I'm In - oh a question or two please

turo

So here’s where I’m at so far.

I have decided to take the advice of some of you and have refrained from making any ergo mod’s to my Rosso Corsa (RC) to see if I adjust. I have many questions and I apologize in advance. My history with motorcycles has always been with Honda 4’s. I bought the RC for something different, and boy did I get it! I have no past experience to gauge the Guzzi’s performance by. I have tried to find the questions to many of my questions by searching the forum, man do you guys talk a lot :D I always seem to come up with 50 pages of info and it’s become difficult to sort thru it all. So if some of my questions are redundant, I again apologize. If you can point me to a relevant thread – that’d be cool too. Or just answer the questions you feel of are of interest to you and I’d be grateful for that as well.

1) Seat – this is definitely something that needs improvement, I’ve decided to pursue the Rich Maund seat. One, because of the positive reviews he’s gotten on this site and Two, because I just don’t like Corbin seats.

2) Handle bars – this needs to be addressed next, just a little further back and a little up! I am concerned about rising or lowering the forks thru the triple clamps to accommodate the mod, I just don’t want to do that. We’ve got the Two Brothers Racing bars, the Williamsville version, Jean Marc’s version and the Verlicchis. Which of these DO NOT require the triple clamps or forks to be adjusted?

3) Foot pegs – This one can wait! I may not need them if the handle bar mod proves enough as I may be “adjusting”. I don’t like the look of the Buell conversion. I’m deciding between the MotoBits/Evoluzione mod, which looks good and I understand that I’ll get better comfort plus tunable shifting and brake action and the Centauro mod which I think looks even better. I’ve read the MotoBits mod maybe a challenge for non large footed people (I’m a size 10). Any feedback?

4) The headlight works OK, but I want MORE! I understand that Greg Field has access to a relay kit to increase the light – anybody use this? Other suggestions? What about the Night Cutters by Saeng? Is there a way to have the high beam and low beams on at the same time? Will the circuit be able to handle it? Is there a better aftermarket headlight?

5) I’m working on the 5 relays for under the seat and a dry cell battery. I don’t know why, you guys just keep telling me to :D As a 2003 model, do I need the new relays?

6) Some “performance” questions!

- When I pull the clutch in while idling at a light, it’s rattles a bit, is this normal?

- I seem to get a bit of “drive line lash” when I shift from 1st to 2nd, just a bit from 2nd to 3rd, none after that. I originally thought it was the transmission taking a bit of time to engage – but I believe I’m wrong and it’s drive line lash with the shaft drive. I ALSO THINK it’s because the idle is a bit low, around 800 rpms. The problem seems to go away when I use the choke to keep the idle up. Any feedback?

7) The bike is pure joy to ride from 40 to 60 mph. It’s great for tooling around the back roads of New England. I took it out on the highway yesterday and while it was fun, the bike seems to be working hard at 85 miles per hour, the fastest I’ve gone. I guess I was afraid to go faster. The bike obviously goes faster that that. Someone please tell me what my experience should be at that speed or higher! What’s this PClll thingy.

8) When I turn the handle bars far to the left the forks bang up against the steering damper, is this right?

9) I will pick up the longer Buell mirrors.

10) Anybody put an oil temp gauge on this sucker?

11) The faqs page suggests that the tank suck issue on a 2003 shouldn’t be an issue, but man when I opened the gas tank yesterday after using half a tank of gas, boy did that tank expand. I was actually quite surprised by how much the tank expanded when open. Is this bad? What’s the fix short of removing the cap gasket?

12) Thanks everyone!!! When are we going riding?

Hello,

It's official, I am now a proud owner of my first Moto Guzzi!  I picked up a 2003 Rossa Corsa.  Love it!  Now that I've put 500 miles on it I have some questions.  At 6'1" I'm a bit tall for the ergos.  I've seen scatterd throughout the forum suggestions for mods. I'd like higher bars, lower pegs and a better seat so...

Two Brothers Racing and Verlicchi seem to make nice bars that keep the "look" - any feedback or other suggestions from those who've made the change?

A better seat please, any suggestions?  Corbin or Mr. Maund?

A read that a good peg change suggestion is to take a set off a Centuro.  Again any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

And last, I live in Worcester, Massachusetts, USA.  Any rides or events happening in my area?

