Thank Guzzi for Shaft Drive

Guest ratchethack

That really gets me too, and spoils the whole motorcycle experiance with a dirty bike  :D

I used a scottoiler on my FJ1200, did wonders for the chain and also ensured my white Krauser K2 paniers would also never rust.

93354[/snapback]

Enclosed chain. Best of both worlds - high percentage power transmission, highly reduced servicing, a la shaft. Better than both, it's by far the cheapest way to drive a bike.

m

Guest Nogbad
Enclosed chain.  Best of both worlds - high percentage power transmission, highly reduced servicing, a la shaft.  Better than both, it's by far the cheapest way to drive a bike.

m

93486[/snapback]

That'll be an MZ 250 for you then Sir. Step this way, we have several in the garden. I'll just scrape the moss off, stick a fresh battery in and you can take her for a spin.

That'll be an MZ 250 for you then Sir. Step this way, we have several in the garden. I'll just scrape the moss off, stick a fresh battery in and you can take her for a spin.

93491[/snapback]

No thanks, I've just put one out. Well, four actually. And another two in the garage attic. Time to go and fug up the neighbourhood some more....

m

Guest Nogbad
No thanks, I've just put one out.  Well, four actually.  And another two in the garage attic.  Time to go and fug up the neighbourhood some more....

m

93496[/snapback]

I wish I'd never got rid of mine. Cost me 70 quid in 1988 and I only got rid of it in 2003. Got 85 quid. No idea what the mileage was but I only rebored it twice. The odo never worked properly. Frighteningly useless front brake.......

I wish I'd never got rid of mine. Cost me 70 quid in 1988 and I only got rid of it in 2003. Got 85 quid. No idea what the mileage was but I only rebored it twice. The odo never worked properly. Frighteningly useless front brake.......

93510[/snapback]

cost you 85quid to get rid of it? :lol: I don't understand english money is that like 5 dollars? :huh2::lol:

Just been reading the handbook which came with my Ducati for instructions as to how to adjust the chain. It is my first bike with a single sided swinging arm so I thought I should check.

The answer? If your chain is slack, take it to your nearest Ducati dealer for them to adjust it!!

Will I heck! Have worked out how to do it- just need a tool from Ducati which costs £15.

Guy :helmet:

Guest ratchethack
I'm surprised your chain isn't damaged, I hope you checked for binding.

Eh? :huh2:

How so? No binding and it's been working like a Champ. . . . . :thumbsup:

I wasn't a Neanderthal with my hammer - I assure you it was properly peened!!! :thumbsup:

Are you saying that there's something WRONG with using an X-ring chain with a rivet-type masterlink on a big single?!?!?! Please do advise.

(I'm not worried in the slightest but my curiosity is killing me, you see. . . . :whistle: )

Guest Nogbad

You may notice I posted earlier that I would never buy another chain driven bike.

Please note that the chain on the Stornello is an illusion. It doesn't really exist in this dimension at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh? :huh2:

How so? No binding and it's been working like a Champ. . . . . :thumbsup:

I wasn't a Neanderthal with my hammer - I assure you it was properly peened!!! :thumbsup:

Are you saying that there's something WRONG with using an X-ring chain with a rivet-type masterlink on a big single?!?!?! Please do advise.

(I'm not worried in the slightest but my curiosity is killing me, you see. . . . :whistle: )

Hey Ratch,

Sorry for the delayed response.

No, nothing wrong with using this type of chain on your thumper. I was just saying, you could have saved some cash and without all the frustration (but you already figured this out). Your thumper doesn't produce enough HP's to warant such a strong chain(rivet-type). X-ring chains are excellent and supposedly don't rob as much HP's as a standard o-ring chain. I use them on my vintage dirt bikes but I use the ones with a press on side plate and a clip. With proper installation and maintenance I've never seen one of these master links fail.

Guest ratchethack

Hey Ratch,

Sorry for the delayed response.

No, nothing wrong with using this type of chain on your thumper. I was just saying, you could have saved some cash and without all the frustration (but you already figured this out). Your thumper doesn't produce enough HP's to warant such a strong chain(rivet-type). X-ring chains are excellent and supposedly don't rob as much HP's as a standard o-ring chain. I use them on my vintage dirt bikes but I use the ones with a press on side plate and a clip. With proper installation and maintenance I've never seen one of these master links fail.

Josh, I've never seen a clip-type master link fail, either. And I've worn out a formidable heap of chain held together by ones that've been recycled far far far far beyond any reasonable operating lifetime. . . . . :o

Most of that was in my earlier years, when I was even more foolhardy and peniless than I am today. . . . . :blush:

Yeah, I've been well aware of the "overkill" thing WRT an X-ring chain in this application. IMHO, saving some cash here may well be one of those "penny wise and pound foolish" deals. . . .

Lately my philosophy on such "consumables" is "go with the very best quality money can buy" -- Generally speaking, I find that this usually returns superior value in terms of dollars-per-mile, and IMHO it's without any question the cheapest kind of "insurance" you can get at any price. :thumbsup:

If I get decent mileage out of this X-ring chain, I may well find it worth the considerable effort of peening on another one next time.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

You need to grease them. Not the shoes, a la Velocette, but all the cams, nipples, spring hooks and pivots, followed by lubing the cable. Don't forget the bar lever. Then centre the shoes. With decent rubber on the rim, I can lock any of my MZ front wheels. All the ones I have seen that did not work well were bone dry. Scared the owners stiff when I had at them with a tub of grease but the results squeak for themselves. You just need to be sure to not put _too_ much on....

Best of all, after doing that I would get a solid year (over 19,000miles once) before having to do any more major work. My V50II, with allegedly superior discs, was a regular once-a-month job in the winter and got through at least two sets of pads a year.

m

You may notice I posted earlier that I would never buy another chain driven bike.

I'm the opposite. After 4 years of Guzzi ownership, I'll never buy another shaftie. Certainly never another Guzzi. I still can't believe I spent $16K on a brand spanking new project bike.

Rj