K&N pod filter

pShenk

I've been looking at putting on pod filters, partly to see what happens, partly cause I think they look cool, and partly to get rid of the airbox, so I have easier access to the rear shock (adjusting preload).

If anyone's done this, can you tell me what all is involved? Do they just slip onto the tubes coming from the throttle bodies? Anything tricky to removing the airbox? What K&N parts to get?

And is K&N the way to go for these? Are there any other pod type filter dealies that I should look at?

Another also, will this place any undue stress on the throttle bodies, since they'll be supporting these pods by themselves now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest genley
I've been looking at putting on pod filters, partly to see what happens, partly cause I think they look cool, and partly to get rid of the airbox, so I have easier access to the rear shock (adjusting preload).

If anyone's done this, can you tell me what all is involved? Do they just slip onto the tubes coming from the throttle bodies? Anything tricky to removing the airbox? What K&N parts to get?

And is K&N the way to go for these? Are there any other pod type filter dealies that I should look at?

Another also, will this place any undue stress on the throttle bodies, since they'll be supporting these pods by themselves now.

93652[/snapback]

I put K & N RC-2580 pod filters on my 2000 Sport and they fit just fine. I don't think that stress is an issue since they're quite small and light. I notice on seat of the pants dyno testing better throttle response and more grunt in 6th gear between 5 and 600 rpm indicated.

Contact Ratchethack on this forum,he's one of K&N's chief financial investors and can advise you which will suit you best.

His eternal praise of his favourite company can become tiring,but allow him his indulgencies,in his dotage his reminiscences become more romantic and misty eyed all the time. :D

I'm sure someone will put up a link to the wonderful stimulating debate he sparked,or try the search for K&N or something.

lets not go here again. K&N's are good enough considering do you want to go 175,000 miles with some awesome sound and looks untill she blows from all the dirt and debris and looses compression and so forth, or do you want to leave the boring quiet stock box and get 200,000 :huh2: I dunno I think I can live with my decision. :sun:

Lol, thanks all for the info. I should have seen that FAQ on my own.

Like I said, I kind of just want to try it and see what they're like. Some point down the road I might do an airbox mod, or go back to stock... or something.

I just installed a set of these guys:

UniFilter-Guzzi_72.jpg

from Sport Cycle Pacific

They go on very easily & they're custom made to fit on the throttle bodies.

I haven't had a chance to see how they really perform since I'm still in the process of installing & fitting a My15m ECU and oxygen sensor.

I'll post pics, eventually...

from Sport Cycle Pacific

I haven't had a chance to see how they really perform since I'm still in the process of installing & fitting a My15m ECU and oxygen sensor.

93761[/snapback]

Yep, I've been tempted by the Uni's also. I have an open airbox now and while the bike does seem to love to breathe the noise is really too much for my style of riding (sport-touring). I see pod filters as another option but have concerns about how well they actually filter and also the consequences of hanging the extra weight on the boots.

Yep, I've been tempted by the Uni's also.  I have an open airbox now and while the bike does seem to love to breathe the noise is really too much for my style of riding (sport-touring).  I see pod filters as another option but have concerns about how well they actually filter and also the consequences of hanging the extra weight on the boots.

93762[/snapback]

Dont worry about the weight of the k&n's Gil. They are extremely light & dont affect the boots at all. The main benefits of the pods for me is the looks, plus its easier to get to other things under the tank should you need to.

I see pod filters as another option but have concerns about how well they actually filter and also the consequences of hanging the extra weight on the boots.

93762[/snapback]

I'm not going to comment on the effectiveness of the pod filters because that horse has been beaten down harder than an oil thread. As long as they keep things like bugs, rats, crustaceans and Mormon missionaries from plugging up the intake, I'm happy. :thumbsup:

As for the weight and strain on the boots, there's really nothing to worry about. The weight of the stacks and filters aren't enough to push the TB's down more than 1mm. Also, at least on my bike, there's an aluminum support bar that connects the TBs together. The clearance between the center-bottom of the support bar and the top of the engine/gearbox case is about 5mm, so if you're really paranoid, you can wedge something between the two...

Just took the bike for its first test ride with the new stacks & My15m, and I'm quite pleased. I've got a lot of adjusting to do on the map, there's a 1/2 to 1 1/2 second hesitation when I really crank on the throttle, but when it does kick in, holy crap! Major improvement, and not a knock to be heard. So here's how the beast looks now:

o1.jpg

o2.jpg

I'm not going to comment on the effectiveness of the pod filters because that horse has been beaten down harder than an oil thread.  As long as they keep things like bugs, rats, crustaceans and Mormon missionaries from plugging up the intake, I'm happy.  :thumbsup:

As for the weight and strain on the boots, there's really nothing to worry about.  The weight of the stacks and filters aren't enough to push the TB's down more than 1mm.  Also, at least on my bike, there's an aluminum support bar that connects the TBs together.  The clearance between the center-bottom of the support bar and the top of the engine/gearbox case is about 5mm, so if you're really paranoid, you can wedge something between the two...

Just took the bike for its first test ride with the new stacks & My15m, and I'm quite pleased.  I've got a lot of adjusting to do on the map, there's a 1/2 to 1 1/2 second hesitation when I really crank on the throttle, but when it does kick in, holy crap!  Major improvement, and not a knock to be heard.  So here's how the beast looks now:

93768[/snapback]

Whats the attachment on your exhaust pipe for?

Whats the attachment on your exhaust pipe for?

93776[/snapback]

That's an oxygen sensor for the My15m ECU so it can adjust the fuel injection and spark advance. Don't quite have it dialed in yet, but from the one test ride, the bike runs a bit smoother. :bike:

• 3 weeks later...

from Sport Cycle Pacific

Those are SWEET!

I'm just installing my K&N pods now, and I'm wondering what people do with the air temp sensor that was mounted to the airbox? Just wire it up to the spine somewhere?