Thanks for all the help!

-john

Hi John,

Well done on the new machine. Remember you have not purchased a new bike, you are the new caretaker of a hand made limited edition machine, with the respect it will urge out of you.

I can give you the name of one of the most respected Italian motorcycle aficiados in the entire country, who lives in your region, not sure how far from you. He holds and hosts many Italian bike rallies during the summer on the east coast. His name is Bob Andren, in Coventry, RI. A king of a man. PM me and I will give you contact numbers.

Ciao, Steve G.

93634[/snapback]

2) Handle bars – this needs to be addressed next, just a little further back and a little up! I am concerned about rising or lowering the forks thru the triple clamps to accommodate the mod, I just don’t want to do that. We’ve got the Two Brothers Racing bars, the Williamsville version, Jean Marc’s version and the Verlicchis. Which of these DO NOT require the triple clamps or forks to be adjusted

Williamsville risers bolt right on in about 10 minutes - no mods at all.

Guest Nogbad
5) I’m working on the 5 relays for under the seat and a dry cell battery.  I don’t know why, you guys just keep telling me to :D  As a 2003 model, do I need the new relays?

94429[/snapback]

Probably not. Even the old Siemens relays were not a sure fire failure. Mine still has a full working complement. Buy a spare 5 pin and spare 4 pin of whatever type and keep 'em under the seat.

- When I pull the clutch in while idling at a light, it’s rattles a bit, is this normal?

- I seem to get a bit of “drive line lash” when I shift from 1st to 2nd, just a bit from 2nd to 3rd, none after that.  I originally thought it was the transmission taking a bit of time to engage – but I believe I’m wrong and it’s drive line lash with the shaft drive. I ALSO THINK it’s because the idle is a bit low, around 800 rpms.  The problem seems to go away when I use the choke to keep the idle up.  Any feedback?

94429[/snapback]

Yes, clutch rattle is normal.

Idle is too low. Aim for 1100.

7) The bike is pure joy to ride from 40 to 60 mph.  It’s great for tooling around the back roads of New England.  I took it out on the highway yesterday and while it was fun, the bike seems to be working hard at 85 miles per hour, the fastest I’ve gone.  I guess I was afraid to go faster.  The bike obviously goes faster that that.  Someone please tell me what my experience should be at that speed or higher!  What’s this PClll thingy.

94429[/snapback]

I have had mine over 100 many times with no problem. Should feel rock steady.

A PCIII is an electronic bodging device that is not necessary or desirable. There are those who will disagree but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

8) When I turn the handle bars far to the left the forks bang up against the steering damper, is this right?

94429[/snapback]

What do you mean? Sounds like the damper isn't installed right.

94429[/snapback]

You can get temperature dipsticks with a gauge on. You would be better with an oil pressure gauge if you are adding dials

11) The faqs page suggests that the tank suck issue on a 2003 shouldn’t be an issue, but man when I opened the gas tank yesterday after using half a tank of gas, boy did that tank expand.  I was actually quite surprised by how much the tank expanded when open.  Is this bad?  What’s the fix short of removing the cap gasket?

94429[/snapback]

It is bad. Sounds like you have a case of tank suck. Check threads for "tip over valve" and make sure the valve is vertical, the pipe isn't kinked and that the valve is the right way up. Better a working valve than a leaky cap. But that's my opinion aqain and some may disagree.

By all means . . . invest in five new relays and a new battery. This from an RC owner who experienced failure of both items in less than 1800 miles. Cheap insurance.

I've never had any problem with tank suck, going 100mph + (rock steady) or forks bumping into steering stab. :bier:

Turo....

Welcome to the Fam.

Your out of Worchestershireshere? :)

I'll hook up w/ ya some Sat/Sun. @ The Vinillabean ..rt.169 in Pomfret Ct.

Good place to see some exotica and hit some nice rds. from. (30- 40mi south of you.)

Also the BMW National is comming to VT. 7-21...they love Guzzis.

Bring a tent, sleeping bag and refreshments and we'll scorch some rt. 30.

80mph? I just did 588mi comming home from the Alleygaineys and rarely went under 80. Thats only 42-4300rpms...bottom of the power band. Nailed wide open I've done

an indicated 135 and not for just a short blast. I've rode at + 100mph on the Guzzi more than on my Duc for the simple fact that it feels like it ain't no big thing on the Guzzi.

