Drip, drip, drip of fuel

Garsdad

Fueled the Tenni on the fourth of July, and went to a bar-b-que at a friend's house. Parked on the street, and came out later to show them the bike. There was a rather steady drip of fuel running down the inside of the tank (the side that straddles the frame) and onto the engine. I moved the bike to a flatter location, and it seemed to help.

Thought I just had gas going through the vent line. Rode it home, and the total miles from the gas station to their house and home should have burned enough fuel to stop it, especially on the flat of my garage.

Well, it didn't. Last night, I lifted the tank to see what I could see (next to nothing) and cleaned the fuel off the tank, airbox, etc. Placed a small block of wood under the sidestand to level it off more, and thought I was OK.

Today, there is a small puddle of gas under the bike.

If the vent were leaking, wouldn't the gas be running out the bottom of the vent tube, instead of running down the underside of the tank? even if the tube had a leak, wouldn't the majority of fuel still make it all the way down?

What else should I look for? I guess I will have to take the tank all the way off and make sure everything is properly attached. Any other hints?

Thanks,

Ryan

I think you'd have to pull the tank and find where the leak originates from, There are a couple of nipples that breather hoses (only one hose on my 03) attatch to underneath. I'm not sure if you have the internal fuel filter or an external one on the Tenni, but that could be a source , I think one position for the filter was forward under the tank, so a couple of joints to check. Hope the tank is in it's self sound.

At least the source should be obvious once pulled.

I think you'd have to pull the tank and find where the leak originates from, There are a couple of nipples that breather hoses (only one hose on my 03) attatch to underneath. I'm not sure if you have the internal fuel filter or an external one on the Tenni, but that could be  a source , I think one position for the filter was forward under the tank, so a couple of joints to check. Hope the tank is in it's self sound.

At least the source should be obvious once pulled.

94426[/snapback]

It's the external filter, and all is well there. I checked at the petcock, and the wires for the fuel level sensor. The wires were wet with fuel, but it was coming from above them. There are two other hoses under there, one that goes to the tip-over valve (that doesn't seem to be attached to anything) and the other that goes???

I guess I will disconnect everything and take the tank all the way off and then re-connect it all again. It is just such a pain in the ass- I can't make the last connection at the tank, since I can't see or get my hand up there once the tank is lowered to a point that the hoses will reach it, and with the tank in place routing the hoses is interesting at best.

I think I will drain the tank for now, and tackle this project next week. Might as will do this and check the shift return spring issue at the same time. I also have to push the locating arm for the bevel box back onto the bushing (or more correctly press the busing back into the arm) since it currently rubs against the box. Is this a common problem, and if so, what is the cure?

Thanks,

Ryan

I also have to push the locating arm for the bevel box back onto the bushing (or more correctly press the busing back into the arm) since it currently rubs against the box.  Is this a common problem, and if so, what is the cure?

Just fixed this bush on my Scura. Take the arm off the bike as it's likely both ends need replacing. Press or tap the bushes out remove the center sleeve from the bushes as you will be reusing these. Take both pieces to any local suspension shop they will measure them up and give you a poly type bush that your old center sleeve will slide into. Best bit being that this cost you less than ten dollars.

Mentioning a fuel leaking bike and B-B-Q in one post...  :D

94440[/snapback]

The real fun was finding a level place to put it far, far away from where we were lighting off fireworks!

Just fixed this bush on my Scura. Take the arm off the bike as it's likely both ends need replacing. Press or tap the bushes out remove the center sleeve from the bushes as you will be reusing these. Take both pieces to any local suspension shop they will measure them up and give you a poly type bush that your old center sleeve will slide into. Best bit being that this cost you less than ten dollars.

94435[/snapback]

I'm a little bit cheesed about this one... 1700 miles on the bike.

Hey Garsdad !!

sorry your having a hick-up with your baby.

l had fuel pouring all over the joint on mine last year when l turned on the ignition.....turned out to be a loose hose clamp

Good luck with the repairs, and maybe hook up with you one day for a ride.

:bier:

Cheers

Van

I'm a little bit cheesed about this one... 1700 miles on the bike.

94476[/snapback]

Know what you mean, fortunately though this is an easy cheap fix.

You would be a lot more cheesed off if you had to buy it from Guzzi. They only sell the whole arm, and the cost $400Aust.