Experiences with Towing

dlaing

I just had a good towing experience with Glenn's Cycle Tow.

I highly recommend them to all San Diegans (or anyone needing a major tow in the US SouthWest) as they are truly a cut above.

24/7 619.454.4447 I am going to put their phone number in my toolkit.

For most tows within San Diego it is a flat rate of $100, which sure beat the $65 plus $5/mile quote I got from a mostly car towing company.

They were at my bike in less than half an hour(they are based in Escondido where I was stranded)

They lifted it into the pickup with a crane.

Strapped it securely (seven straps).

And I learned one important thing from Butch (I presume the owner operator, but who is Glenn?):

If you strap down suspension too tightly it can blow the seals!!!

Of course some of you may say, 'well, DUH!!!'

But for us ignorant mortals who thought tight meant secure, it was enlightening.

The whole process was very methodical with straps tightened in sequence and released in counter sequence...more obvious stuff that I had never thought about.

Now off to the garage to get more serious about my electrical charging problem.:luigi:

• 1 year later...
Guest SDMoto

I had the unfortunate experience of meeting Glenn on north bound I-15. I was in the left lane and he was in the lane to my right. His lane started to slow down and he suddenly changed into my lane which was moving faster than the lane he was in. I hit the breaks to avoid hitting him and the horn at the same time. He stopped his truck in the middle of the freeway, got out and started to road rage acting like a lunatic. He wanted me to get out of my car and fight him. He obviously has anger management issues. There is no reason to stop traffic and fight. This is the definition of road rage. I recommend using a service that is run by professionals.

• 3 months later...

128_2812.jpg

This the the AA collecting my bike after the suspension eye broke as agents under the Guzzi Recovery Scheme.

But my best towing story is as an 18 year old driving dad's Ford Transit Camper, towing my mate Bruce in his just bought fixer up Renault 5.

One of the front number plate rivets had come adrift and the aluminum plate swung down and started to grind against the road. Bruce being a bit concerned tried to attract my attention. He was too close for me to see his lights and I couldn't hear his horn over my radio. So he tried his brakes.

To me it just felt a bit sluggish so dropped a gear and gave it more welly. He had to give up before he boiled his brakes. Only had to endure another 25 miles of the tow from hell.

or is it the the brand new Range Rover delivering a brand new yacht that lost control on the M25 and rolled, and then watching the Highways Agency drag it on it's side to open up one carriageway whilst waiting for Rota garage.

I had the unfortunate experience of meeting Glenn on north bound I-15. I was in the left lane and he was in the lane to my right. His lane started to slow down and he suddenly changed into my lane which was moving faster than the lane he was in. I hit the breaks to avoid hitting him and the horn at the same time. He stopped his truck in the middle of the freeway, got out and started to road rage acting like a lunatic. He wanted me to get out of my car and fight him. He obviously has anger management issues. There is no reason to stop traffic and fight. This is the definition of road rage. I recommend using a service that is run by professionals.

What a shame.

I'll be sure to ask for Butch and refuse Glenn next time I need their service.

I can see why you would want to pass completely on their service.

My first bike in high school was a '72 CB500 that the guy wouldn't sell unless I found a buyer for the 185 TwinStar next to it. After some convincing and price haggling (I think he wanted $450 for both) I talked a friend into buying the Twinstar so I could get the 500. A short bus ride across town and the deal was done. Unfortunately upon arrival, we couldn't get the little 185 to start. Both had sat for quite awhile and the carbs were all gummed up. So, seeing as how the 500 was running (kind of) and there was a good length of rope laying there we concluded that the obvious fix was to tow the one with the other back to the house. After very little talk about the risks involved, Don rode the 185 in trail, with me piloting the 500. Amazingly, other than a lot of clutch slipping and a few near rear-endings, we made it the whole 7 or 8 miles through town without either crashing or getting busted by The Man.

My Dad was always telling us "you damn kids'll never learn. You'll just either survive or you won't I guess". Sounds about right.