( The little Ducky does 100 easily but feels more.....frantic)

These things LOVE 80mph and can do it forever. I think you just have to get used to the big twin power plant after riding the big 4s for so long.

Turo....

Welcome to the Fam.

Your out of Worchestershireshere?  :)

I'll hook up w/ ya some Sat/Sun. @ The Vinillabean ..rt.169 in Pomfret Ct.

Good place to see some exotica and hit some nice rds. from. (30- 40mi south of you.)

Also the BMW National is comming to VT. 7-21...they love Guzzis.

Bring a tent, sleeping bag and refreshments and we'll scorch some rt. 30.

80mph? I just did 588mi comming home from the Alleygaineys and rarely went under 80. Thats only 42-4300rpms...bottom of the power band. Nailed wide open I've done

an indicated 135 and not for just a short blast. I've rode at + 100mph on the Guzzi more than on my Duc for the simple fact that it feels like it ain't no big thing on the Guzzi.

( The little Ducky does 100 easily but feels more.....frantic)

These things LOVE 80mph and can do it forever. I think you just have to get used to the big twin power plant after riding the big 4s for so long.

94527[/snapback]

I also might make the BMW rally, and possibly the Guzzi Rally at heath fairgrounds Aug 4, 5, hope to see some guzzi faithful.

I haven't changed the relays on my RC it came with bosch and seem ok so far 8500mi

that clutch noise is normal but annoying, my T3 doesn't make any noise like that what gives?

When my tank is nearly empty is relieves some pressure when opened, but not a huge amount, check vent hoses from the tank to sure they arn't pinched.

Get those olins dialed in and 100+ is not an issue, very stable bike in the turns!

waspp

Hey John - you might want to check your spedo cable where it enters the tranny. Many have broken so you should lube it real well and straighten the bend out a little. There is a thread on this.

Ralph

94881[/snapback]

Mine broke at 1200 miles. :homer: Hey Ralph . . . hows about looking up that thread and posting a link! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I'd ask that the moderator of this forum change the title of my topic to "Diary of my first Guzzi", and make it a permanent post :P I think other newbies might find value in all that I've learned in this process.

Anyway.

Took the bike for it's first service @ 3500 miles. All is good.

1) Oil changed - good. Tranmission is good it's a Guzzi, and the clatterry clutch, again it's a Guzzi.

I'm getting used to "my noises" and am learning what's normal.

2) Brakes good, although rear resivour was close to empty even though there was no sign of leaking. I have to keep an eye on that.

3) Tank suck fixed, I brought in the post to the dealership, they added an extended hose and tied the tip over valve to frame - thanks gentleman!

4) Steering damper mount was loose, it's now been tightend up. I almost dumped it when I went to park it for the first time after service. With the sterring damper no longer loose, the steering lock on the right came sooner than I was used to - thank God my reflexes are still good :P

5) Opted out of the oil pressure gauge as the dealer told me something about how the guzzi makes it's own adustments if the engine gets too hot and that my odds of causing any damage due to over heating were pretty slim - just check the oil regularly.

6) The idle was adjusted, it's now around 900 to 1k and I'm happy with that. I was having problems cold starting the bike. I was always leary of giving any throtle at start up, thinking it's fuel injected...WRONG, duh. Wow I give it some throtle and it starts right up - dope.

7) No problem with the speedo cable - thanks for the idea folks!

8) Ahh the performance piece. No offense guys but this is where we part company. The power band in this bike seems between 2k and 5k rpms. Once you get over 5k this bike is working for a living. 100+ mph takes the engine some work. For those of used to riding Hondas or 4 cyl BMW's, man it almost seems like the engines going to blow. Now I know it's not, it's just a whole different experience. Going 100+ mph on the Guzzi of course is fine and yes it's very stable, but it's way more fun in the 60 to 80 mph range. It's all that torque that makes you buy this bike. If I want 100 mph all day, I'm taking the Honda out :D

