Rosso Corsa vs Standard Le Mans

Guest Sean Curry

Guest Sean Curry

Gents,

I am confused about some of the differences between these two 2003 machines.

My understanding is that the Rosso Corsa has an upgraded suspension and special graphics. Is that it?

Can anyone comment on whether the Rosso Corsa's susspension is better/more adjustable/more compliant the the standard Le Mans Marzocchi/Sachs units?

I actually prefer the solid color Le Mans over the Rosso Corsa, but was intrigued with the idea of owning a bike with Ohlins.

I am about 180 and would like to take a passenger from time to time.

thanks much for a great site,

sean in massachusetts

(not many Guzzi's around here)

The only other item that is different is the carbon fiber front fender. The Ohlins suspension is a plus in the tuning department. The new 2003 Lemans uses a new Marzocchi front fork that has rebound and compression dampening in both fork legs. Last year models had compression on one side and rebound on the other. I agree with you on the solid red color, but the Rosso will grow on you. :grin:

One other thing I noticed was some of the early 2003 Leman's still came with the wrinkle finish engines. That is another big plus on buying the Rosso.

Mike

Guest teros1

Actually, the forks on the '03 LeMans are adjustable for preload and rebound damping only.

The lack of compression damping adjustability could be a big drawback for some (heavy) riders and (aggressive) riding styles.

For example, it may limit the ability to control brake dive....

Actually, the forks on the '03 LeMans are adjustable for preload and rebound damping only.

Really!? ....that's a real shock. I'm very surprised to hear that MG went to all the trouble to "upgrade" the diameter of the front forks by 3mm, to then not allow for Compression adjustment. :homer:

Well, in that case, maybe the "old" 40mm units aren't so bad after all :rolleyes:

Of course, one could always get the '03 forks sprung and valved for one's correct weight and riding style, but it is too bad to hear that you can't adjust Compression Damping in the field.

When it's all said and done, I wonder how much better the new 43mm forks perform than the pre-2003 40mm Marz? Has anyone had a chance to compare? Just curious.

al