<

As I wrestled the chain over the new sprocket ($28 USD), it occurred to me that I could’ve had the Guzzi’s driveshaft lubed, TBs balanced, AND valves adjusted in less than half the time - and $0 cost. :homer:

Then there’s the thought of all the periodic chain adjustment and wheel alignment, lubing & cleaning the chain, the rubber gloves and the lovely smell of kerosene (kinda got so’s I like it, actually) and the seemingly constant new heaps of filthy shop rags, etc. . . . .

The high personal cost of Hands-on Quality Control looms large lately, Gents. . . . -_-

Yep, even Pete’s “favorite” 2-wheeled Black Forest Boulevard Boats (“Oh look – a herd of pigs!” :grin: ) have significant advantages over chain-drive. But as Rumpole of the Old Bailey would’ve said, “Heaven forefend!” That’ll NEVER happen here!

I reckon I’ll be riding the Guzzi long, long after the thumper’s dead & gone. . . for one more of lots of very good reasons. By far & away, it's the lowest maintenance & easiest to service bike I've ever had. :mg:

Time to hit the shower & go find that perfect Summer IPA . . . . . . :bier:

. . . I reckon I’ll be riding the Guzzi long, long after the thumper’s dead & gone. . . for one more of lots of very good reasons.  By far & away, it's the lowest maintenance & easiest to service bike I've ever had. :mg:

Time to hit the shower & go find that perfect Summer IPA . . . . . . :bier:

92983[/snapback]

Yep. The Guzzi is a keeper for shore! :drink:

Hey Ratch, you can buy a chain breaker at Lowes for less than $30 (look in the drawers in the hardware department). From my experience you don't need to peen a master link on an x-ring chain most are press fit. I use a mini chain press tool by Motion Pro, works on 520 and 530 chains. These are available at most any mc shop for under $15. Sounds to me like your working to hard, these tools really make the job a lot faster and doesn't take nearly as much elbow grease.

I agree, the shaft drive has its advantages... chicks dig it!

Guest ratchethack

Thanks, Josh. I'm sure I'm working too hard <_< , but for $15 for a standard grade press that doesn't get commercial use, sounds like I oughtta check it out. I'm familiar with older-style chain breakers. The ones I've looked at for $90 are probably commercial grade. The X-ring DID chain master links definitely need to be either peened or swaged in a press. Does your Motion Pro press both break the new over-length chain and swage the hollow-end rivet pins in the master link? :huh2:

Until this X-ring chain, I've used O-ring or standard chains with clip-type master links. People turn their noses up at these today, but I never had a single problem with one. I always used to carry a spare & never used one on the road. :huh2:

Back in 1984 I tightened up my chain and prepped my Honda 500 four up for a little tour from san diego california to eugene oregon... I made it as far as Roseburg when the chain derailed and cracked the crankcase.....never again! I swore!!!! four months later I bought a V65 :grin:

Or you could buy a length of chain to fit? I know it's crazy, but that's what I do for my KLR650.

I guess I have a slightly different approach toward the two motorcycles- I adjust and maintain my Guzzi, as it likes that kind of thing. The KLR? I ride it hard and put it away wet. I can barely tell what color it is under the mud. Occassionally, I put some regular spray oil on the chain...adjust it if I have to. I figure the time I save not maintaining it pays for the new sprockets I have to buy.

In short, it's disposable. Hmmm, maybe I do agree with you after all....

Thanks, Josh.  I'm sure I'm working too hard <_ but for a standard grade press that doesn get commercial use sounds like i oughtta check it out. familiar with older-style chain breakers. the ones looked at are probably grade. x-ring did master links definitely need to be either peened or swaged in press. does your motion pro both break new over-length and swage hollow-end rivet pins link src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_knownothing.gif" alt=":huh2:">

Until this X-ring chain, I've used O-ring or standard chains with clip-type master links.  People turn their noses up at these today, but I never had a single problem with one.  I always used to carry a spare & never used one on the road. :huh2:

92989[/snapback]

My chain press only presses on the side plate(never use vice grips), I use a chain breaker to do the breaking. The RK X-ring chains I've been using still use a clip.

I see what your saying about the peening of the master link. These types of chains are known as endless riveted chains, usually used in high horsepower applications. They do make a special tool (expensive) for the peening of these high strength master links, however your thumper doesn't need this style of chain because it doesn't produce enough horsepower to warrant such a strong master link. Simply put, you bought to much chain!

Usually the way you tell if you're machine needs this type of chain is the OE chain will be an endless riveted chain(no visible master link).

I'm surprised your chain isn't damaged, I hope you checked for binding.

Oh my, I believe you are on the wrong forum... :o

Never say never!

93060[/snapback]

I am not into chains and pain either. I think they are for posers and freaks who were abused as children,.

Besides you can have so much more fun with belts and shafts, who needs chains :huh2:

Nog, you do wear leather and use other protection, right?

I prefer shaft drive but chains these days are nowhere as bad as they used to be.

The chain on my old 900SS only needed adjusting every few months even with constant use and I do Helen's R6 about once a year, although admittedly it does not get that much use.

The main ball ache is the mess from all the lube flung off onto your wheel and chain guard.

Guy :helmet:

The main ball ache is the mess from all the lube flung off onto your wheel and chain guard.

Guy  :helmet:

93338[/snapback]

That really gets me too, and spoils the whole motorcycle experiance with a dirty bike :D

I used a scottoiler on my FJ1200, did wonders for the chain and also ensured my white Krauser K2 paniers would also never rust.