9) I have not yet made any ergo mods. The person who suggested I wait a bit was right, I am getting used to the position. I find it's city driving that's uncomfortable, once I'm at speed, 50 or better, I'm very comfortable, that wind holding you up and all. I'm also a little concened about using risers that may put me a little more upright. The fairing is pretty good where it's at. If I sit more upright, I find myself outside the fairing pocket and then I'll have to get a larger winshield and then..... At this point my feelings are, new seat, the foot pegs are fine, although the rubber pegs seem like a good choice and the handle bars just need to come back a bit, they don't need to be any higher, but give me 2 more weeks to change my mind again :)

10) I told the dealer that the ride was a bit stiff and they made some adjustments. On my first ride I noticed that the bike was tucking in too quick for turns. I do a search and what do I find, some great info from "Guzzirider" who had the same issues. Man now instead of going back to the dealer I can make my own adjustments - thank you!!! And the link to the Ohlins web site set up page was perfect too from "dangerous" - thank you again. I am just a bit confused about clockwise vs counter clockwise and if I am decreasing or increasing vs hydralic or spring adjusters. Any tid bits on that would be appreciated.

Well that's all for today. Thanks everyone for taking the time and making my riding enjoyment increase 10 fold :):):)

-john

So here’s where I’m at so far.

I have decided to take the advice of some of you and have refrained from making any ergo mod’s to my Rosso Corsa (RC) to see if I adjust. I have many questions and I apologize in advance. My history with motorcycles has always been with Honda 4’s. I bought the RC for something different, and boy did I get it! I have no past experience to gauge the Guzzi’s performance by. I have tried to find the questions to many of my questions by searching the forum, man do you guys talk a lot :D I always seem to come up with 50 pages of info and it’s become difficult to sort thru it all. So if some of my questions are redundant, I again apologize. If you can point me to a relevant thread – that’d be cool too. Or just answer the questions you feel of are of interest to you and I’d be grateful for that as well.

1) Seat – this is definitely something that needs improvement, I’ve decided to pursue the Rich Maund seat. One, because of the positive reviews he’s gotten on this site and Two, because I just don’t like Corbin seats.

2) Handle bars – this needs to be addressed next, just a little further back and a little up! I am concerned about rising or lowering the forks thru the triple clamps to accommodate the mod, I just don’t want to do that. We’ve got the Two Brothers Racing bars, the Williamsville version, Jean Marc’s version and the Verlicchis. Which of these DO NOT require the triple clamps or forks to be adjusted?

3) Foot pegs – This one can wait! I may not need them if the handle bar mod proves enough as I may be “adjusting”. I don’t like the look of the Buell conversion. I’m deciding between the MotoBits/Evoluzione mod, which looks good and I understand that I’ll get better comfort plus tunable shifting and brake action and the Centauro mod which I think looks even better. I’ve read the MotoBits mod maybe a challenge for non large footed people (I’m a size 10). Any feedback?

4) The headlight works OK, but I want MORE! I understand that Greg Field has access to a relay kit to increase the light – anybody use this? Other suggestions? What about the Night Cutters by Saeng? Is there a way to have the high beam and low beams on at the same time? Will the circuit be able to handle it? Is there a better aftermarket headlight?

5) I’m working on the 5 relays for under the seat and a dry cell battery. I don’t know why, you guys just keep telling me to :D As a 2003 model, do I need the new relays?

- I seem to get a bit of “drive line lash” when I shift from 1st to 2nd, just a bit from 2nd to 3rd, none after that. I originally thought it was the transmission taking a bit of time to engage – but I believe I’m wrong and it’s drive line lash with the shaft drive. I ALSO THINK it’s because the idle is a bit low, around 800 rpms. The problem seems to go away when I use the choke to keep the idle up. Any feedback?

7) The bike is pure joy to ride from 40 to 60 mph. It’s great for tooling around the back roads of New England. I took it out on the highway yesterday and while it was fun, the bike seems to be working hard at 85 miles per hour, the fastest I’ve gone. I guess I was afraid to go faster. The bike obviously goes faster that that. Someone please tell me what my experience should be at that speed or higher! What’s this PClll thingy.

9) I will pick up the longer Buell mirrors.

11) The faqs page suggests that the tank suck issue on a 2003 shouldn’t be an issue, but man when I opened the gas tank yesterday after using half a tank of gas, boy did that tank expand. I was actually quite surprised by how much the tank expanded when open. Is this bad? What’s the fix short of removing the cap gasket?

12) Thanks everyone!!! When are we going riding?